No announcement yet.

Newbie po

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Razorspells. I plan to get it in Cabelas. Thats a shooting and outdoor sports store that i frequently order from.

Comment

ok Marlboro, goodluck on your purchase and once you got it.. post back a message so that we can help you load the standard map on it...

Originally posted by Marlboro View Post
      Hello Razorspells. I plan to get it in Cabelas. Thats a shooting and outdoor sports store that i frequently order from.

Comment

Would a non techie guy like me get lost in all this techie jargon going on?
        Only if you're doing it half-heartedly... but if you're willing to learn, we're more than willing to walk you through...

Comment

Originally posted by razorspells View Post
          ok Marlboro, goodluck on your purchase and once you got it.. post back a message so that we can help you load the standard map on it...
          Thank you thank you! I will order it now. By next week, it will be with me.

Originally posted by Borgie View Post
          Only if you're doing it half-heartedly... but if you're willing to learn, we're more than willing to walk you through...
          He he he am in for the ride. With the guidance of everybody here, i will try my best to learn as fast.

NUVI 205...here i come.

Comment

Yehey! just ordered it now. My unit will arrive next week. Hope you guys wont get tired of my querries.:

Comment

No problem, Marlboro..

Yehey! just ordered it now. My unit will arrive next week. Hope you guys wont get tired of my querries.:

Comment

I cant wait to get my hands on the Nuvi. If i recall the unit that was lent to me, some roads were not correctly indicated in the unit, and when I travelled down south and up north, only towns were shown without any detail on side streets. If I recall in Baguio, the roads were not indicated there in. Would that be the same map I would be able to download?

Comment

hi Marlboro, you are referring to the Standard Map which you install in your unit and yes it's limited. Also there is the v1.07 demo map which you use with mapsource and you cross-check your contribution(s) with that if they already exist..

So I suggest once you get your unit be sure to learn how to install mapsource on your pc, install the roadguide files, learn to contribute and in time.. you will be on your way to be upgraded and get access to the contributor's version of the map... Be patient and persevere... Most of us started this way...

I cant wait to get my hands on the Nuvi. If i recall the unit that was lent to me, some roads were not correctly indicated in the unit, and when I travelled down south and up north, only towns were shown without any detail on side streets. If I recall in Baguio, the roads were not indicated there in. Would that be the same map I would be able to download?
                  Last edited by razorspells; 09-30-2009, 13:50. Reason: added more info

Comment

Originally posted by razorspells View Post
                    hi Marlboro, you are referring to the Standard Map which you install in your unit and yes it's limited. Also there is the v1.07 demo map which you use with mapsource and you cross-check your contribution(s) with that if they already exist..

So I suggest once you get your unit be sure to learn how to install mapsource on your pc, install the roadguide files, learn to contribute and in time.. you will be on your way to be upgraded and get access to the contributor's version of the map... Be patient and persevere... Most of us started this way...
                    Thanks Razorspells. Is my understanding correct, Contributions means giving information on streets or points of interest that are not yet included in the map. You can then check on the demo map to see if the "contribution" was already given?

How many contributions does one have to make to be able to the contributor's version?

Is the standard map also updated regularly? What about the contributors map? how often do you upload it in your GPS to capture new contributions?

Sorry for the Newbie questions.

Comment

Thanks Razorspells. Is my understanding correct, Contributions means giving information on streets or points of interest that are not yet included in the map. You can then check on the demo map to see if the "contribution" was already given?
                      - Yes this is correct. Honest contributions and not copied from somewhere else...

How many contributions does one have to make to be able to the contributor's version?
                      - This is a popular question and I too have asked it. On this one I will let an MC / Mod answer it.. Hbt, Borgie.. Please help..

Is the standard map also updated regularly? What about the contributors map? how often do you upload it in your GPS to capture new contributions?
                      - No the standard map is not regularly updated
                      - The contributor's map is updated and has a schedule for the latest release.
                      - Once a new contributor's version of the map is released you can immediately upload it to your unit..

This also has some related explanations on this thread (Difference between Contributor and Major Contributor Status) http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthrea...or+contributor

Sorry for the Newbie questions.
                      - No problem, I have asked similar questions before...
                      Last edited by razorspells; 09-30-2009, 14:34.

Comment

As mentioned by Razorspells, this is a popular question and has been asked countless times. And the answer has always been....... it depends on the Judge

The standard map is a teaser map and that map version will remain so unless changed otherwise by the admin. But why bother whether the standard map will be updated or not when there's a much better map that is yours for the taking? Contribute and the contributor's map is yours...

Hope to see your contributions soon...

Comment

Thanks For the reply gentlemen. Now I am more than eager to get hold of my unit and start contributing. I want to earn the stripes to get hold of the contributors map

Comment

Bad news, for me anyway. I was wondering how come the Nuvi205 has not arrived yet, only to find out that the store in the US that I ordered it from did not have anymore stocks. Now I am back again searching for a simillar unit within the same price range

Comment

Now I am back again searching for a simillar unit within the same price range
                              Please try amazon or gpsdiscount...

Comment

hi Marlboro, try "The GPS Store"
                                Here's the link: http://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-Nu...e-P1827C1.aspx
                                Nuvi 205 - $139.95 with free case.. on shipping you have to checkout to know the total... hope this helps..

Bad news, for me anyway. I was wondering how come the Nuvi205 has not arrived yet, only to find out that the store in the US that I ordered it from did not have anymore stocks. Now I am back again searching for a simillar unit within the same price range
                                Last edited by razorspells; 10-07-2009, 13:18. Reason: added more info

Comment

Working...
                                X