Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experiences of a European using the maps provided by you

Hi,
    my name is Mike and I am from near Geneva Switzerland. I am an experienced computer user and also experienced Garmin user.

Found your website through google with key words philippine road map. Registered, read Forum on maps. Followed the threads on downloading (on MS Windows XP System) and after expanding the map (from zipfile) copied it onto the main directory in my Garmin device (nüvi 255 w).

When I came to Manila, it worked immediately. I saw the maps and could move around. Saved me a lot of problems going from airport to Pasig City, Makati, etc.
    Used the map also in Bohol, Cebu, as well as north of Manila Olongapo, Clarke, Subic City etc. Especially in Cebut City it was tremendously helpful in finding our hotel, which otherwise would have taken us hours, as it did on our arrival there, because my batteries on my Garmin run out on me. Thereafter we found it within less than 30 minutes each time.

Maps were good as you could always tell the general area where I was and the direction. Map detail is by far not comparable to a bought map (but Garmin charges around 250$ for asia map and I needed only Philippines). So for a free map, together with a printed map, which I used for reference, when the satellite was lost or for planning, it was phantastic. Saved me probably many hours of useless driving around the country. So this post is to say Thank you to your team and to those who contribute to the forum.

As a detail remark. Some of the data is outdated, as it asked me several times to go one-way streets the wrong way or turn right or left, where it was not possible, because cement-roadblocks had been built in the meantime, forcing you to go straight-on. To correct the diversions the maps sometimes had me go around with several right- or left turns to bring me back on the original route. However, because Garmin was recalculating all the time the way, it was not easy in the heavy traffic around Manila to stick to the way. I found it in the end easier to know the general direction, and if some information on your maps was not correct to follow the general direction on larger roads untill the system had caught on.

One other remark. It probably would help for the computer illitarates, to take the 5 min which a pro would need to structure the download and install process in some place for easier reference, because at one point I almost gave up and did not want to continue. However, because I did, you now have a supporter. I only started with GPS stuff 6 months ago but I am sure, in less than 1 year I could be a good supporter and contributor, because I also record my road trips which I do on a motorbike and collect data. While I am now probably not much of a help to others (except for encouragement) it will be different in a year and what would happen, if I never came back to your site. You lost a good, capable supporter.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks and give you these hints. I will be back as a contributor at a later time, when I go again to the Philippines. As this was my first time, I focused on my needs. Next time it will be different.

best regards to the team

Michael

Originally posted by michaelobst View Post
    Maps were good as you could always tell the general area where I was and the direction. Map detail is by far not comparable to a bought map (but Garmin charges around 250$ for asia map and I needed only Philippines).
    and the 250$ would have less detail than the map you used...

So this post is to say Thank you to your team and to those who contribute to the forum.
    welcome, posts like yours make all the work worthwile.

As a detail remark. Some of the data is outdated, as it asked me several times to go one-way streets the wrong way or turn right or left, where it was not possible, because cement-roadblocks had been built in the meantime, forcing you to go straight-on. To correct the diversions the maps sometimes had me go around with several right- or left turns to bring me back on the original route. However, because Garmin was recalculating all the time the way, it was not easy in the heavy traffic around Manila to stick to the way. I found it in the end easier to know the general direction, and if some information on your maps was not correct to follow the general direction on larger roads untill the system had caught on.
    That's because you use the standard map version, become a contributor and get the better map, lots more detail, better routing, faster drawing, recalculation... all in all a completely better map

One other remark. It probably would help for the computer illitarates, to take the 5 min which a pro would need to structure the download and install process in some place for easier reference, because at one point I almost gave up and did not want to continue. However, because I did, you now have a supporter. I only started with GPS stuff 6 months ago but I am sure, in less than 1 year I could be a good supporter and contributor, because I also record my road trips which I do on a motorbike and collect data. While I am now probably not much of a help to others (except for encouragement) it will be different in a year and what would happen, if I never came back to your site. You lost a good, capable supporter.
    please expand on the structuring of the download... i do not see any problem with the way it is described (i may be wrong, wouldn't be the first time, sure won't be the last)...

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks and give you these hints. I will be back as a contributor at a later time, when I go again to the Philippines. As this was my first time, I focused on my needs. Next time it will be different.

best regards to the team

Michael
    Thanks again, for the hints and the kind words.

Cheers,
    Jan
    How to get the upgraded map.

It's a sick world and I'm a happy man...

Comment

Welcome to roadguide Michael. When you become a contributor, you'll get a much more complete and detailed map which I'm sure you'll enjoy using here. Thanks for the comments.

Comment

Hi,
        my name is Mike and I am from near Geneva Switzerland. I am an experienced computer user and also experienced Garmin user.

Found your website through google with key words philippine road map. Registered, read Forum on maps. Followed the threads on downloading (on MS Windows XP System) and after expanding the map (from zipfile) copied it onto the main directory in my Garmin device (nüvi 255 w).

When I came to Manila, it worked immediately. I saw the maps and could move around. Saved me a lot of problems going from airport to Pasig City, Makati, etc.
        Used the map also in Bohol, Cebu, as well as north of Manila Olongapo, Clarke, Subic City etc. Especially in Cebut City it was tremendously helpful in finding our hotel, which otherwise would have taken us hours, as it did on our arrival there, because my batteries on my Garmin run out on me. Thereafter we found it within less than 30 minutes each time.

Maps were good as you could always tell the general area where I was and the direction. Map detail is by far not comparable to a bought map (but Garmin charges around 250$ for asia map and I needed only Philippines). So for a free map, together with a printed map, which I used for reference, when the satellite was lost or for planning, it was phantastic. Saved me probably many hours of useless driving around the country. So this post is to say Thank you to your team and to those who contribute to the forum.

best regards to the team

Michael
        hi michael,

thanks for the post and welcome to roadguide and philippines.
        hope that one day, you'll also be a part of the group

good day to you sir
        Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
        - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Hi Michael!
          Welcome to Roadguide and welcome to the Philippines!
          I hope you have enjoyed your stay.
          Thank you for your comments.
          Have a nice and safe trip always.
          FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

Hi Michael, welcome to RoadGuide and enjoy your stay!

Comment

It's threads like this one that greatly encourage me to contribute more :-)

Comment

Working...
              X