Newbie using Mac and Nuvi 265WT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie using Mac and Nuvi 265WT

I am quite new to GPS. I have a Lowrance GlobalMap 5200C on my boat that shows everything about 300 meters from where it should be and Lowrance were not interested at all in helping me fix it so I am trying the Garmin Nuvi 265WT for the car.

I will be very happy to help with adding roads etc in Davao when I can figure out how to do it.

I heard that Garmin is Mac compatible but in what way I have no idea other than I can plug it into a USB socket to charge the battery. If anyone else is using Macs and a Garmin GPS I would really appreciate any info.

Nuvi and Mac

sir Skywoolf:

This is the only option that I can suggest to you:
    Use "Parallels" (or any other similar apps) to run Windows on your Mac. Install Mapsource on the virtual machine (Windows) so that you can download/upload files from your Mac to your Nuvi and vice-versa (via USB).

Note: I have previously encountered connection problems using "thinner" generic USB cables. Use those that have thicker cables, like the ones supplied with digital cameras or external hard drives. HTH.

Comment

Thanks. If I really need it I will give it a try.

I am disappointed. I thought Garmin was more advanced and Mac compatible than that.

Comment

Hi Skywoolf and welcome to roadguide. Garmin is indeed Mac compatible if you have the necessary softwares. There's a thread here discussing that or maybe you can PM Dave_d for specifics... HTH

Comment

Thanks I will search around

Comment

I just found Garmin RoadTrip for Mac. Now things are looking up

Comment

Hi Skywoolf, welcome to RoadGuide and enjoy your stay!

Comment

Thanks. I appreciate what you guys are doing so I hope I can contribute.

Getting around the Philippines for a foreigner can be very difficult. The Roadguide map is a big help.

Comment

mac and nuvi 255w

hi skywoolf. i just got me a nuvi 255w.. and im using a mac.. is there anyway i could get advices on how u wer able to get urs using. thanks much.

Comment

Originally posted by alexphilspencer View Post
                    hi skywoolf. i just got me a nuvi 255w.. and im using a mac.. is there anyway i could get advices on how u wer able to get urs using. thanks much.
                    Hi alexphilspencer. Suggest you search and browse the threads and posts first regarding your question before asking such questions. It's been answered lots of times already. And who knows when browsing, maybe you'll encounter other interesting threads and posts as well that will further your knowledge about this great site of ours...

Comment

Go to http://versiontracker.com and search for Garmin Mac. You will get a list of the software you can download.

Comment

Originally posted by Borgie View Post
                        Hi alexphilspencer. Suggest you search and browse the threads and posts first regarding your question before asking such questions. It's been answered lots of times already. And who knows when browsing, maybe you'll encounter other interesting threads and posts as well that will further your knowledge about this great site of ours...
                        hi borgie.. yeap. im so sorry.. i asked this for the nth time.. i was just so excited to get my gps working that when i found out about this site.. i just blabbed..

anyway this has been very helpful.. im still reading through though..

i got to be honest understanding terms and how tos are overwhelming me, but given some time.. il be able to figure it out and have my gadget working..

using a mac here.

Comment

Originally posted by Skywoolf View Post
                          Go to http://versiontracker.com and search for Garmin Mac. You will get a list of the software you can download.
                          thanks skywoolf will try that.

edit: oh.. ithink i went to this link already earlier.. i found it out too on ur other thread.. i got the downloads already.. now im looking for that map to work on or put to my device.
                          Last edited by ; 09-10-2009, 18:21.

Comment

hi borgie.. yeap. im so sorry.. i asked this for the nth time.. i was just so excited to get my gps working that when i found out about this site.. i just blabbed..

anyway this has been very helpful.. im still reading through though..

i got to be honest understanding terms and how tos are overwhelming me, but given some time.. il be able to figure it out and have my gadget working..

using a mac here.
                            No need for apologies... All of us have been newbies at one time or another and in our excitement we tend to forget that the search button is our best friend. Welcome to Roadguide....

Comment

Working...
                            X