Nuvi not talking to Mapsource (Epedmic)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nuvi not talking to Mapsource (Epedmic)

I was just helping a relative of mine who is also an RG contributor to install Garmin stuff and RG into his new laptop and new Nuvi 1450. By the way using winrar to open Mapsource ver. 6.15.7 to install without using training center words as well.

Was able to load the Contri map 2.03 and his Unlock code.
    When we tried to link the Nuvi to the computer and mapsource:
    1. Nuvi worked like it should.
    2. Computer detected as it should.
    3. Mapsource when downloading and uploading produces error:
    "There was an error communicating with the Garmin device GARMIN (G:\) , Please update the software in the device. Communication the device may continue with reduced functionality. Please contact Garmin support for assistance." He is using 6.16.X version

I have tested this same unit on my computer before and I got a unit ID, so I tested it again with my own mapsource, same error. I tried again with mapsource 6.15.7 on a different laptop, same Error. So my conclusion is that it is a problem with the unit.

I said Epidemic because I remember there are now quite a few members who have this problem:
    Monkeyking
    http://roadguide.ph/forums/showpost....68&postcount=8
    Besscm's problem is very similar as well:
    http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=4714

To those that are having problems with this, can you please post your Model number and firmware or software version?

NonoyT's Model. 1450
    software version 5.40
    Nuvi 1450 KP1 V5 LC 2GB PB

One thing to note, is that we still were able to upload the RG map into his unit. Coz we loaded it into the microSD card. However we couldn't download any of his Waypoints into Mapsource!

Any ideas/suggestions? At least I have a smoking gun, and I will try to monitor his progress with his problem.

TTFN
    Arvin

Am getting some error on my 1490T when transferring data from the unit to Mapsource. Am on software version 5.40. Am still using Garmin 6.13.7.

Comment

There is new firmware for Nuvis, 5.70. Am upgrading and let you know.

Comment

Upgrade to 5.70 went ok. RG map works.

Now testing if it works with Mapsource.

Comment

Was able to transfer and send data to my 1490 after upgrading the firmware to 5.70.

Comment

Great! Thanks Kuya Hardright! You singlehandedly killed this problem!

Will ask NonoyT to update his firmware Will also check other threads to suggest updating firmware. I usually do not suggest updating, but in this case, it'll fix the problem and mapsource and RG map will work as you mentioned so should not be a problem

Thanks very big time!

TTFN
            Arvin

Comment

You're welcome kuya. Glad to be of help.

Comment

Kuya Hardright,

You mentioned that Mapsource is able to "see" your unit but won't allow to upload right?

If I remember correctly this is what we also encountered with NonoyT's unit, Mapsource can actually see the drives, but won't install it to the unit itself, but it will install into the microSD.

I forgot though if we are able to get a Unit ID or not. When the problem was there, did it show the Unit ID? Also downloading Waypoints and tracks was also not possible.

TTFN
                Arvin

Comment

My mapsource can't detect my Nuvi 3490, but my computer can. how can i fix this?

Comment

Originally posted by gareth85 View Post
                    My mapsource can't detect my Nuvi 3490, but my computer can. how can i fix this?
                    by the way i already updated my garmin nuvi and still cant detect by mapsource

Model : nuvi 3490
                    Software version 7.10
                    GPS firmware 3.04.03

Comment

Gareth,

1. Try to update latest Mapsource.

2. If that fails, try basecamp.

TTFN
                      Arvin

Comment

I aleady updated my mapsource and Still not working. Basecamp for apple? Can you send me the thread how to use basecamp and insert map on it thanks in advance

Comment

By the way is it possible that the map source have no usb driver installed?

Comment

Here are some links:

http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=603

http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=5401&page=2

TTFN
                            Arvin

Comment

285w
                              Software Version 7.60

mapsource to device no problem, but when device to mapsource error in communication so and so....

Comment

Working...
                              X