Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frustrated

Hi all,
    I've been a member for a while, since I received my Nuvi 225W in June. I downloaded the "teaser" map but have ended up leaving my GPS in the glove compartment after too many wrong directions, streets ending where they aren't supposed to etc.
    Before someone chimes in with "contribute and get the good map then" I have to say that the process of downloading the complete map, studying it for things that are needed and then following the directions for uploading a sufficient number of contributions is just way beyond what I have the time for. So that leaves me without the data I need to have a working GPS unit.
    I know, it isn't your fault or the fault of the community as whole. And I know that you have specifically decided to punish anyone who sells the full map and keep this as a true non-profit, open source sort of community.
    The only choice I have I guess is to go to the shops I have heard about which sell what I assume is a map that has been taken from this site in one way or another.
    This isn't really what I want to do, since I respect what is being done here. I simply do not have the time to do what is needed to become a contributor. And I suspect I am far from being alone on this.
    Please don't jump on this post too hard; I am just being honest.

Originally posted by dayliner View Post
    Hi all,
    I've been a member for a while, since I received my Nuvi 225W in June. I downloaded the "teaser" map but have ended up leaving my GPS in the glove compartment after too many wrong directions, streets ending where they aren't supposed to etc.
    Before someone chimes in with "contribute and get the good map then" I have to say that the process of downloading the complete map, studying it for things that are needed and then following the directions for uploading a sufficient number of contributions is just way beyond what I have the time for. So that leaves me without the data I need to have a working GPS unit.
    I know, it isn't your fault or the fault of the community as whole. And I know that you have specifically decided to punish anyone who sells the full map and keep this as a true non-profit, open source sort of community.
    The only choice I have I guess is to go to the shops I have heard about which sell what I assume is a map that has been taken from this site in one way or another.
    This isn't really what I want to do, since I respect what is being done here. I simply do not have the time to do what is needed to become a contributor. And I suspect I am far from being alone on this.

hi sir dayliner,

1st... if your going to buy the map that are for sale, i believe it wouldnt be as routable as the contributors map.
    2nd... to be able to get the contributors map is not really hard. since you understand the concept here. you only need to read a little and learn how to post.
    i have already help a lot of people who like you almost gave up, but later on gets to be a contributor.
    3rd... do you want to help people in your own little way? you wanted too right. well this is also a way to help people and after helping them, i assure you, you'll feel better.
    give us some time to try to help you become a contributor but of course you must help yourself first...
    Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
    - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

It sounds like you already have your mind made up

Hey, dayliner,

From reading your first paragraph, I’m assuming possibly you’ve programmed routes on your GPS unit and those routes have taken you, for example, the wrong way on one-way streets, down dead-ends, etc. Or maybe you were just navigating from the lines on the screen and came upon walls where streets should have been.

Some of the streets are drawn in from satellite images that may be a few years old. Sometimes governments and private citizens build and raze, changing the local landscape between visits by people recording with GPS devices. There are other reasons why the map is not 100% accurate (and it will never be 100% accurate).

This map is made better, in part, by those with their feet on the ground who note an error and upload a correction. If that’s the only thing you ever did (submit corrections), there would come a point in time when you become a contributor and can download the “good” map. But it won’t be 100% accurate, either.

Look, you're going to do what you're going to do, but if you decide to give contributing a go, we can help you anytime you have questions.

Regards,

Hi all,
      Experiencia Docet

Comment

Thanks for your replies.
        Maybe I have missed something but here is my basic dilemma:
        In order to be a contributor, I would need to post tracks, waypoints, POIs etc or corrections to the above.
        I have a 205W which as far as I know does not do tracks so that is out. I live in Makati and very rarely leave Manila. I'm not from here and have lived here a year so I would imagine people who have lived here longer have already filled in the POIs waypoints etc that I would be able to do in my normal travels.
        For corrections, I would need to know what the full map already has and somehow recognize while I was out and using the different, basic map what was in the full map and that it needed to be corrected. I think that is virtually impossible and corrections must come from people actually using the map that is being corrected.
        I can see how I might be able to contribute if I was regularly driving out of town to out of the way places but can't see how I can do it now.
        If I am missing something, please let me know. I would like to get the full map the proper way because like I said above, my Nuvi at the moment is basically a useless piece of plastic and metal.

Comment

Originally posted by hennme69c View Post
          From reading your first paragraph, I’m assuming possibly you’ve programmed routes on your GPS unit and those routes have taken you, for example, the wrong way on one-way streets, down dead-ends, etc. Or maybe you were just navigating from the lines on the screen and came upon walls where streets should have been.
          [/FONT]
          And yes to all the above, btw. One-way streets not marked, routes that sent me in bizarre ways, walls where roads were marked, turns where there was no turn available etc. Even entire sections of the city (like Chinatown) missing from the basic map.

Comment

Thanks for your replies.
            In order to be a contributor, I would need to post tracks, waypoints, POIs etc or corrections to the above.
            I have a 205W which as far as I know does not do tracks so that is out. I live in Makati and very rarely leave Manila. I'm not from here and have lived here a year so I would imagine people who have lived here longer have already filled in the POIs waypoints etc that I would be able to do in my normal travels.
            For corrections, I would need to know what the full map already has and somehow recognize while I was out and using the different, basic map what was in the full map and that it needed to be corrected. I think that is virtually impossible and corrections must come from people actually using the map that is being corrected.
            I can see how I might be able to contribute if I was regularly driving out of town to out of the way places but can't see how I can do it now.
            If I am missing something, please let me know. I would like to get the full map the proper way because like I said above, my Nuvi at the moment is basically a useless piece of plastic and metal.
            hi sir,
            nuvi 205 is capable of 1sec. track.
            please go thru the FAQ inside the "how to" section.
            with regards to not driving around much and contributing... one of our member here is base in indonesia but that didnt stop him to contribute and become a major contributor.
            a lot of things still needs to be done in manila.
            please go thru the FAQ in the how to section. a lot of your question will be answered there... and if you need more help post it or attend our EB

thanks
            Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
            - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Thanks for your replies.
              I had the same dilemma when I was starting out and i thought it would be easier for me to contribute when I go to the province. Yes i contributed routes in the province while I was there, and after doing that I got the hang of it. Most of my contributions though are in the metro. Not in out of the way places, but those places that I usually go to. I was surprised that there was so much information that wasn't yet on the map. Street names, one way stuff, waypoints. Currently, i'm waiting for trips to the houses of two friends who's villages are not yet in the map.

What I would do was to look up the area that we are scheduled to go to in the current demo map. From that i'd have an idea of what i need to get. Then when i'm there, i'd just mark like crazy. When in doubt, add to favorites.

I know there are contributors even major contributors who are even out of the country. Don't get frustrated. It's actually addictive once you get started.

Comment

You can do corrections or add POIs using the demo v1.09 map with Mapsource. This is exactly the same detailed map as the Contributors' version. Though, being a demo, you won't be able to use it on your Nuvi. Nevertheless, you'll have a chance to see the current contributor's map to base your additions and corrections.

I suggest that you start with the easiest way to contribute: Adding POIs or correcting the relative position of existing ones. Start with your immediate vicinity, for instance.

When I started contributing, I'd say that 75% of my contributions are POI's near my place of work, residence, and the places I frequent. The other 25%, I just browse the map on Mapsource looking at places I've been or passed through. I would then remember a POI that I'm sure is there, but hasn't made its way into the map... Maybe a 7-11 here or a Ministop there at the corner, etc. Trust me. You won't run out of POIs to contribute.

So, save your money and just use whatever resources you already have plus a bit of time and patience, then get the real map here.
                There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Thanks for your replies.
                  hey dayliner.
                  last october, i started correcting poi's in makati. this is because i found out that almost 90% of makati poi's are either wrongly positioned or duplicated.
                  what i did is one weekend morning i drove to makati (from pasig), park my car somewhere and walk around salcedo village (with my wife in tow) and began recording waypoints. as of now i think i have only corrected 40% of makati poi's.
                  my point here is you need not drive out of town to prepare contribution.
                  its just a matter of making it a hobby and having fun.
                  for me recording the waypoints helps me and my wife as an exercise just walking around makati.
                  there are a lot of ways to contribute and map would never be 100% correct as hennme said so we got a lot of work to do.
                  so come on, join the fun, lets help our beloved Philippines on this endeavor.
                  FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

Eto tip bro, (Here's a tip bro)

Get all the outlets of Crumpler and its other stores. Wala pa yan sa map. (Those are not in the map yet) Just go to one of the outlets and get a copy. I have it but havent uploaded it for contri. Mga 20 plus na agad yun. (Thats 20 plus already) You can also check if all Max's restaurants, chowking is already there.

Pwede din, (As another option) go log in to BDO, BPI and find out where the outlets are.

Ang dami possibilities... (So many possibilities) There's always a lot of reasons for not doing something. Only one answer if you want it done.

** Apologies to non filipino speaking members, I put english translation ( )
                    Last edited by MFB; 12-08-2009, 21:23.

Comment

AS for the routable map for sale, I believe they have the older version. 1.07. Also these guys can make the current map demo map routable though no search for streets is possible but there's a search for poi.
                      Last edited by MFB; 12-08-2009, 21:24.

Comment

Originally posted by MFB View Post
                        Eto tip bro,

Get all the outlets of Crumpler and its other stores. Wala pa yan sa map. Just go to one of the outlets and get a copy. I have it but havent uploaded it for contri. Mga 20 plus na agad yun. You can also check if all Max's restaurants, chowking is already there.

Pwede din, go log in to BDO, BPI and find out where the outlets are.

Ang dami possibilities... There's always a lot of reasons for not doing something. Only one answer if you want it done.
                        English please.

Comment

Sir,

Firstly, let me tell you how I became a contributor. I live in Subic, and frequently visit Olongapo/SBMA.
                          I downloaded the demo map onto the pc and looked around my area to see if I can make additions
                          Now, most of SBMA roads and POIs have been mapped, so I thought it would not be worthwhile (but I am keeping lookout as there is are always changes).

I then took a trip to a housing subdivision that has a great view of the bay for my parents who were visiting and I discovered the roadnames were not marked on the demo map.
                          A few weeks later with wife in tow, we drove around the subdivision, writing roadnames.
                          I then found that although my unit doesn't do 1sec tracks, I was able to run along a road that was not on the existing demo map - that I also contributed.

I work in Barretto, O.C. and a number of the POIs there are either wrongly placed, or closed. I spent an hour or so walking on the main highway, marking all the POIs and then returning to the PC, comparing the positions, and marking new ones, and marking the wrong ones.

So you see, the expense of a day trip out and a little effort in the day, can make the difference. It also helps everyone else which is what this site is all about

Nice way to spend a weekend afternoon?

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by wodger View Post
                            Sir,

Firstly, let me tell you how I became a contributor. I live in Subic, and frequently visit Olongapo/SBMA.
                            I downloaded the demo map onto the pc and looked around my area to see if I can make additions
                            Now, most of SBMA roads and POIs have been mapped, so I thought it would not be worthwhile (but I am keeping lookout as there is are always changes).

I then took a trip to a housing subdivision that has a great view of the bay for my parents who were visiting and I discovered the roadnames were not marked on the demo map.
                            A few weeks later with wife in tow, we drove around the subdivision, writing roadnames.
                            I then found that although my unit doesn't do 1sec tracks, I was able to run along a road that was not on the existing demo map - that I also contributed.

I work in Barretto, O.C. and a number of the POIs there are either wrongly placed, or closed. I spent an hour or so walking on the main highway, marking all the POIs and then returning to the PC, comparing the positions, and marking new ones, and marking the wrong ones.

So you see, the expense of a day trip out and a little effort in the day, can make the difference. It also helps everyone else which is what this site is all about

Nice way to spend a weekend afternoon?

Pete
                            Good for our health too (if you walk)+ winning new friends we got two members there in your area, nice company

Comment

Nice tips guys, keep em coming. Might join my wife tomorrow for her early morning walk

Comment

Working...
                              X