Newbie and totally lost, need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie and totally lost, need help

Hi guys, first of all I would like to let you know that I am a newbie, a lurker and a member of the forum for quite sometime now. I am in US right now and I'm going back to Philippines at the end of the month(July). Here in US, I use Garmin Nuvi 200 and I love it even though I know it is kinda outdated.

My problem right now is that I want to upload Philippine map on my Nuvi 200 while I am here in US. I've been reading through a lot of stuff at the howto corner but I am really totally lost and I dunno where to start.

Actually I've been thinking this for more that a thousand times before I post on the site because I know this has been answered before but I am really lost and dunno what to do.

Guys I would like to ask your help how do I go through this, what should I do, how do I start so I can upload the Philippine map to my Nuvi. I've read also that the demo map can't be use on the Nuvi? I am totally lost.

Hope to hear from you guys and I appreciate your help. Thanks a lot.

Originally posted by cwiggler2009 View Post
    Hi guys, first of all I would like to let you know that I am a newbie, a lurker and a member of the forum for quite sometime now. I am in US right now and I'm going back to Philippines at the end of the month(July). Here in US, I use Garmin Nuvi 200 and I love it even though I know it is kinda outdated.

My problem right now is that I want to upload Philippine map on my Nuvi 200 while I am here in US. I've been reading through a lot of stuff at the howto corner but I am really totally lost and I dunno where to start.

Actually I've been thinking this for more that a thousand times before I post on the site because I know this has been answered before but I am really lost and dunno what to do.

Guys I would like to ask your help how do I go through this, what should I do, how do I start so I can upload the Philippine map to my Nuvi. I've read also that the demo map can't be use on the Nuvi? I am totally lost.

Hope to hear from you guys and I appreciate your help. Thanks a lot.
    hi cwiggler,
    let me point you in the right direction
    actually first step is to read this http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=44
    then to do this http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=26
    after doing this you can transfer the 5.17 regular map to your nuvi
    then you download this http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=17
    now this is the 1.06 demo map and the map we use. you cannot transfer this to your device. this map serve as basis for contribution.(we hope that you do coz if you did enough contribution, you'll get the v1.06 contributors map, which is way better than the v5.17 map

the oher way is to do this http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=6

remember to save before run the files, if you have any question, just post im sure some good samaritan will help you

welcome to roadguide
    Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
    - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Hi HTB, thanks for the great info. Sorry I wasn't able to reply immediately due to work issues. Well I will try your advise and will let you know the results. Thanks again.

Comment

Hi HTB, thanks for the great info. Sorry I wasn't able to reply immediately due to work issues. Well I will try your advise and will let you know the results. Thanks again.
        hi sir,
        just to correct you a littlebit more
        its HBT not HTB hahaha no need for apologies
        beer will do
        Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
        - Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by hbt View Post
          hi sir,
          just to correct you a littlebit more
          its HBT not HTB hahaha no need for apologies
          beer will do
          If you have time, attend the EB to shorten the learning curve

Comment

Oh sure I would love to, when is the next EB?

Comment

HBT sure why not. I hunt you down when I arrive Phils at the end of the month. maybe we can drink beer somewhere together with the other members.

Comment

Hi guys, I just played around with my other Nuvi 260 this afternoon and here's the results.

I installed the training center program, installed mapsource and the routable map. now when i go to settings, map, map info, i found 2 entry. the first one is philippines roadguide and the other one is city navigator north america 2008.

I unchecked the city navigator north america 2008 and left the philippines roadguide ticked.

when I go to view map, i found out that i am still in US map but the map is plain and without any roads on it. If i zoom the map i could see the city of US in my state. My question is, does it mean that it works now but I couldn't lock my GPS to SAT since I am out of the Philippines?

Can I browse map or simulate even though i am not in philippines at the moment?

thanks a lot.

Comment

Hi guys, I just played around with my other Nuvi 260 this afternoon and here's the results.

I installed the training center program, installed mapsource and the routable map. now when i go to settings, map, map info, i found 2 entry. the first one is philippines roadguide and the other one is city navigator north america 2008.

I unchecked the city navigator north america 2008 and left the philippines roadguide ticked.

when I go to view map, i found out that i am still in US map but the map is plain and without any roads on it. If i zoom the map i could see the city of US in my state. My question is, does it mean that it works now but I couldn't lock my GPS to SAT since I am out of the Philippines?

Can I browse map or simulate even though i am not in philippines at the moment?

thanks a lot.
                  hi sir,
                  you can simulate it by zoom in on the location which is the phil. then save as current location and simulate it
                  to bring the map of US back you just have to check the city navigator US map again and it wont be blank anymore
                  HTH
                  - Bruce Lee

Comment

Hi hbt,

I tried what you suggested, i unchecked the US map and left Philippines map, goto view map but Philippine map is not showing. I still got the plain map without streets, so i zoom it and i could see the name of the cities here in my state is US. No Philippine map is showing.

I read somewhere about unlocking the map? what's that and do i need to perform that too? I also found out that when i switch back to US map I lost all the tracks, waypoints and favorities and I need to search for the address. well something's missing after.

thanks a lot.
                    Last edited by cwiggler2009; 07-24-2009, 13:41.

Comment

Hi hbt,

I tried what you suggested, i unchecked the US map and left Philippines map, goto view map but Philippine map is not showing. I still got the plain map without streets, so i zoom it and i could see the name of the cities here in my state is US. No Philippine map is showing.

I read somewhere about unlocking the map? what's that and do i need to perform that too? I also found out that when i switch back to US map I lost all the tracks, waypoints and favorities and I need to search for the address. well something's missing after.

thanks a lot.
                      hi cwiggler,
                      lets do this step by step
                      did you do this: http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=26
                      remember save first before you run
                      ok if you did it already, on the upper left side of the mapsource drop down menu select phil. routable 5.17
                      then to transfer the map to your nuvi, using mapsource "map tool" select part of the philippine map you want to transfer to your nuvi( the selected places will turn pink) then press transfer to device.
                      *- remember to save your garmin files
                      HTH
                      Last edited by hbt; 07-24-2009, 14:00.
                      - Bruce Lee

Comment

Hi hbt,

good day. yeah thats what i did on my first try. i will try to redo it again and see how it works. just want to clarify of what you have told me in your last post.

remember save first before you run -- > what do you mean by this?
                        remember to save your garmin files -- > should i backup all the contents of the device to my pc?

thanks a lot.

Comment

Hi hbt,

good day. yeah thats what i did on my first try. i will try to redo it again and see how it works. just want to clarify of what you have told me in your last post.

remember save first before you run -- > what do you mean by this?
                          remember to save your garmin files -- > should i backup all the contents of the device to my pc?

thanks a lot.
                          hi sir,
                          save it first before you run the file.
                          save your garmin files to a folder in your pc just in case something goes wrong(but you will be the first)
                          do you have mapsource?
                          - Bruce Lee

Comment

hi hbt, i think it works now. yeah i miss saving and set a default location so it still load the US map. i was able to simulate the map and it works fine. i am on my flight to Phils this time so after 16 hours i should be able to test the device. thanks a lot. next is how to contribute. can you refer me to a good and straight guide? thanks a lot.

Comment

hi hbt, i think it works now. yeah i miss saving and set a default location so it still load the US map. i was able to simulate the map and it works fine. i am on my flight to Phils this time so after 16 hours i should be able to test the device. thanks a lot. next is how to contribute. can you refer me to a good and straight guide? thanks a lot.
                              hi cwiggler,

you can start by reading this: http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthrea...=2949#post2949
                              for waypoints, download the v1.06 DEMO map to your mapsource(this is what we are using). use this as basis for waypoints contribution so that we wont have multiple entry.
                              you cannot download or transfer this(v1.06 DEMO map) to your nuvi.

the best way would be the hands on tutorial. how?!!, if you can, join the EB.
                              http://www.roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=777
                              cococabana is located in kalayaan st. its near rockwell mall

the mods and member will be there
                              bring your laptop if possible. i assume you got the mapsource already right

thanks and good day to you sir happy flight
                              - Bruce Lee

Comment

Working...
                              X