torn between 4 gps newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hi guys! i need to get a gps device in a couple of days for my connecting north luzon trips. i have a problem though. i did a research on available gps devices here in the philippines and i came across 4 devices.

1. garmin 760 with pre installed detailed philippine map (from a classifieds ad in sulit.com)
    2. avt a800 with accu-map
    3. www.car-navi.ph device with full detailed philippine map (that's what they claimed, speaks tagalog too!)
    4. garmin 750 refurbished no philippine map (from a bestbuy or circuitcity, thing is, I can't possibly get this in a couple of days, and hope I can contribute and get the detailed map hehehe)

any suggestions? sa akin basta I won't get lost following it and of course ease of use

thanks guys!
    Last edited by ; 08-15-2009, 19:07.

Hi pjpike!

On behalf of roadguide.ph, welcome!!
    We got some places to see...I brought all the maps with me...So jump right in...Ain't no sin...Take a ride in my machine.

- Freeway Of Love (Pink Cadillac), Aretha Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by pjpike View Post
      hi guys! i need to get a gps device in a couple of days for my connecting north luzon trips. i have a problem though. i did a research on available gps devices here in the philippines and i came across 4 devices.

1. garmin 760 with pre installed detailed philippine map (from a classifieds ad in sulit.com)
      2. avt a800 with accu-map
      3. www.car-navi.ph device with full detailed philippine map (that's what they claimed, speaks tagalog too!)
      4. garmin 750 refurbished no philippine map (from a bestbuy or circuitcity, thing is, I can't possibly get this in a couple of days, and hope I can contribute and get the detailed map hehehe)

any suggestions? sa akin basta I won't get lost following it and of course ease of use

thanks guys!
      hi pjpike,

if i were you i would buy it there circuit city or any store coz its still cheaper than buying it in manila. and i would choose garmin any model will do.then load it with the map here in roadguide. why?

our FREE map is compatible with all garmin unit.(because we're nice people here)
      avt unit are not as good. theres a thread here under OTHER GPS FAMILIES, you can read our reviews.

good day and God Bless
      Last edited by hbt; 08-15-2009, 13:58.
      Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
      - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

thanks sir!

Comment

thanks again! so you mean the maps here in roadguide is updated as well like u-turns, recently blocked streets etc? i want to be a contributor too!

Comment

thanks again! so you mean the maps here in roadguide is updated as well like u-turns, recently blocked streets etc? i want to be a contributor too!
            hi pjpike,

our free map here v5.17 is the map they claim to be their complete map.
            theres another map v1.06 which the contributor uses. once you contribute enough(waypoints, tracks,polygons) you'll be upgraded to contributor status then you'll get the MUCH MUCH better map(more complete in terms of waypoints, tracks) FREE.

welcome and hope to see your contribution soon
            Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
            - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

wow great! i'm definitely going to contribute! contribution means contributing new uncharted poi's and directions right? what if most of the places are contributed already by others? what else can i do to get the contributor's map? to be honest i have never held and used an actual gps device. so this is really a whole new league for me. so many questions in my head! it's just that my fiancee and i are planning on road trips before we get married hehe. we've never done road trips before so i guess this is the right time to get one!

Comment

760 looks good, AVT is priced higher, depends on your budget actually...have a great time with your new toy

Comment

Hi pjpike, welcome to RoadGuide!

Comment

wow great! i'm definitely going to contribute! contribution means contributing new uncharted poi's and directions right? what if most of the places are contributed already by others? what else can i do to get the contributor's map? to be honest i have never held and used an actual gps device. so this is really a whole new league for me. so many questions in my head! it's just that my fiancee and i are planning on road trips before we get married hehe. we've never done road trips before so i guess this is the right time to get one!
                    Welcome pjpike.

Believe me, there are a LOT of tracks, waypoints, etc. that you can contribute. The map isn't near to being complete that's why it's up to us members to contribute to make it as near to complete as possible. And there are always a lot of changes in street names, routes and waypoints. Just install MapSource and check out the 1.06 demo version so you can start contributing. The "how to" section is the place to start learning how to contribute.

I too just started a few weeks ago, once you get the hang of it it's really easy. And a lot of members here are very helpful and always willing to help you out if you have any questions.

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources. - A.E.

Comment

Working...
                    X