No announcement yet.

Newbie Nuvi 1350 user

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yest Doki that is what I meant, I was expecting to see the new icons of HBT's TYP on mapsource when editing. It comes out in the contributor's map on mapsource but it's not in the menu. Thanks for clarifying.

If I had any criticism about the TYP..... I'd PM HBT, hahahaha!

Oh I am going around the Tagaytay/Taal area this weekend, and I have to congratulate the contributors in doing a great great (as in Major Major) job on our map... I noticed because most waypoints that I thought I'd contribute ended up being on the map already. Too bad the 1350 has some weird quirks that does not show most POIs even set with greatest number of POIs.

Also I am going to use the GPS today for the first time on a road that I am not familiar with... in other words I will be doing "fly by wire by GPS" this morning, I hope whoever updated the Tanauan route did a good job... I'll report back tonight about it, and give my compliments

Changing topic a bit, what was the consensus again Kuyas about the naming of the streets? We name them with the current street names as shown on street signs right?

Oh and I noticed almost all street signs in Talisay town were erased, probably going to do some renaming. I guess in this way we members will never run out of things to contribute, coz everytime there is change in government leadership they change the street names

TTFN
    Arvin

Comment

donr forget to set your 1 sec. Recording, just in case
      Thanks
      Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
      - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Originally posted by arvin555 View Post
        Yest Doki that is what I meant, I was expecting to see the new icons of HBT's TYP on mapsource when editing. It comes out in the contributor's map on mapsource but it's not in the menu. Thanks for clarifying.
        uhmmm. kuya arvin, i think you are referring to kuya pokz's reply.

Originally posted by pokz View Post
        @arvin,
        the typ icons will never show up in addition to the default icons in mapsource if i get your concern correctly. they only modify those pois in the map that have no definite icons after compiling. unless garmin decides to release a new mapsource version that has more icons, this will always be the case.

Changing topic a bit, what was the consensus again Kuyas about the naming of the streets? We name them with the current street names as shown on street signs right?
        yup. upload the name of the street as shown in street sign posts.

Oh and I noticed almost all street signs in Talisay town were erased, probably going to do some renaming. I guess in this way we members will never run out of things to contribute, coz everytime there is change in government leadership they change the street names
        you are right there.
        there will always be something to contribute. new establishments, closed establishments, renamed establishments, new streets, renamed streets, newly-routed as no entry, no left turn.

enjoy mapping

Comment

If I had any criticism about the TYP..... I'd PM HBT, hahahaha!
          i guess hbt's inbox will be full soon.

Comment

Originally posted by pokz View Post
            i guess hbt's inbox will be full soon.
            wahhhhhhh.....empty hahaha
            Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
            - Bruce Lee

Comment

Yes sorry Doki I meant Pokz' comment.

I'm back home, collected quite a few waypoints and tracks, though I was hitting my head like this when I went through Tanauan from Tagaytay and realized I freaking forgot the 1sec tracks.

I have to say though that the Tagaytay to Tanauan then to maharlika highway route was spot on, Kudos to the contributor who updated it.

I did see some routing improvements needed near Tanauan Market. Will upload soon

Yeah, I am so happy I joined you guys, now I am an amateur cartographer (is this the right term for us?)

Yes HBT no comments yet, and don't worry it won't be too negative, and I also imagine that there might be restrictions that might prevent my suggestion/comment to be implemented. As I said I love those bridge Icons though.

I actually found out some quirks and limitations of the nuvi 1350, for example, it's weird that not all POIs are displayed when in 3D mode, and heck even on Track up mode. The only time I see the POIs really is when I tap the screen and I get I don't know what mode it is but I can add a waypoint with that mode. But when my vehicle moves the display does not move with the vehicle, so it's not an ideal mode to be in anyway.

Also when I tap the screen and the POIs get shown, the map orientation changes, I think for example from track up to North up I guess. Sometimes very confusing.

TTFN
              Arvin

Comment

when you tap the screen from navigation mode, you're in a "browse map" mode in a north-up orientation (in my 765 you can still view it in 3D mode though). that's normal. it doesn't go on a follow-vessel or in our case, follow-car, or as we call it auto-center mode though as it's meant for either panning and zooming to browse through your map or to save a point.
                with regards to your navigation on-screen POIs, pros and cons - sometimes it clutters the screen anyway, but if increasing your map detail doesn't satisfy your craving for more on-screen POIs while navigating, then that is the limit.

HTH
                Last edited by B2Bomber; 08-30-2010, 22:57.
                ʇɐʞө uoʇµ!uɓ p∩ʇ ʍɐʎ bo!uʇƨ, ꞁөɐ٨ө uoʇµ!uɓ p∩ʇ pʁөɐq ⅽʁ∩wpƨ, ʞ!ꞁꞁ uoʇµ!uɓ p∩ʇ ʇ!wө.

Comment

Originally posted by B2Bomber View Post
                  with regards to your navigation on-screen POIs, pros and cons - sometimes it clutters the screen anyway, but if increasing your map detail doesn't satisfy your craving for more on-screen POIs while navigating, then that is the limit.

HTH
                  Unless you buy the Taiwanes version!
                  Questions? Check Out The: "HOW TO"

Comment

B2 Thanks, I guess that is what I get for getting an entry level, another quirk is that some of the keyboard keys are hard to get an output from, specially the A letter for example. Oh well quirks of my unit. I am not sure if the protective film might have some effect on it. But the north up orientation in browse mode is confusing.. but need to get used to it.

Jonatle, how do you mean unless the Taiwan version? Is it better? I read it is cheaper than the other version.. which I have.

Reason I like all POIs to be displayed is that I often see a POI not on my map, so I mark it as waypoint then when I review on browse model it's already there, which is a bit frustrating, sometimes I end up deleting maybe half of my marked waypoints when I review

Sorry newbie mode again.. I'd post it in the right topic but I find it might clutter the how to topics. I will post your answers there for reference purposes if you like.

Anyway my questions:

1. Can someone please give me the link on the Enye (as in el nino) thing? I was looking around for it in how to page but can't find it I need to put a name that has enye and can't remember how to do it, I know here is a post that has instructions for it.

2. Can someone clarify, I have a few Waypoints that I don't have too much details on, should I still post it or not.

a. Bridge, Church- No name. But I have several so should I name it Bridge 1 and Bridge 2, etc.? or better not upload that?

b. Police station but no other details, like Brgy name or whatever, just Police station.

c. I am not 100% sure if the street name I know is correct or not, better not upload it right?

d. Basketball gyms but no details like brgy name.

Please let me know if the above are uploadable or better not.

TTFN
                    Arvin

Comment

1. http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthrea...ight=character

2. yes

a. upload them and let the mappers sort it out

b. http://roadguide.ph/forums/showpost....31&postcount=3
                      try to find out if you can (google it or something). if not upload it and try to find out later

c. yes

d. try to know
                      - Bruce Lee

Comment

@arvin - what jonatle meant when he said Taiwanese are the units whose firmware are from Taiwan, AKA localized or S.E.A. region. As your unit was bought in Singapore, it is most likely localized/Taiwanese/SEA region version already, also because you say you can see your POIs while in navigation mode.

2.d. if it's a new track and you're not sure of the name, you can upload it without a name, I guess erring on accuracy's side, rather than naming it inaccurately. IMHO. But then a correction by somebody or even yourself is bound to rectify it anyway. hmm... hehe.

HTH
                        Last edited by B2Bomber; 08-31-2010, 15:52.
                        ʇɐʞө uoʇµ!uɓ p∩ʇ ʍɐʎ bo!uʇƨ, ꞁөɐ٨ө uoʇµ!uɓ p∩ʇ pʁөɐq ⅽʁ∩wpƨ, ʞ!ꞁꞁ uoʇµ!uɓ p∩ʇ ʇ!wө.

Comment

B2 Thanks for the info about Taiwan model, yeah I guess mine is Taiwan model.

Regarding Tracks or new roads, noted, will upload them even if I don't know the road name.

But how about Waypoints?

I have waypoints that is labelled only as:
                          Bridge
                          Bridge 1
                          Bridge 2

or

Brgy Hall
                          Police Station
                          Police Station 1

I wonder if these are acceptable, compared to if they are not marked. I think that with Police station it is better to mark them because of the nice GPS feature that shows the nearest Hospital or Police station, I think that was a great idea.

TTFN
                          Arvin

Comment

Regarding Tracks or new roads, noted, will upload them even if I don't know the road name.

But how about Waypoints?

Bridge
                            Bridge 1
                            Bridge 2

or

Brgy Hall
                            Police Station
                            Police Station 1

I wonder if these are acceptable, compared to if they are not marked. I think that with Police station it is better to mark them because of the nice GPS feature that shows the nearest Hospital or Police station, I think that was a great idea.

TTFN
                            Arvin
                            Bridges may be uploaded even without proper name.
                            Bridge 1, Bridge 2, Bridge 3 is ok. although i prefer Bridge Bridge. Bridge.. Bridge... as the "dots" gets automatically deleted during processing, so no need for me to erase the numbers.

Police stations will be accepted. much better if with phone numbers but not compulsory. but pls do name them by Municipality or Barangay, example Calamba Police Station or Police Station - Calamba

Comment

But how about Waypoints?

Bridge
                              Bridge 1
                              Bridge 2

or

Brgy Hall
                              Police Station
                              Police Station 1

TTFN
                              Arvin
                              bridge 1, 2, 3 will be fine. police station is ok also.

but brgy hall should at least have the name included, because that's where we mostly rely finding a particular brgy. and inclusion of address makes it perfect.

Comment

Thanks very much Gurus! All noted.

Aha, nice tip about using dots, that will be very useful for me plus convinient for you.

Hahaha, if only we can get some kind of indication how much new waypoints and new tracks we need to contribute for the next map to be compiled But then again we are just now savoring the latest version. Anyway that should not prevent me from using my current momentum about contributions

Plus I am excited that I have found out that there is a whole town that is still unmapped and I am hoping to be the one to do it for the group. Unless someone beats me to it.

Thanks again!
                                TTFN
                                Arvin

Comment

Working...
                                X