Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie from Cadiz City

Greetings!

I am from Cadiz City Negros Occidental. I got myself a Garmin Nuvi 780 about 3 weeks ago from a shop in Manila.

when i connected my unit thru the USB data cable into my pc, i found that my nuvi 780 was loaded with the following "img files" inside the "Garmin" folder each with corresponding date of modifications:

1. gmapbmap.img - 01 1, 04
    2. gmapbmap.sum - 08 21, 99
    3. gmapprom.img - 03 30, 10
    4. gmapprom.sum - 08 21, 99
    5. gmapprom1.img - 11 9, 09
    6. gmapsupp.img - 10 18, 08

Questions:
    1. What are those 6 files I listed above?

2. Why are there 2 files with identical file names but with different file extensions (files number 1-4)?

Why are there 2 files with only "img" file extensions (files 5-6)?

3. Do i have the most recent contributor's Philippines road map or just a demo map?

4. I tried opening each of the 4 files (those with "img" extension) listed above but an error message says "no mountable file system". What's the reason for this?

5. I tried opening each of the 2 files (those with "sum" extension) listed above but an error message says "there is no default application specified to open the document". What's the reason for this?

6. I have an IMac computer, where do i download mapsource that could run in Mac OS?

Finally i'd like to be an active part of this group because there are very plenty POI (resorts, scenic trails, historical places, mission schools, etc) from where i'm at which i'll gladly share to everyone.

Thank you very much and more power!

Originally posted by gigasupergreat View Post
    Greetings!

I am from Cadiz City Negros Occidental. I got myself a Garmin Nuvi 780 about 3 weeks ago from a shop in Manila.

when i connected my unit thru the USB data cable into my pc, i found that my nuvi 780 was loaded with the following "img files" inside the "Garmin" folder each with corresponding date of modifications:

1. gmapbmap.img - 01 1, 04
    2. gmapbmap.sum - 08 21, 99
    3. gmapprom.img - 03 30, 10
    4. gmapprom.sum - 08 21, 99
    5. gmapprom1.img - 11 9, 09
    6. gmapsupp.img - 10 18, 08

Questions:
    1. What are those 6 files I listed above?

2. Why are there 2 files with identical file names but with different file extensions (files number 1-4)?

Why are there 2 files with only "img" file extensions (files 5-6)?

3. Do i have the most recent contributor's Philippines road map or just a demo map?

4. I tried opening each of the 4 files (those with "img" extension) listed above but an error message says "no mountable file system". What's the reason for this?

5. I tried opening each of the 2 files (those with "sum" extension) listed above but an error message says "there is no default application specified to open the document". What's the reason for this?

6. I have an IMac computer, where do i download mapsource that could run in Mac OS?

Finally i'd like to be an active part of this group because there are very plenty POI (resorts, scenic trails, historical places, mission schools, etc) from where i'm at which i'll gladly share to everyone.

Thank you very much and more power!
    Welcome to roadguide.
    A. Answers for 1, 2, 4 & 5: below are the typical folders that you will see in you unit which are self explanatory. Folder contents vary and depends on the model of your unit.

B.Answer for No. 3 -If you see a Philippine map, chances are its a demo map and outdated as recent/current map (version 113) are earned via contributions, meaning you have to contribute so you can get an unlock code if it warrants.Bayanihan. If your status is junior member, you need to become a contributor status first.

C. Answer for No. 6- Pls refer to link below:

http://roadguide.ph/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34

D. Lastly pls refer to the link below:

http://roadguide.ph/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23

* gmapbmap.img - Garmin base map (worldwide map)
    * gmapprom.img - Garmin pre-programmed (preloaded) map. Back up this file before deleting or overwriting it.
    * gmapprom1.img - Garmin pre-programmed (preloaded) map. Back up this file before deleting or overwriting it.
    * gmapsupp.img - This is the common file name for Garmin maps
    * gmapsupp.unl - Unlock code file for Garmin supplementary map.
    * gmaptz.img - Garmin time zone map. Leave this file alone.
    * GUPDATE.GCD - Used for Garmin firmware update. Leave this file alone.
    * Locales.xml - stores default language, currency sign, time zone, etc settings for different countries.
    Last edited by jspalaroan; 04-26-2010, 06:43. Reason: removed info not needed

Comment

Originally posted by jspalaroan View Post
      Welcome to roadguide.
      A. Answers for 1, 2, 4 & 5: below are the typical folders that you will see in you unit which are self explanatory. Folder contents vary and depends on the model of your unit.

B.Answer for No. 3 -If you see a Philippine map, chances are its a demo map and outdated as recent/current map (version 113) are earned via contributions, meaning you have to contribute so you can get an unlock code if it warrants.Bayanihan. If your status is junior member, you need to become a contributor status first.

C. Answer for No. 6- Pls refer to link below:

http://roadguide.ph/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34

D. Lastly pls refer to the link below:

http://roadguide.ph/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23

* Diag folder - used by Garmin
      * ExtData folder - used by Garmin
      * GPX folder - stores your trip log. You can open the GPX files within this folder with Mapsource
      * Help folder - stores help files in different languages
      * JCV folder - stores Junction View files on models which support such feature
      * JPEG folder - stores Nuvi's default pictures and splash screens. You can add more jpg files into this folder
      * POI folder - stores custom POI and travel guide files. These files are with .GPI extensions. It is ok to delete these files if you are sure you don't want them
      * RemoteSW folder - used by Garmin
      * scrn folder - stores your screen capture images. The files are in bitmap (BMP) format and could be opened with Window's Paint application
      * Text folder - stores default and custom messages and keyboard layouts. These are text files with .GTT extensions. You can edit them with a text editor. More info
      * Vehicle folder - stores Garmin vehicle icons. Files are with .SRF extension. You can add and delete these files. More info
      * Voice folder - stores Garmin voice guidance files. Files are with .VPM extension. You can delete unused voice files but do so with care. More info
      * GarminDevice.xml - stores information about your Nuvi to facilitate tranfer of data to/from your Nuvi. Leave this file alone.
      * gmapbmap.img - Garmin base map (worldwide map)
      * gmapprom.img - Garmin pre-programmed (preloaded) map. Back up this file before deleting or overwriting it.
      * gmapprom1.img - Garmin pre-programmed (preloaded) map. Back up this file before deleting or overwriting it.
      * gmapsupp.img - This is the common file name for Garmin maps including those from MFM.
      * gmapsupp.unl - Unlock code file for Garmin supplementary map.
      * gmaptz.img - Garmin time zone map. Leave this file alone.
      * GUPDATE.GCD - Used for Garmin firmware update. Leave this file alone.
      * Locales.xml - stores default language, currency sign, time zone, etc settings for different countries. Leave this file alone.
      kuya jim,

hmmmm.....sure you didnt work for garmin before
      Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
      - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Thanks a lot jspalaroan cheers and more power to you

Now on becoming a contributor i presume i need to download and install MAPSOURCE unto my computer - be it a mac or pc, right?

furthermore, i presume that MAPSOURCE is the application i need to be able to upload, download map files to and from my garmin nuvi.

MAPSOURCE is also use to edit maps as well as add info to a map that i will submit as contributions?

Comment

Thanks a lot jspalaroan cheers and more power to you

Now on becoming a contributor i presume i need to download and install MAPSOURCE unto my computer - be it a mac or pc, right?

furthermore, i presume that MAPSOURCE is the application i need to be able to upload, download map files to and from my garmin nuvi.

MAPSOURCE is also use to edit maps as well as add info to a map that i will submit as contributions?
          Mostly correct except for the editing part.

Comment

right.

right.

no. you can not edit the map. you submit contributions, roadguide mappers edit and compile, we get new version.
            FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

Welcome to Roadguide gigasupergreat! One of our best Roadguide kung fu mapper is from nearby Sagay. If you want to quickly learn the ropes, Tofu's the man . But beer's on you j/k...

Comment

@Reiji0463 - thanks for a more elaborate explanation, for a newbie like myself your effort and time is very much appreciated.

@Borgie - i thought kung fu masters don't drink beer but tea (mas cheaper kasi hehe j/k). thanks for the info will try sending him a pm.

more power to everyone!!

Comment

Working...
                X