Going back to Zamboanga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going back to Zamboanga

Hello everyone. I presently reside in New Jersey but I'm going back to my beloved Zamboanga City next month. I've been using a Garmin here since 2005 and I can say that gps is one of the most useful tech ever. I want to buy an inexpensive GPS as a gift for my dad who loves to travel around Mindanao. GPS prices in the US have really gone down, I bought my ancient C330 for $400 and it was a bargain at that time. Anyway can anyone from Mindanao recommend me a good unit to use in the Philippines and Mindanao in particular? How well does the GPS work in Mindanao? Thanks.
    Last edited by ; 07-10-2010, 03:38.

Originally posted by Chavacano View Post
    Hello everyone. I presently reside in New Jersey but I'm going back to my beloved Zamboanga City next month. I've been using a Garmin here since 2005 and I can say that gps is one of the most useful tech ever. I want to buy an inexpensive GPS as a gift for my dad who loves to travel around Mindanao. GPS prices in the US have really gone down, I bought my ancient C330 for $400 and it was a bargain at that time. Anyway can anyone from Mindanao recommend me a good unit to use in the Philippines and Mindanao in particular? How well does the GPS work in Mindanao? Thanks.
    Welcome to Roadguide. I recommend that you purchase out there the Gps as its much much cheaper there to buy rather here in the Phils. Although as you can see in the vendors forum in this site, we have some few members who sell I would say at reasonable prices too, you will not spend shipping costs to Mindanao as most vendors are in Manila . For the proposed unit, It depends what your father intends to do so like if its just for traveling by car, then I recommend the Nuvi series, 4.3" screen of Garmin -for automotive use. If he intends to do outdoor- hiking etc... portable handheld units will do like the 60 Csx series, Colorado, Dakota series etc... (main disadvantage -smaller screen). You can upload the gps with our free map on this site (version 1.07) and it would cover not only in Mindanao but whole Philippines. Gps here works well throughout the country or I would say the Roadguide contributors map extensively cover the whole Philippines and its free if you become a contributor. Kindly browse the site further for more information. Pls feel free to ask questions if you need more info.

Comment

First question to ask yourself is what are you going to use the GPS for? If it's just street navigation in an auto, a Nuvi is a good choice. If it's on a motorbike and habal habal trails, then you want something a little more rugged, like a Zumo or possibly a hand-held. If it's for hiking/climbing, then you definitely want a hand-held like the 60 CSx.

If you decide on a Nuvi, realize that they come with features that are not available here, like lane-change guidance and traffic alerts, so get the model that fits your needs but without the unnecessary bells and whistles.
      Experiencia Docet

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I am referring to automotive GPS. I am familiar with the different Garmin models and their specific use. I am looking at a basic unit since I am sure that advanced features like lane assist and real time traffic will not work there. Is the roadguide map compatible with all Garmin models? How extensive is the map for Mindanao? Anyone have first hand experience of using the map in Mindanao?

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I am referring to automotive GPS. I am familiar with the different Garmin models and their specific use. I am looking at a basic unit since I am sure that advanced features like lane assist and real time traffic will not work there. Is the roadguide map compatible with all Garmin models? How extensive is the map for Mindanao? Anyone have first hand experience of using the map in Mindanao?

welcome to roadguide

nuvi 205w (w is for wide screen)is the base model. but if you add a little you can use the 265w which has bluetooth capability which i find very useful if you sync with your celphone.
          download mapsource, the free standard v1.07 map to your nuvi.
          download the v1.13g demo to your mapsource and take a look at the mindanao map there
          and if you contribute enough data you can get and DL the v1.13 contributor map to your nuvi for free (same as the demo map except that it can be downloaded to your nuvi)

heres how: http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=1526&page=7

thanks and God Bless
          Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
          - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Well , majority of major point of interest are there specially major cities (but I enjoy contributing datas in more remote areas), I used it a lot in Cagayan De Oro , Davao, Agusan, Gensan, Sultan Kudarat, Dipolog, Ozamis, Iligan, Bukidnon etc... but not in Zamboanga but in the future , I will be getting the tracks in Zambo (I missed the curacha) Either by air , by land and sea. Yes- Its compatible to Garmin model
            Last edited by jspalaroan; 07-10-2010, 10:23.

Comment

It's nice to find an active forum like this where member are always willing to help a newbie. I guess I will go ahead and buy a new GPS. If it does not work well in Zambo I can alway bring it back with me and return it to the store. Oh I can't wait the get my hands dirty eating curacha, haven't been home in 5 years. Also try SATTI if ever you're in Zambo. Thanks for the help.

Comment

It's nice to find an active forum like this where member are always willing to help a newbie. I guess I will go ahead and buy a new GPS. If it does not work well in Zambo I can alway bring it back with me and return it to the store. Oh I can't wait the get my hands dirty eating curacha, haven't been home in 5 years. Also try SATTI if ever you're in Zambo. Thanks for the help.
                We were once a newbie then and we have same sentiments. I believe it will work well. We envy the consumer protection there where you can return the product if not satisfied w/ no questions ask unlike here. You can try uploading already the free version 1.07 to your gps and see for yourself. (this is were the challenge begins) . The "how to" section in this site will guide you further. By the way, some of our members bought their gps at Amazon as it would appear the cheapest as far as online purchase is concerned. Good luck

Comment

Working...
                X