Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rookie Contributor from Taytay

Hi Chiefs,

Got myself a 255W and looking to contribute as much as I can to get the contributors map. I will start tomorrow.

Been reading the whole site for days and so far this is how my workflow will
    be as I understand it.

I'll be sticking with POIs in Taytay, Makati (Salcedo Village) area and Angeles City

1. Identify potential targets that are not on the latest demo map. (Fastfoods, Police Outpost, Major stores, Gasoline stations, Convinence stores, Bayad centers etc)

2. Use my Nuvi to get the coordinates (and write it down?, is there a way to record POIs in the Nuvi?)

3. Plot it on the mapsource either manually or download (from my Nuvi if that can be done)

4. Edit it (proper symbol, correct naming convention, distance, comments etc.)

5. Save it to the appropriate upload thread.

6. PM Jan and ask if my initial contribution is correct and acceptable.

7. Do this 100x more once everything is ok, upload.

8. Notify the Judge for my contributions.

9. And wait for the contributors map.

Did I miss something?

Cheers!
    Last edited by jomjayo; 12-22-2009, 13:22.

Looks like you got it

Welcome, jomjayo

Excellent introduction post.

Originally posted by jomjayo View Post
    2. Use my Nuvi to get the coordinates (and write it down?, is there a way to record POIs in the Nuvi?)
    Yes - when you're at your POI, Tools, Where Am I?, Save Location - then just tap in the name of your POI

3. Plot it on the mapsource either manually or download (from my Nuvi if that can be done)
    Yes - with your Nuvi connected to your computer via USB cable, from Mapsource select the Receive From Device icon or use the Transfer menu on the menu bar.

And if you need any help, just ask.

Regards,
    Experiencia Docet

Comment

Hi Chiefs,

Got myself a 255W and looking to contribute as much as I can to get the contributors map. I will start tomorrow.

Been reading the whole site for days and so far this is how my workflow will
      be as I understand it.

I'll be sticking with POIs in Taytay, Makati (Salcedo Village) area and Angeles City

1. Identify potential targets that are not on the latest demo map. (Fastfoods, Police Outpost, Major stores, Gasoline stations, Convinence stores, Bayad centers etc)

4. Edit it (proper symbol, correct naming convention, distance, comments etc.)

6. Save it to the appropriate upload thread.

7. PM Jan and ask if my initial contribution is correct and acceptable.

8. Do this 100x more once everything is ok, upload.

7. Notify the Judge for my contributions.

9. And wait for the contributors map.

Did I miss something?

Cheers!
      hi sir jomjayo,
      1. good
      2. yes there is a way ( press the car icon on the navigation screen/ "where am i" will appear, press save location, type in the name) remember to record which side of the street
      3. after number 2 is done, you can transfer it to mapsource and edit it.
      4. dont forget to read the "waypoint standard" at "how to" thread regarding the distance, lettercase, etc...
      5. (you forgot #5)
      6. correct
      7. the mods and the major contributor will check it out and correct you if needed
      8. correct
      7. ??? back to 7 again hahaha but correct
      9. correct but dont stop contributing

BTW... your unit can record tracks using the 1 sec. track. check this out: http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=384&page=2

thanks and happy holidays
      Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
      - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Originally posted by hbt

BTW... your unit can record tracks using the 1 sec. track. check this out: http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=384&page=2
        I have read this thread but my understanding about tracks and routes are not sufficient at the moment so I will stick first to providing POIs. Hopefully I will grasp the more advance topics as I frequent this site.

Originally posted by hennme69c
        Yes - with your Nuvi connected to your computer via USB cable, from Mapsource select the Receive From Device icon or use the Transfer menu on the menu bar.
        After doing this transfer, all the waypoints I got from my unit are bunch together. Is it acceptable to submit several waypoints on a single gdp file? Or is there a quick way to separate them so that I can submit them individually.

Comment

I'm off to my first plot just awhile ago.

I was testing the accuracy of my GPS unit so I decided to try with existing POIs.
          To my surprise my readings are way off. At least 20 meters off from their existing counterparts.

Apple Seed Montessori and Cuisine Francaise

Is this normal? Are we supposed to disregard the readings and instead move the POI to the correct spot in the map ?
          What could be the reason for this? I though GPS devices are accurate within ~ 3 meters...

Update:
          Upon further inspection, I noticed that My house's (Taytay,Rizal) coordinates are accurate, I used the same device.

Thanks!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by jomjayo; 12-22-2009, 17:22.

Comment

I'm off to my first plot just awhile ago and I noticed that my readings are way off the map even thought I was at the right place.

Apple Seed Montessori - standing 10 feet from the entrance, (I intend to reference the entrance closest to the road) capture my coordinates with my nuvi, when I upload it on mapsource using demo map, it ended at the other side of the road. Same thing happen with Cuisine Francaise which is also way off.

What could be the reason for this? Is it possible that my Nuvi is giving erroneous reading? the disparity is more than 20 meters.

Thanks!
            Hi Jom.
            Welcome to Roadguide.
            One reason for that is your signal lock. If signal is poor in that area, chances are reading will be off. Signal is affected by nearby bldgs, tall trees, etc.
            Just make sure that you have idea on its location then edit it in mapsource.
            BTW, I have uploaded a ton of POI correction in Salcedo area. If you will be recording waypoints for banks, restos, convenient stores, pls wait for 1.10 version. However, POIs for bldgs need a lot of correction. These POIs must be located at main entrance of each bldg. Right now there are a lot of them located at its center. When located at center, you can be routed at it back depending on where its nearer. So we need to correct it one by one. I did have corrected some of them along Ayala Ave.
            As for Taytay, we need waypoints along Rodriguez and Rizal Aves. Right now we only have a little.
            I hope to see your contributions soon.
            FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

I'm off to my first plot just awhile ago and I noticed that my readings are way off the map even thought I was at the right place.

Apple Seed Montessori - standing 10 feet from the entrance, (I intend to reference the entrance closest to the road) capture my coordinates with my nuvi, when I upload it on mapsource using demo map, it ended at the other side of the road. Same thing happen with Cuisine Francaise which is also way off.

What could be the reason for this? Is it possible that my Nuvi is giving erroneous reading? the disparity is more than 20 meters.

Thanks!
              This is in Makati.
              Trust me you cant get a decent signal around Salcedo and Legaspi Village areas. Unless you got one of those re-rad antennas.
              I used map and pen when I corrected POIs on these areas.
              FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

Originally posted by Reiji0463 View Post
                Hi Jom.

As for Taytay, we need waypoints along Rodriguez and Rizal Aves. Right now we only have a little.

i did send a couple of Rodriguez and Rizal Aves. waypoints last month... however, additional contributions from Jom would very much be welcomed.

Comment

After doing this transfer, all the waypoints I got from my unit are bunch together. Is it acceptable to submit several waypoints on a single gdp file? Or is there a quick way to separate them so that I can submit them individually.
                  Yes to the multiple waypoints in a single file. I once submitted a file with 80 waypoints within a mall - no problem as long as it's done right.

Zoom all the way in to the highest level (20 meters if in metric units). There has to be separation between POI's - they can't be on top of each other.

If you have the POI's displayed on the screen and choose the Selection Tool icon (the one that looks like a standard mouse pointer), you can click on a POI twice (not a double-click, two single clicks) and you will be able to easily move the POI. Move it to the street and drop it, then move it away from the street 8 to 10 meters per standard. That's the easiest way to position a POI.

See example here: http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=64
                  Experiencia Docet

Comment

Originally posted by Liv View Post
                    i did send a couple of Rodriguez and Rizal Aves. waypoints last month... however, additional contributions from Jom would very much be welcomed.
                    Hi,

I noticed that Rizal Ave is labeled as Rodrigues Ave.... were you able to correct this already for ver 1.1?

I will try to cover the whole stretch and also SM Taytay this holiday season. Hopefully I could make worthwhile contribution with my time off.

Comment

Originally posted by hennme69c View Post
                      Yes to the multiple waypoints in a single file. I once submitted a file with 80 waypoints within a mall - no problem as long as it's done right.

Zoom all the way in to the highest level (20 meters if in metric units). There has to be separation between POI's - they can't be on top of each other.

If you have the POI's displayed on the screen and choose the Selection Tool icon (the one that looks like a standard mouse pointer), you can click on a POI twice (not a double-click, two single clicks) and you will be able to easily move the POI. Move it to the street and drop it, then move it away from the street 8 to 10 meters per standard. That's the easiest way to position a POI.

See example here: http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=64
                      Thanks, this should make it very easy then.

Comment

Originally posted by Reiji0463 View Post
                        Hi Jom.
                        Welcome to Roadguide.
                        One reason for that is your signal lock. If signal is poor in that area, chances are reading will be off. Signal is affected by nearby bldgs, tall trees, etc.
                        Just make sure that you have idea on its location then edit it in mapsource.
                        BTW, I have uploaded a ton of POI correction in Salcedo area. If you will be recording waypoints for banks, restos, convenient stores, pls wait for 1.10 version. However, POIs for bldgs need a lot of correction. These POIs must be located at main entrance of each bldg. Right now there are a lot of them located at its center. When located at center, you can be routed at it back depending on where its nearer. So we need to correct it one by one. I did have corrected some of them along Ayala Ave.

Wew that explains a lot, thanks chief.

Comment

Hi,

I noticed that Rizal Ave is labeled as Rodrigues Ave.... were you able to correct this already for ver 1.1?

I will try to cover the whole stretch and also SM Taytay this holiday season. Hopefully I could make worthwhile contribution with my time off.

hi jom,

use the v1.09 demo as reference. as long as it is not on the v1.09 demo, its ok to contribute and upload
                          Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
                          - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Hi,

are you referring to the portion starting near Halina St? nope, as i'm not aware that it should still be Rizal Ave... please do submit the corresponding correction.

Comment

Originally posted by Liv View Post
                              are you referring to the portion starting near Halina St? nope, as i'm not aware that it should still be Rizal Ave... please do submit the corresponding correction.
                              I will, thanks...

Comment

Working...
                              X