Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Garmin should I choose?

Hi, folks. Newbie here.

I'm looking to buy my first ever personally-owned GPS unit, for my car.

Aside from the usual navigational stuff, I'd also like to contribute to our Philippine map (mostly adding missing roads and naming roads, along with suggesting new POI's and waypoints). I think I can work faster using a laptop that can connect to the GPS unit.

Which Garmin model should I acquire for this?
    Certified Roadguide.ph Addict

Hi and welcome.

If you want something to connect to your laptop, a GPS Receiver with bluetooth or USB connection will serve you well. Then buy Garmin Mobile PC for navigation and DL Garmin nRoute for track recording.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
      Hi, folks. Newbie here.

I'm looking to buy my first ever personally-owned GPS unit, for my car.

Aside from the usual navigational stuff, I'd also like to contribute to our Philippine map (mostly adding missing roads and naming roads, along with suggesting new POI's and waypoints). I think I can work faster using a laptop that can connect to the GPS unit.

Which Garmin model should I acquire for this?
      Hi wohoo & welcome to roadguide. Since you want a gps that you can use in the car and at the same time can be connected to your laptop, you might want to consider the 60csx. It's a great handheld gps & mapping unit, has autorouting & can be connected to laptop using nroute. You can get more info about the 60csx & nroute in this forum. HTH

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys.

Am I really limited to those that you mentioned? Since I'm also pressed for time (I'm striking while the iron is hot, meaning, pumayag na si misis magpabili ako sa Canada, and our officemate who will be bringing it will be coming home in one week's time) and trying to keep the cost down, preferably 10,000 pesos or lower, I think I'll have to go for the Nuvi 255W. Can I still contribute using that one?
        Certified Roadguide.ph Addict

Comment

Am I really limited to those that you mentioned? Since I'm also pressed for time (I'm striking while the iron is hot, meaning, pumayag na si misis magpabili ako sa Canada, and our officemate who will be bringing it will be coming home in one week's time) and trying to keep the cost down, preferably 10,000 pesos or lower, I think I'll have to go for the Nuvi 255W. Can I still contribute using that one?
          hi sir,
          yes you casn still contribute using nuvi

thanks and good day
          Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
          - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Another option is this http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-eTrex-V...9281216&sr=8-1. The Etrex vista has almost the same features as the 60CSx and can be connected to the laptop as well with nroute. It's within your budget too. But if you want a car specific GPS, then it's the Nuvi for you... and yes you can still contribute using a Nuvi but as per your first post wish, you won't be able to connect that with the laptop...

Comment

I think you can work faster if you carry a pen and a paper to take notes while using your Nuvi. Edit them when you're at home, you can access Google Earth for more info.

They sell Nuvi at Costco in Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by snorkle View Post
                I think you can work faster if you carry a pen and a paper to take notes while using your Nuvi. Edit them when you're at home, you can access Google Earth for more info.

They sell Nuvi at Costco in Canada.
                i agree with you, But its only waypoints you can edit, make sure they are properly placed left or right of the street.
                tracks? they have to be your tracks.

Comment

Working...
                X