help decide..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help decide..

hi, i'm a newbie about gps, and i am planning to buy my very first gps soon. i am choosing between a nuvi or the gpsmap 60CSX, i may be spending most of the time around the city but i would also like to have a gps that is capable of tracking my route when i let say got into a place that is still not in the map, or offroad, and i believe the "track logging feature" gives this ability for the gps to do so.. if i did the trick about making a nuvi to track log, will it also be able to do so and give correct datas (tracks) if i bring it with me while crossing the sea to get to another island? what's giving me second thoughts about the 60Csx is that it doesn't have the voice prompt feature, which i find cool, and i still haven't read enough infos whether it also performs very well on the highway... any inputs will be much appreciated... thank you..

60CSx user here. Determine first what you would be needing a GPS for the most. Is it for car navigation? Searching for POI's? For tracking? For use in outdoor activities like hiking, biking? Please read up on the Nuvi and 60CSx threads , lots of info there that will help you make an informed decision... Lots of pros and cons between the Nuvi and the 60CSx... Check out the user reviews in amazon.com too about both units, it's very informative. There's a good chance you'll understand more about the ways you can use both GPS... Good luck in your search...

Comment

hi sir, thanks for the immediate reply, i am considering a gps that is flexible enough, a gps that can be use in car or outdoor activities, and can record tracks, even offroad or at sea.. as a 60Csx user sir, how do you rate your gps? does it perform well on road? thanks

I'll also read up on the nuvi and Csx threads and do more research..
      Last edited by 5000rpm; 06-11-2009, 15:26.

Comment

Originally posted by 5000rpm View Post
        hi sir, thanks for the immediate reply, i am considering a gps that is flexible enough, a gps that can be use in car or outdoor activities, and can record tracks, even offroad or at sea.. as a 60Csx user sir, how do you rate your gps? does it perform well on road? thanks

I'll also read up on the nuvi and Csx threads and do more research..
        Before i decided to get the 60CSx, i did browse through many user reviews. A great majority of users agreed that it's the best bang-for-the-buck GPS. At amazon.com it garnered 4.5/5 stars from 439 users http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-GPS-60C...owViewpoints=1. It can withstand abuse and is built for the outdoors. Others have used them for car navigation and found that the "voice" thing is not that much of an issue (the 60CSx beeps instead when approaching a turn). It can be used in the sea as it is waterproof and can withstand even dunking in water. But it does not float, unlike the 76CSx. In the net, there was a comparison made with different Garmin GPS handhelds regarding satellite lock and tracking. Needless to say, the 60CSx came out on top .

I've used it so far in:

1.Tracking of roads and marking POIs (very good satellite lock even inside the car)

2. In mountain biking (tracking my trails then analyzing my speed at certain sections as it records min/max & avg speeds as well as stopped/moving/total time, can record elevation and in Mapsource plot a profile of my track showing how high i climbed with the bike and the speed at which i climbed it, can mark POIs even on the run),

3. In the air (saw what place was directly below & where we passed, knew the plane's airspeed and elevation, and one time when the plane was not able to land in our destination bec. of low visibility and was diverted to another airport, i knew we were diverted even before the captain made the announcement)

4. And tried it in the car and can do the job but prefer using XT as i have XT with the "voice" .

If i would rate it based on how i've used it, i'd give it 5/5 .

Would highly recommend it if it fits your need...
        Last edited by Borgie; 06-11-2009, 16:46.

Comment

and i think powered by AA batteries is also a plus... i guess you have already made the decision for me sir, thank you very much, this really helps a lot

Comment

Originally posted by 5000rpm View Post
            and i think powered by AA batteries is also a plus... i guess you have already made the decision for me sir, thank you very much, this really helps a lot
            Glad to be of help ... and get sanyo eneloop rechargeables too, holds a charge better than other rechargeable batts .

Comment

Now that you've decided to get the 60CSx, better check out this yahoo group to learn more about the 60CSx...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Garmin_GPSMap_60Cx_60CSx/

Comment

yep, sanyo eneloops are next on my list, will also be using these eneloops for another gadget.. but that's another story thank you very much sir.. will check out the yahoo groups too

Comment

and oh yeah sir, i forgot to ask.. does the 60Csx also have the garmin lock feature? their website doesn't specify whether it has it or not.. thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X