Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We bet our asses on the phil. gps map and..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We bet our asses on the phil. gps map and..

...what an adventure it has become.

In the US, I am not afraid of getting lost with the nuvi on my compartment ready to help anytime, so I go anywhere even if I am not familiar with the place.

Here at RP, I am not as confident, especially if I had to go somewhere remote. But last week, I relied totally on the nuvi and (ver. 1.05 of ) the roadguide map. The result is a fantastic northern adventure. Without the map, we wouldn't be brave enough to go this far. we went to vigan-paoay-batac-laoag-pagudpud etc etc. using nothing but the map to guide us.

Thanks to sir Jan and the rest of the gang here. Now, I am more inspired to contribute

Originally posted by jetro View Post

In the US, I am not afraid of getting lost with the nuvi on my compartment ready to help anytime, so I go anywhere even if I am not familiar with the place.

Here at RP, I am not as confident, especially if I had to go somewhere remote. But last week, I relied totally on the nuvi and (ver. 1.05 of ) the roadguide map. The result is a fantastic northern adventure. Without the map, we wouldn't be brave enough to go this far. we went to vigan-paoay-batac-laoag-pagudpud etc etc. using nothing but the map to guide us.

Thanks to sir Jan and the rest of the gang here. Now, I am more inspired to contribute
    Same here we went to those same place you've mentioned this holy week and relied totally with the gps map. It was awesome we saved so many time from asking directions and looking for places to go, we just plot the places and there it is. no hassle. My friends were very amazed with my unit and was asking me where to buy one and get the map.

Comment

some pictures of the trip...

Last edited by jetro; 04-29-2009, 15:10.

Comment

nice ride and pics

nice pics! i see you got a nice ride too! like mine he he he
        too bad when we had our long trip from legazpi-manila-baguio-tagaytay-batangas-legazpi i didn't have a gps unit yet. oh well, next long trip will be much less hassles thanks to our gps map! cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by jetro View Post

My sentiments exactly....Thank you to all those who worked on the map and the mods. Really saved us time from asking for directions just click and go no hassles.

Just one tip, if you set your gps to shortest route, and you are not familiar with where garmin asks you to go, dont drive there at night. Better to review your route before driving. When I used this setting my gps took me in those roads that few vehicles were passing, I think it's the old highway. It was faster, no traffic, but i would not suggest driving there at night hehehe.

Comment

Originally posted by mudspike View Post
            Just one tip, if you set your gps to shortest route, and you are not familiar with where garmin asks you to go, dont drive there at night. Better to review your route before driving. When I used this setting my gps took me in those roads that few vehicles were passing, I think it's the old highway. It was faster, no traffic, but i would not suggest driving there at night hehehe.
            i guess it's worth reviewing the route when driving at night...

i had the same experience here in new zealand... on a wellington-auckland drive, my nuvi 660 (set to shortest time) took me on a different route (than my previous navman iCN-530 does)... a considerable part of it was on roads where there was no other traffic... and on the hilly leg of the journey, i was actually left wondering how many days it would take before rescuers come looking for me should i accidentally drive off a cliff!

Comment

Same here...

We were off to Ilocos last holy week at 2 am. I noticed that the road (not the gps route my nuvi suggested) is shorter we tried it. Yes it was shorter but the road is smaller and it keeps on getting smaller and we were moving very slow because of uneven road and it was so dark.

We got worried there! What if we got an accident and we were miles away from civilization.

Lesson learned: Use the big roads (nuvi suggested) when travelling to an unknown territory

Comment

my preference with nuvi is always the faster route rather than shorter distance. but then again, it's not always safe that way, just last week I was trying some new roads that nuvi wants me to take (i am new to where I live, we just moved in at laguna). turns out that the road is in a very bad condition...not the nuvi nor the roadguide map's fault, is it?

its always a good idea to review the route before taking it, that is what we did before heading to Ilocos. Highways are generally safer though. And driving daytime on unfamiliar places is the wise thing to do.

In the US though, I take whatever road nuvi throws at me but then its a different story here. That's what contributions are for, to make a better roadguide map for

OT: @tailhook. I remember seeing you at tsikot, but are you also at club carens?

more pictures...

Last edited by jetro; 04-29-2009, 15:14.

Comment

On my side, I mostly use the compass....
                  Anyway, as long as you know where is the sea, you're not lost (all around )

Wonder why i get stuck ???

Last edited by ted; 04-30-2009, 01:08.

Comment

nice pics

jetro - i didnt join clubcarens as i wont be able to join group activities. masyado akong malayo sa mga eb.

Comment

Working...
                    X