Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4x4 trail vs unpaved road in the map..

Hi everyone... quick question

I just got a Ford Ranger and a CRF 250L and just last weekend I made it up to "Helipad" on my 1wk old CRF 250L and RoadGuide has helped me alot navigating to the peak. I think I am addicted to trailing and offroading and would want to take my Ford Ranger up to Helipad too and other trails.

In the map, I assume if the road is labelled as "4x4 trail" that it is passable by a 4-wheeled vehicle. Am I correct in assuming?

Originally posted by ravewave View Post
    Hi everyone... quick question

I just got a Ford Ranger and a CRF 250L and just last weekend I made it up to "Helipad" on my 1wk old CRF 250L and RoadGuide has helped me alot navigating to the peak. I think I am addicted to trailing and offroading and would want to take my Ford Ranger up to Helipad too and other trails.

In the map, I assume if the road is labelled as "4x4 trail" that it is passable by a 4-wheeled vehicle. Am I correct in assuming?
    Hi kuya ravewave. When a road is labeled as "4x4 trail" what it usually means is that it is suitable for off-road vehicles, difficult for cars. However, it is still best to do a recon (when possible) or to ask local people because there are some "4x4 trail" esp. in the mountains that are very difficult even for 4x4's, more so during the rainy season.

Btw congrats on you rides. I also got me a 250L last month and it's such a joy to ride in the mountains. I'm gonna do a a 13T CS upgrade next month that will improve it's torque in the trails...

Comment

Originally posted by Borgie View Post
      Hi kuya ravewave. When a road is labeled as "4x4 trail" what it usually means is that it is suitable for off-road vehicles, difficult for cars. However, it is still best to do a recon (when possible) or to ask local people because there are some "4x4 trail" esp. in the mountains that are very difficult even for 4x4's, more so during the rainy season.

Btw congrats on you rides. I also got me a 250L last month and it's such a joy to ride in the mountains. I'm gonna do a a 13T CS upgrade next month that will improve it's torque in the trails...

Here in Cebu, for those who like Off-Roading on Motorcycles, we have our Wiki Blog http://greentrails4cebubikers.wikifoundry.com/ and a Facebook Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/GTR.Cebu/

Not all motorcycles can cope with all the tracks and terrains we ride, but having said that, Matt seems to get his modified XRM (increased ground clearance and non-stock muffler) and fitted with Dunlop road tires (inflated to 30psi) is able to tackle most of our Green Trail Rides.

We have discovered certain Tracks, using RoadGuide.PH Maps, on our GPS, that are marked '4x4', so we assume these are NOT suitable for normal cars with limited ground clearance, and using standard road tires (that might not provide the grip on grass, dirt, gravel, rocks, mud etc).

In some cases. there may be alternate Route, that is not marked '4x4', and split the group into 'Dual Sport' motorcycles tackling the '4x4' and the others taking the alternate ROUTE.

On reaching the point on the RG.PH Map, where both ROUTES joined, we discovered the '4x4' ROUTE seemed both quicker and easier (as we arrived some time before those taking the non '4x4' track). Of course this does not mean the non '4x4' track was more difficult. perhaps in this case it was slower, due to increased distance (but did not appear significantly different on the GPS!).

I feel we need some 'guidelines' on 'Track Types' for 4x4 trail vs unpaved road in the map..!

There is not much point naming them '4x4' since potentially unsuitable for normal cars with limited ground clearance, and using standard road tires (that might not provide the grip on grass, dirt, gravel, rocks, mud etc), if suitable motorcyces, that can tackle them, but perhaps too narrow for '4x4' off-road 4 wheel drive vehicles.

There are some Tracks, that are NOT even suitable for 'normal' motorcycles!

There are some tracks, not suitable for Off-Road/Dual Sport Motorcycles (but can be tackled by Mountain Bikes)!

On Google Earth, I came across GEO-tagged Photos by Mountain Biker extraordinaire - Ronnie Muring, but how did he reach the GEO tagged places that Panoramio Photo, shows the location of?

The answer came from the following website:-

Signing up as a Member of WikiLoc.com, I could Download the .gpx Tracks that Ronnie Muring (and other Members of WikiLoc) had uploaded.

We have failed to follow some of the .gpx Tracks of Ronnie Muring!
      This might be due to track too narrow, too steep. or fences, or some other reason (that Mountain Bikes can overcome by carrying their bile over their shoulders and negotiating whatever 'hazard' prevents them from 'riding', at that point!

OpenCycleMaps have their own track/trail designations to assist bikers 'gauge' what might be suitable for the person and machine they are riding.

Comment

Originally posted by Britster View Post
        There is not much point naming them '4x4' since potentially unsuitable for normal cars with limited ground clearance, and using standard road tires (that might not provide the grip on grass, dirt, gravel, rocks, mud etc), if suitable motorcyces, that can tackle them, but perhaps too narrow for '4x4' off-road 4 wheel drive vehicles.

There are some Tracks, that are NOT even suitable for 'normal' motorcycles!

There are some tracks, not suitable for Off-Road/Dual Sport Motorcycles (but can be tackled by Mountain Bikes)!
        Good observations Britster. As regards the road naming convention, I think the limitation is with the Mapsource default categories that is followed by the map compiler.

Comment

Working...
        X