Garmin 265WT and Mac queries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garmin 265WT

I meant i cant test the new map version ( V1.06 or V1.01) since its for demo so i wouldn't know if several routes were already corrected.

Comment

Originally posted by alvatec View Post
      Thanks for the links Borgie and like i said, V 1.01 is the latest Version for the Mac and V 1.06 for Windows. Im a mac user so i have the V 1.01 ( the latest of mac i supposed) and I cant see any difference if i compare this to the Philippine routable map V 5.17 in terms of POI or road maps. Im not sure about the route because i can test it on my GPS. Im refering to Metro Manila maps only. So what else to contribute for Metro Manila Area? One way ? buildings ? wrong roads? please advice.
      Oops sorry, I missed the Mac reference, my bad. Anyways, there's a very nice thread by Dave_D here http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthrea...=5725#post5725 that answers your question. I myself have tried this on a friend's Mac. Basically what you do is download and install Garmin's MapConverter for windows to a Windows PC. That PC must have Mapsource containing the demo map v1.06. The demo map is then converted to a Mac compatible file using the MapConverter.

After it's been converted and copied to a Mac, it can be imported to Roadtrip using Garmin Mapmanager (both programs installed in the Mac of course). The demo map's road lines when viewed in Roadtrip is very similar to the OSM (Open Street Map) that you can view in the net. A road has two lines and has a certain thickness to it which is quite a change from what we're used to seeing in Mapsource.

Re you're question what else to contribute, please check the demo map v1.06 again. There are still lots of POIs like hotels, fastfoods & restos, business establishments, pharmacies, hospitals, gov't. offices like brgy. halls, gas stations, subdivisions, roads and road restrictions, & etc. that are not yet on the demo map v1.06. I'll sure you'll see it for yourself...

Comment

I meant i cant test the new map version ( V1.06 or V1.01) since its for demo so i wouldn't know if several routes were already corrected.
        For the routes, leave it to the contributors to check for now as you can't do routing on a demo map realtime. But if continue uploading and sending in your contributions and in due time they are deemed sufficient by the judge in terms of quality and quantity, you'll be testing the of the updated map sooner than you think...

Comment

265WT and Mac

Originally posted by Borgie View Post
          For the routes, leave it to the contributors to check for now as you can't do routing on a demo map realtime. But if continue uploading and sending in your contributions and in due time they are deemed sufficient by the judge in terms of quality and quantity, you'll be testing the of the updated map sooner than you think...
          Hi Borgie,

Its very clear now, that as junior member we can only contribute POI's for the time being. We leave the routing to the contributors for the time being hence we cant use the demo map on our NUVI.

Now about POI, there is MAP by Accu Maps that have excellent POI, can I just copy it and upload to the Big man. I think to make it easier and fun, we can get together and hopefully guys like ( expert ) you can join and teach us the right way to build the map. I;m sure a lot of Newbies out there would love to join us.

Alvatec

Comment

Its very clear now, that as junior member we can only contribute POI's for the time being. We leave the routing to the contributors for the time being hence we cant use the demo map on our NUVI.
            You can contribute routing anytime. In fact, anything a contributor can upload, a junior member also can. Leave the burden to the mods in sorting out whether your routes are already on the map or not. But please don't be discouraged sharing one just because you don't know if it's already there or not. But this applies to routing only as waypoints and tracks we do have a map to compare with.

Now about POI, there is MAP by Accu Maps that have excellent POI, can I just copy it and upload to the Big man.
            We would advise against copying from other maps. For one, we're not sure about the accuracy of their waypoints and if they're still existing. Better to go out with your gps and record for yourself. That's where most of the fun in mapping is.

I think to make it easier and fun, we can get together and hopefully guys like ( expert ) you can join and teach us the right way to build the map. I;m sure a lot of Newbies out there would love to join us.
            Well, we did already. Please see this....http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=446 and this....http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=601.

And more importantly, see this...http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=667
            Last edited by pokz; 06-16-2009, 00:06.

Comment

Hi Borgie,

Hi again. I think you've confused routing with tracking. When we say routing, it's navigating to a destination using the "Where to" function and have your Nuvi guide you to it voice prompts and all, following the magenta darkened road. When you are routing or to be more precise autorouting, you are recording tracks as well (if you've set it to) and these tracks can be uploaded if you think it's of better resolution than that on the map. Obviously, you can only do autorouting on roads that are already on the map, so you can't track new roads while autorouting and can't check it accurately either since you're using the older standard map, hence my previous post comments. You can record tracks (in the map or not in the map) by not using autorouting, just driving by those roads with the Nuvi turned on. HTH
              Last edited by Borgie; 06-16-2009, 17:32.

Comment

I ordered a Nuvi 285WT (cheapest with bluetooth?) and a Trackpoint Pro. I will get it January pa handcarried kasi by a friend.

Hope you are able to make yours work and post how you did it here or at the Nuvi thread.

Thanks

CMT/Carlo

Comment

Originally posted by CMT View Post
                  I ordered a Nuvi 285WT (cheapest with bluetooth?) and a Trackpoint Pro. I will get it January pa handcarried kasi by a friend.

Hope you are able to make yours work and post how you did it here or at the Nuvi thread.

Thanks

CMT/Carlo

hi carlo,

our map here is compatible with garmin nuvi products.
                  if you want to learn, read the "how to" section

thanks and good day
                  Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
                  - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Hi again. I think you've confused routing with tracking. When we say routing, it's navigating to a destination using the "Where to" function and have your Nuvi guide you to it voice prompts and all, following the magenta darkened road. When you are routing or to be more precise autorouting, you are recording tracks as well (if you've set it to) and these tracks can be uploaded if you think it's of better resolution than that on the map. Obviously, you can only do autorouting on roads that are already on the map, so you can't track new roads while autorouting and can't check it accurately either since you're using the older standard map, hence my previous post comments. You can record tracks (in the map or not in the map) by not using autorouting, just driving by those roads with the Nuvi turned on. HTH
                    Can the data produced by the Trackstick Pro <http://www.trackstick.com/products/trackstickpro/index.html> be used for contributing? I can have it mounted on a number of routes used by delivery trucks (up to Visayas area and Vizcaya/Cagayan/Etc. in the north).

Comment

Originally posted by hbt View Post
                      hi carlo,

our map here is compatible with garmin nuvi products.
                      if you want to learn, read the "how to" section

thanks and good day
                      I have 'save as mht' relevant pages plus the videos so I can start working on learning how-to once I get my hands on the unit.

Thanks

CMT/Carlo

Comment

Can the data produced by the Trackstick Pro <http://www.trackstick.com/products/trackstickpro/index.html> be used for contributing? I can have it mounted on a number of routes used by delivery trucks (up to Visayas area and Vizcaya/Cagayan/Etc. in the north).
                        I have 'save as mht' relevant pages plus the videos so I can start working on learning how-to once I get my hands on the unit.

Thanks

CMT/Carlo
                        Trackstick Pro data can be exported as gpx so it should be usable. Only thing not so good is it is only capable of 5-sec logging at maximum, but still acceptable if tracks recorded are not yet existing.

Comment

Thanks

CMT/Carlo
                          Daan ka sa bahay minsan. I'll show you the little that I know

Showed Jo my Nuvi na

Comment

Originally posted by swissknife View Post
                            Daan ka sa bahay minsan. I'll show you the little that I know

Showed Jo my Nuvi na
                            Oks, weekends lang ako normally pwede. I have loaded the standard map from here na. Will try to mark waypoints so I can start contributing. I will also try to do that 1s recording pagpunta ko ng Bulacan so I can contribute that too in case wala pa.

I am having trouble making the trackstickpro work though. I planned to have it installed kasi sa truck (wingvans) that goes to Visayas, Vizcaya, etc. I have 2 trucks and my nephew has 30 so that should cover a lot of roads

Comment

I am having trouble making the trackstickpro work though. I planned to have it installed kasi sa truck (wingvans) that goes to Visayas, Vizcaya, etc. I have 2 trucks and my nephew has 30 so that should cover a lot of roads
                              Wow that would indeed cover a lot of road. But best to check first the routes your trucks are taking in the demo map. Because if you'll be taking the main roads/national highways, chances are these are already in the map. And considering that the trackstickpro only records 5sec tracks, it might not be usable if recorded tracks only overlay the main roads. As Pokz said, tracks from the stickpro can only be considered if they are new tracks (meaning they are not yet on the map)... HTH

Comment

Wow that would indeed cover a lot of road. But best to check first the routes your trucks are taking in the demo map. Because if you'll be taking the main roads/national highways, chances are these are already in the map. And considering that the trackstickpro only records 5sec tracks, it might not be usable if recorded tracks only overlay the main roads. As Pokz said, tracks from the stickpro can only be considered if they are new tracks (meaning they are not yet on the map)... HTH
                                I seem to have gotten a lemon Trackstickpro. If I had known what I know now, I would have gotten multiple Nuvi's (855 was selling@$160) na lang used that even for the trucks. I now have to check how to RMA the defective to the US

Comment

Working...
                                X