Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Katipunan Newbie

Hi guys and gals!

I'm a newbie. Registered about a month ago but never introduced myself since i didn't have my gps yet. Just got my Nuvi today! Yahoo! Well, technically it arrived in the Philippines last Sunday, but it only got to me today.

So here I am introducing myself. I live in Katipunan Q.C., but regularly go home to my wife's province, Cabanatuan, Nueva Ecija. Been reading on stuff here at the forums and oftentimes get overwhelmed. I always tell myself to wait for the damn thing so I could understand it better.

Basically, I was able to download the standard map and the demo map for mac. But I think they are the same. Anyways, still have to set-up my boot-camp or borrow someone's pc to convert the latest demo map so i can start contributing.

hi swissknife, welcome to RoadGuide and enjoy your stay!
    Be sure to read the How To Section, learn to contribute if your time permits, so that you can get the upgraded version of the map. It's awesome!
    if you have any questions at all feel free to ask...

Originally posted by swissknife View Post
    Hi guys and gals!

I'm a newbie. Registered about a month ago but never introduced myself since i didn't have my gps yet. Just got my Nuvi today! Yahoo! Well, technically it arrived in the Philippines last Sunday, but it only got to me today.

So here I am introducing myself. I live in Katipunan Q.C., but regularly go home to my wife's province, Cabanatuan, Nueva Ecija. Been reading on stuff here at the forums and oftentimes get overwhelmed. I always tell myself to wait for the damn thing so I could understand it better.

Basically, I was able to download the standard map and the demo map for mac. But I think they are the same. Anyways, still have to set-up my boot-camp or borrow someone's pc to convert the latest demo map so i can start contributing.
    Last edited by razorspells; 10-07-2009, 23:19.

Comment

Hi guys and gals!

Hi swissknife,

Welcome to Roadguide. Your contributions are very much welcome. Keep asking if not clear to you and don't hesitate because we are ready to assist you in every way possible.

Good luck.
      See FAQ for Newbies below
      Click Here

Comment

hi swissknife,

hope to see your contribution from NE

good day and God Bless
        Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
        - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Welcome to Roadguide swiisknife! Hope to see your contributions soon...

Comment

Wow, thanks for the warm welcome!

Still reading the how-to's. Dami e. hehe. Hopefully they'll be easier to understand now that I actually have a gps.

My bro-in-law was kind enough to buy me one in canada after I convinced him to buy one for himself. 146 canadian dollars all-in for the 255.

Please count on my questions soon. Just reviewing first so i don't get hit in the head after i ask a stupid question. hahaha

Comment

Big welcome! Keep tracking and providing your inputs

Comment

Got to try out my Nuvi the other day. Took a while to acquire a signal the first time. Pero ok naman na after that.

Does it have to be mounted under the windshield? I get kinda distracted sometimes. Is it ok to mount it below the stereo somewhere?

Hopefully i can get to play around with mapsource over the weekend

Comment

Got to try out my Nuvi the other day. Took a while to acquire a signal the first time. Pero ok naman na after that.

Does it have to be mounted under the windshield? I get kinda distracted sometimes. Is it ok to mount it below the stereo somewhere?

Hopefully i can get to play around with mapsource over the weekend
                  Hi swissknife,

I think you did it correctly, a bit higher (eye level) is best. At least when you operate your GPS while driving, half of your vision is still on the road. But don't operate your GPS while you are driving because that is very dangerous. A split second delay on the steering wheel would be disastrous. Better pull over before you operate your GPS. A slight delay on your trip is a lot better than a trip to hospital or may be La Loma.

Good luck.
                  See FAQ for Newbies below
                  Click Here

Comment

I'm headed for the province this week. Hopefully i'll be able to contribute already.

I've read the how to's and tried a bit here in the metro. I've checked the demo map and i think i know what to do. Emphasis on think.

Province is Cabanatuan. Any other pointers on what to mark as a waypoint and priority roads to mark?

Comment

I'm headed for the province this week. Hopefully i'll be able to contribute already.

I've read the how to's and tried a bit here in the metro. I've checked the demo map and i think i know what to do. Emphasis on think.

Province is Cabanatuan. Any other pointers on what to mark as a waypoint and priority roads to mark?
                      1 s tracks
                      please read http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=384 your gps is capable of it!
                      How to get the upgraded map.

It's a sick world and I'm a happy man...

Comment

Nice to see you're up and running. Please go over this thread and this will serve as your pointers http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=761. To summarize, any POI (point of interest) is fair game and priority roads are all those roads not yet on the latest map (v1.08) that you can browse in the demo map (v1.08). Similarly, you can submit road conditions/restrictions as well, like unpaved road, 4x4 road, one-way, no entry, road cuts & etc. Hope to see your contributions soon...

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                          1 s tracks
                          please read http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=384 your gps is capable of it!
                          Yup, was able to try this out. Am so glad I don't have to mess with the firmware. Just have some extra steps to do since i'm on a mac.

Originally posted by Borgie View Post
                          Nice to see you're up and running. Please go over this thread and this will serve as your pointers http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=761. To summarize, any POI (point of interest) is fair game and priority roads are all those roads not yet on the latest map (v1.08) that you can browse in the demo map (v1.08). Similarly, you can submit road conditions/restrictions as well, like unpaved road, 4x4 road, one-way, no entry, road cuts & etc. Hope to see your contributions soon...
                          Yup, went over the demo map on Cabanatuan and there is so little mapped out. Looks like i'll be busy going around. I don't even know where to start. I'm actually entertaining the thought of renting a tricycle for a day just so I can operate the gps while going around. hahahaha

Comment

Yup, went over the demo map on Cabanatuan and there is so little mapped out. Looks like i'll be busy going around. I don't even know where to start. I'm actually entertaining the thought of renting a tricycle for a day just so I can operate the gps while going around. hahahaha
                            Great idea... . The city/municipal center is a good place to start. While you're at it, you can cover more ground if you can bring a tape recorder with you and record the labels of the waypoint. Say "waypoint no. 26 - Bitoy's Restaurant located to the right, north west" and so on... or you can use pen and paper to write down the name of the waypoint. This would be much faster than inputting the label to the GPS. Please bear in mind always the correct position of the waypoint (right or left side of the road). For roads, if you can visit the local Municipal/City Planning Office, i'm sure you can get a copy of their street map with street names. You can use this as a guide when mapping the tracks of the roads (will make you more efficient as well because you can map the roads in a more systematic manner) as well as naming the roads later when you edit it in mapsource, and for taking notes of road restrictions like one-way or no entry. Hope to see your tracks and waypoints soon...
                            Last edited by Borgie; 10-26-2009, 15:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Borgie View Post
                              Great idea... . The city/municipal center is a good place to start. While you're at it, you can cover more ground if you can bring a tape recorder with you and record the labels of the waypoint. Say "waypoint no. 26 - Bitoy's Restaurant located to the right, north west" and so on... or you can use pen and paper to write down the name of the waypoint. This would be much faster than inputting the label to the GPS. Please bear in mind always the correct position of the waypoint (right or left side of the road). For roads, if you can visit the local Municipal/City Planning Office, i'm sure you can get a copy of their street map with street names. You can use this as a guide when mapping the tracks of the roads (will make you more efficient as well because you can map the roads in a more systematic manner) as well as naming the roads later when you edit it in mapsource, and for taking notes of road restrictions like one-way or no entry. Hope to see your tracks and waypoints soon...

Yup, i have a notebook ready.

Didn't think of the City Planning office. I'll go there as well. Thanks for the suggestions!

Comment

Working...
                              X