Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie po

Hello Guys,

I was able to use a GPS of my friend a couple of months back (garmin) and had fun when i was using it. This fired up my interest on this device, however I was surprised to see that a cost of unit is equivalent to an arm and a leg.

However, as i was scanning this site, i noticed that my current phone E71 is capable of giving me this function. Hope you guys can help me out in making my phone work until i have enough courage to ask my wife to buy me a real GPS device. I will be posting in the appropriate thread for your help. Thanks.

hi Marlboro, welcome to RoadGuide and enjoy your stay!
    Be sure to read the How To Section, learn to contribute if your time permits, so that you can get the upgraded version of the map. It's awesome!

With regards to E71, some of the guys here can help you out.. Hold on..
    Also don't buy a gps here coz it's too expensive. I suggest if you have a friend or family abroad just ask them to buy for you.. if you have a paypal account, other options are buying it online. (Ex. ebay, thegpsstore.com, etc..) if you have additional questions, feel free to ask...

Originally posted by Marlboro View Post
    Hello Guys,

I was able to use a GPS of my friend a couple of months back (garmin) and had fun when i was using it. This fired up my interest on this device, however I was surprised to see that a cost of unit is equivalent to an arm and a leg.

However, as i was scanning this site, i noticed that my current phone E71 is capable of giving me this function. Hope you guys can help me out in making my phone work until i have enough courage to ask my wife to buy me a real GPS device. I will be posting in the appropriate thread for your help. Thanks.

Comment

hi marlboro,

welcome to roadguide.

to use your phone as gps you'll need mobile xt, mobile xt will also cost you almost an arm and a leg. and if your unit doesnt come with internal antenna then you'll need to buy an external antenna then pair it
      so what i suggest is to buy a nuvi 205 (which is the cheapest) in the US or tiger gps or amazon. have it ship it here and i'll promise you it'll cost half the prices if you buy it here in the philippines

good day to you sir
      Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
      - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Hello Guys,

Hi Marlboro,

Welcome to Roadguide. I hope that you will enjoy you stay and be a Contributor. Keep on browsing the forum for relevant information.

Good luck.
        See FAQ for Newbies below
        Click Here

Comment

Hi Marlboro and welcome to the Roadguide!

Comment

GUys, Thanks for the warm welcome. I appreciate it alot. Sige, Am thinking now of buying a GPS unit online. I think I can contribute alot here since I often travel alot both in Luzon and in Vis/Min, since this is the nature of my work.

what would be a good basic model that I can start on?

Comment

Originally posted by hbt View Post
              hi marlboro,

welcome to roadguide.

to use your phone as gps you'll need mobile xt, mobile xt will also cost you almost an arm and a leg. and if your unit doesnt come with internal antenna then you'll need to buy an external antenna then pair it
              so what i suggest is to buy a nuvi 205 (which is the cheapest) in the US or tiger gps or amazon. have it ship it here and i'll promise you it'll cost half the prices if you buy it here in the philippines

good day to you sir
              Thanks sir. I will try to look for a nuvu 205 in the net and order it asap

Comment

GUys, Thanks for the warm welcome. I appreciate it alot. Sige, Am thinking now of buying a GPS unit online. I think I can contribute alot here since I often travel alot both in Luzon and in Vis/Min, since this is the nature of my work.

what would be a good basic model that I can start on?
                Since you already have the E71 which is comparable to the Nuvi and you travel a lot to Luzon and VisMin, a GPS handheld that can record 1 second tracks would do very nicely. Check out the Garmin 60CSx, probably the best bang-for-the-buck gps or so they say. Or the Garmin Etrex Vista HCx if budget's a bit tight. Best prices and deals online is at amazon.com... HTH and hope to see your contributions soon...

Comment

Hello Guys,

welcome to roadguide.
                  yeah first thing to do is to smoke your way on the How to section.
                  FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

Originally posted by Borgie View Post
                    Since you already have the E71 which is comparable to the Nuvi and you travel a lot to Luzon and VisMin, a GPS handheld that can record 1 second tracks would do very nicely. Check out the Garmin 60CSx, probably the best bang-for-the-buck gps or so they say. Or the Garmin Etrex Vista HCx if budget's a bit tight. Best prices and deals online is at amazon.com... HTH and hope to see your contributions soon...
                    Thanks for the feedback. I scanned the pictures and the prices of the models you indicated. However, I think this is a bit pricy for me. Also I would prefer a cheaper model and something I can put in the dashboard of my car. Am getting interested with the Nuvi 205 model. Offhand, i see prices at at $120 range excluding freight.

My next concern now, being a non techie guy, is the ease of downloading and uploading maps to share. Would a non techie guy like me get lost in all this techie jargon going on?

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I scanned the pictures and the prices of the models you indicated. However, I think this is a bit pricy for me. Also I would prefer a cheaper model and something I can put in the dashboard of my car. Am getting interested with the Nuvi 205 model. Offhand, i see prices at at $120 range excluding freight.

My next concern now, being a non techie guy, is the ease of downloading and uploading maps to share. Would a non techie guy like me get lost in all this techie jargon going on?
                      there are other members here who are non techie but got thru it.
                      just read the appropriate sections and if you have questions just post it...im sure somebody will help you (line borrowed from hbt).
                      FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

hi Marlboro, like my colleagues mentioned read through the How To section, most of us started this way.. Take your time no rush..

Check also this link thread by jaysondin87:
                        http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=1006

Comment

hi sir,

contribute and become a contributor and the word LOST will be erased from your vocabulary hehehe

dont worry...as long as im here, i'll volunteer to help you
                          Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
                          - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Thanks alot for your help and words of encouragement. I am a member of different forums and have never been overwhelemed with this kind of help and encouragement. This is pushing me further to buy NOW a garmin.

Since my last post, i have been scouting in the net for a good (thats relative since that the money i want to spend) GPS unit. I have singled it out into a Nuvi 205. (Guess this is the cheapest? lol)... Am planning to buy it within the afternoon. I hope I am making the right decision.

Please please tell me this is okay.

Comment

hi Marlboro, don't worry you are making the right decision and I suggest go for the Nuvi 205.. where are you going to purchase it?

Thanks alot for your help and words of encouragement. I am a member of different forums and have never been overwhelemed with this kind of help and encouragement. This is pushing me further to buy NOW a garmin.

Since my last post, i have been scouting in the net for a good (thats relative since that the money i want to spend) GPS unit. I have singled it out into a Nuvi 205. (Guess this is the cheapest? lol)... Am planning to buy it within the afternoon. I hope I am making the right decision.

Please please tell me this is okay.

Comment

Working...
                              X