Subic Bay Freeport, Zambales and Bataan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subic Bay Freeport, Zambales and Bataan

Greetings to all from Beautiful Subic Bay.

I just recently purchased a Garmin nuvi 265wt, its actually my 5th GPS device over the last 10 years and I really only took the step to buy this unit because of the availability of editable Philippine maps. Believe it or not I have previously navigated all over Luzon using my Blackberry's built in GPS and Google Earth. It wasn't easy but it was much easier than stopping every 10 mins to ask tricycle drivers.

We are already well down the track in making our tourism portal GPS friendly with searches, information and downloads for tourists visiting Subic Bay so I needed a Garmin unit.

I have no idea how to find out the version of the map in this GPS but it is really bare bones when it comes to the Subic-Zambales area, most of the streets are there but no street names at all or one way/private road blocks etc.

I would be happy to provide all street names and traffic flows for the area and non-tourism POIs but I want to be sure that this info is not already in another version of the map and I would be wasting my time duplicating the work of others.

Originally posted by SUBIC.COM View Post
    Greetings to all from Beautiful Subic Bay.

I just recently purchased a Garmin nuvi 265wt, its actually my 5th GPS device over the last 10 years and I really only took the step to buy this unit because of the availability of editable Philippine maps. Believe it or not I have previously navigated all over Luzon using my Blackberry's built in GPS and Google Earth. It wasn't easy but it was much easier than stopping every 10 mins to ask tricycle drivers.

We are already well down the track in making our tourism portal GPS friendly with searches, information and downloads for tourists visiting Subic Bay so I needed a Garmin unit.

I have no idea how to find out the version of the map in this GPS but it is really bare bones when it comes to the Subic-Zambales area, most of the streets are there but no street names at all or one way/private road blocks etc.

I would be happy to provide all street names and traffic flows for the area and non-tourism POIs but I want to be sure that this info is not already in another version of the map and I would be wasting my time duplicating the work of others.
    hi sir subic.com,

welcome to roadguide.
    if you want to be sure that your contribution will not go to waste, i suggest you download the mapsource, then download the v5.17 free map(you can transfer this to your nuvi), then download the v1.06 DEMO map to mapsource(the v1.06 DEMO map you CANNOT transfer to your nuvi), the v1.06 demo map will serve as basis whether your contribution is already in the map or not.(so that we wont have double entry)

the best way is to start reading the "how to" section, and if you have a question,post away and im sure some gentlemen or ladies will be happy to point you in the right direction.

good day to you sir
    Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
    - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Welcome sir..
      The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources. - A.E.

Comment

Originally posted by hbt View Post
        hi sir subic.com,

welcome to roadguide.
        if you want to be sure that your contribution will not go to waste, i suggest you download the mapsource, then download the v5.17 free map(you can transfer this to your nuvi), then download the v1.06 DEMO map to mapsource(the v1.06 DEMO map you CANNOT transfer to your nuvi), the v1.06 demo map will serve as basis whether your contribution is already in the map or not.(so that we wont have double entry)

the best way is to start reading the "how to" section, and if you have a question,post away and im sure some gentlemen or ladies will be happy to point you in the right direction.

good day to you sir
        Thanks for the welcoming words, I have already done the things you suggested, I didn't want to hit the forum while I was too green
        Unfortunately your suggestion doesn't work in this case. I did an initial contribution file of 20 new street names and 2 corrections, when I went to the upload thread I noticed that someone had done 4 uploads over the last 3 weeks in the same area as me, now based on the description his changes are not appearing on the demo map so I could be wasting my time redoing the same contributions?

Comment

Hello SUBIC.COM,

Pls check your PM from me.

I'm the one you noticed posting updates from this area.
          Last edited by trekker; 08-17-2009, 08:01. Reason: Clarity
          I stay on the leading edge of obsolescence!!
          "It seems to be a law of nature, inflexible and inexorable, that those who will not take risk cannot win" John Paul Jones

Comment

Originally posted by SUBIC.COM View Post
            Thanks for the welcoming words, I have already done the things you suggested, I didn't want to hit the forum while I was too green
            Unfortunately your suggestion doesn't work in this case. I did an initial contribution file of 20 new street names and 2 corrections, when I went to the upload thread I noticed that someone had done 4 uploads over the last 3 weeks in the same area as me, now based on the description his changes are not appearing on the demo map so I could be wasting my time redoing the same contributions?
            Hi subic.com and welcome to roadguide. The process is as hbt said it is. Don't mind the upload of other members contributing in the same area because even if by chance both of you contribute the same waypoints (very remote that all your contributed waypoints will be the same btw), the uploaded data will still be checked by the map compiler (Pokz) to see if it is located properly with correct icons and labels, and there is no conflict or duplication with other waypoints/POIs. And you will not be seeing your uploaded contributions in the demo map v1.06 either. All contributed data will be processed and included in the next map version which is v1.07 (check out the titles of the upload threads) and this version will be released very very soon. So don't worry too much about your contributions duplicating other contributions for v1.07, your contributions will still be credited to you. What you should worry about is if your contributions are in the demo map v1.06. HTH

Comment

Originally posted by trekker View Post
              Hello SUBIC.COM,

Pls check your PM from me.

I'm the one you noticed posting updates from this area.

This is the better solution to avoid duplication and for a more efficient mapping of your area... nice move trekker

Comment

Working...
              X