Re-radiating GPS Antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-radiating GPS Antenna

I just received the re-radiating antenna I ordered online! I ordered it last Thursday and received it today.

Initial tests shows that it really works. I tested it in my garage with the active antenna on the gate (partial view of the sky only) and the radiating antenna part and my Nuvi/iPhone well inside the garage.

My Nuvi 300 picked up more sats and increased its accuracy up to 6-7m. My iPhone, which previously needs a clear view of the sky to lock on the sats got a 17m accuracy!

Will post more test results...

Hey Allan!

Why didn't you tell me you were ordering na? I should have ordered together with yours hehe Did it say how many db it is providing? Also, does it have a magnet for the external antenna so you can stick it on top of your car?

Best regards,
    Ryan

Comment

Hi yaozer!

It has a net gain of 28db. Yes the active antenna has a magnetic base as does any mouse-type externals. It is actually a 2 part kit. The active external antenna whose cable connects to the radiating antenna with its cable placed near a GPS device.

I bought the AA battery-powered one adding to its portability (most types are 12v and powered via the vehicle's lighter plug). I can really see the difference in signal and lock with the antenna turned on and off.

Go get one!

Comment

Hey Allan,

So where did you buy it? Do you have a link I can visit? I want to check it out hehe.. I wonder if it can help in navigating tight streets with high buildings. Sometimes I lose my signal in some parts of Binondo/Sta. Cruz.

Best regards.

Comment

http://www.pc-mobile.net/gpsant.htm

Haven't tested it yet in areas with high buildings. I don't see any reason why it won't hold lock in such areas as long as the antenna is properly positioned.

Comment

Okay thanks, I will check it out.

Comment

A few minutes of testing shows:

-3 meter accuracy with my Nuvi. Previously, the best I can get was 6 meters.
              -9 meter accuracy with my iPhone. 17 meters without the antenna.

Will try it in Makati later.

EDIT:
              Out in the open, my Nuvi locks with an accuracy of 2-3 meters and It holds its lock in Makati streets with a 8-12 m accuracy. My iPhone never goes beyond the 9-17 meter range.
              Last edited by amf; 01-13-2009, 10:09.

Comment

gps antenna

Hi,

I Would also like to buy an radiating gps antenna. Since my place in Binondo which has a lot of tall building and i took a while to lock on sat.
                maybe somebody also want to buy and make it a consolidate order. It might cost cheaper in freight.

Tom
                Nation's Laws are a reflection of national character

Comment

Too bad I didnt see this earlier. Not sure if I got a good external gps antenna. I purchased the Gilsson set instead. Its half the price of the garmin and outperforms it (daw) haha

Here's the link to it http://www.gilsson.com/external_gps_...comparison.htm

If you like to order online, pwede pasabay sa akin as I have stuff coming in every week.

Comment

Hi MFB,

Please post me if the Gilsson antenna you bought is OK. How much is the antenna? I found some cheap antenna in the ebay for less than 500.00 pesos. but I am reluctant to purchase. It might be low quality. The ADS is from HongKong.
                    Well if it is good I might buy one.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tomgotan View Post
                      Hi MFB,

Please post me if the Gilsson antenna you bought is OK. How much is the antenna? I found some cheap antenna in the ebay for less than 500.00 pesos. but I am reluctant to purchase. It might be low quality. The ADS is from HongKong.
                      Well if it is good I might buy one.

Tom

Im getting it this week. We should do a mini eb to those interested. I can arrange for a group buy to lower cost and shipping. :-)

I'll update this thread soon

Comment

Hello MFB

I hope some of the members are interested. So far only both of us are interested in the antenna. And maybe some of the member already got one.
                        Please keep me posted.

Comment

Originally posted by tomgotan View Post
                          Hello MFB

I hope some of the members are interested. So far only both of us are interested in the antenna. And maybe some of the member already got one.
                          Please keep me posted.

The gilsson comes as a set (magnet that attaches to the roof for external, windshield if you want inside, long cable, etc) Compared to the garmin, this is priced really low. I previously posted a link comparing the two . Sige, I'll post my hands on review here when I get to play with it in the weekend. Pag nahuli ni Mrs, eh di next week na ang review. haha

Comment

How much would the landed cost be if it were a group buy? Interested, but depends how much i guess.

Comment

Originally posted by swissknife View Post
                              How much would the landed cost be if it were a group buy? Interested, but depends how much i guess.
                              It should be cheaper. Since it is a small item. I think 2 to 3 pcs will not exceed the minimum size and weight of the package (for TNT and DHL). This is also depend on the shipper.

Comment

Working...
                              X