Problems on my garmin Mobile xt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems on my garmin Mobile xt

hi I just installed garmin Mobile xt version 4.20.20 on my n95 8g but i have a couple of questions about the product

1)i can't find enough satellite signal in my area
    2)i already transferred the Philippine map from my PC to my phone using mapsource but when i go to "view maps" it still displays the default map (Europe) included in the installation, how can i use the Philippine map

Originally posted by deadlyelegance View Post
    hi I just installed garmin Mobile xt version 4.20.20 on my n95 8g but i have a couple of questions about the product

1)i can't find enough satellite signal in my area
    2)i already transferred the Philippine map from my PC to my phone using mapsource but when i go to "view maps" it still displays the default map (Europe) included in the installation, how can i use the Philippine map
    You have to get a satellite lock first before the gps determines your position, the reason why your device cannot show the PI map. If this is your first time using XT, it will take you several minutes of downloading satellite data. Be sure to be in a place with a clear view of the sky, no physical obstructions whatsoever. And it will not work if you are inside a building. HTH.

Comment

Originally posted by pokz View Post
      You have to get a satellite lock first before the gps determines your position, the reason why your device cannot show the PI map. If this is your first time using XT, it will take you several minutes of downloading satellite data. Be sure to be in a place with a clear view of the sky, no physical obstructions whatsoever. And it will not work if you are inside a building. HTH.
      oh i see, at the moment the sky is very cloudy is it possible that the cloudy sky obstructs the signal comming from the satellites??

when i enter view maps it gives a wrong information that i'm in europe. . . ok then maybe i'll have to test it some other time when the sky clears up

Comment

oh i see, at the moment the sky is very cloudy is it possible that the cloudy sky obstructs the signal comming from the satellites??

when i enter view maps it gives a wrong information that i'm in europe. . . ok then maybe i'll have to test it some other time when the sky clears up
        To check if you've installed the Phil. map, go to the satellites page in xt, click "new location", then pan the map from the default location to the Philippine area, then zoom in closer. If you can see the roads and POIs in the Philippine map, you're only problem is that your gps has not yet acquired a lock on your present position that's why it shows the default location... HTH

Comment

No, clouds does not affect the signals, only physical things like trees, buildings, tunnels, etc....

Comment

Originally posted by pokz View Post
            No, clouds does not affect the signals, only physical things like trees, buildings, tunnels, etc....
            oh, my room is at the 3rd floor (topmost level) of our house, no house, trees or other building is taller than our house for the next 50 meters and my room is surrounded by windows so no physical obstruction blocks any field of signal. . .

now i'm worried. . . i'm constantly having very minimal to none signal in my n95

what can i do to increase the signal reception of my phone

Comment

oh, my room is at the 3rd floor (topmost level) of our house, no house, trees or other building is taller than our house for the next 50 meters and my room is surrounded by windows so no physical obstruction blocks any field of signal. . .

now i'm worried. . . i'm constantly having very minimal to none signal in my n95

You can try using A-GPS to help your fone have a quicker lock on. Btw, even the "roof" can be an obstruction.

To activate A-GPS go to settings>general>positioning

Under positioning methods check assisted gps and integrated gps.

Under positioning server, server address should be: "supl.nokia.com"
              Last edited by edsailormoon; 08-17-2009, 15:31.
              We got some places to see...I brought all the maps with me...So jump right in...Ain't no sin...Take a ride in my machine.

- Freeway Of Love (Pink Cadillac), Aretha Franklin

Comment

if you are inside your room (even if you are surrounded by windows or at a high place) you will not have a satellite lock (not pick up a signal). your gps (the n95) has to have a clear view of the sky, meaning you have to be outdoor or in a rooftop (i.e. no ceiling)

Comment

Yup, it'll be almost next to impossible getting a satellite like inside a room with phone gps, esp. if it's the first time for it to get a lock in this part of the world... with dedicated gps like my 60CSx, i can get a lock even inside the room but it takes longer and the signal is not that good. Better go out into the open to lock to the satellites... and remember, everytime you plan on using xt, get a lock on the satellites first before moving or riding in your car. Takes too long as well to get a lock when you're mobile... HTH

Comment

thanx everyone it's already working though the reaction time is a bit sluggish compared to my friend's nuvi but it gets the job done so i'm happy with it,

where can a find a more detailed philippine maps. . .

Comment

thanx everyone it's already working though the reaction time is a bit sluggish compared to my friend's nuvi but it gets the job done so i'm happy with it,

where can a find a more detailed philippine maps. . .
                      hi sir,

if you contribute enough you'll get the contributors map which is more detailed
                      to get started, read the "how to" section. and if you have a questionpost away im sure somebody will be glad to help you

good day to you sir
                      Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
                      - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

I've recently changed the simcard of the phone, and now i can't get any signal what could be the problem??

Comment

Simcard has nothing to do with the built-in GPS as you can use your phone's gps without one. But if you've also changed your mc, that's another story...

Comment

Originally posted by Borgie View Post
                            Simcard has nothing to do with the built-in GPS as you can use your phone's gps without one. But if you've also changed your mc, that's another story...
                            yes sir it's already fixed but i can't find a single signal everywhere near my place, except in novaliches area, n95 sucks

Comment

N95's GPS antenna is located at the bottom of the fone, so make sure you're not covering it with your palm whilst holding and trying to make a lock on.. Or better yet, try using your fone upside down just to have a quick lock on and when locked already, you can use it normally.
                              We got some places to see...I brought all the maps with me...So jump right in...Ain't no sin...Take a ride in my machine.

- Freeway Of Love (Pink Cadillac), Aretha Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X