No announcement yet.

iPhone 3G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just bought a philippine gps map called papago from apple's appstore for $39.99. It actually works quite well with my iphone 3g and some buildings in makati are in full 3d view. It says that the full philippine map is provided by jklinc. Since this is now being sold retail, is this exactly the same as the contributor's map? Lots of up-to-date poi's too so 40 bucks is not that bad for the app. Thats a fraction of the cost of a full gps unit.

As far as i know jklinc is also the author of our garmin map from roadguide.ph.

Comment

Hi,

I also downloaded the App, the map seems to be a newer version than the free 1.07, there are many more streets and POI than in the free Garmin map. But the Papago software is little bit rubbish. If you follow a route the unit is almost nonstop talking, it makes it very difficult to follow turn instructions, especially if the turns are near to each other. I just wanted have a map in the pocket, for this it is ok. But for driving in the car I would prefer a standalone GPS with better software, the iPhones receiption quality in the car is also a problem very often.

I tested an original Papago GPS in Malaysia, but also on the PND unit Papago is very slow and reacts quite sleepy. The voice guidance is quite same as in the iPhone App, too much talking - confuses more than it helps. The building view is a nice feature, but if I'm driving, I don't need to see the buildings in 3D in the map, it's easier to watch out of the window. :-) Some automobile clubs in US and Europe are already critizising those options, because they take to much attention to the driver.

Another topic what I don't understand, why suddenly JKLinc can sell the map, where before it always sounds that the contributors map is not for sale. What are all the contributors thinking, if Jan is making money now with their work? And why the forum was not informed or could vote for such decision? It seams to be in process already since begining of the year. Never we could read something about this here in the forum.

I mean, it's ok, if everybody will benefit, but in the moment it looks like the contributors do the work and Apple and Papago are getting the monetary benefit. Why shall contributors continue with their work, if commercial comapanies - especially so big ones - are the only ones earning.

Mario
      Last edited by Mario; 05-20-2010, 11:07. Reason: Forgot some details

Comment

jklinc is one who made papago map that was sold online via apple? Pls show proof

Found it: pls explain http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/papag...365885735?mt=8
        Last edited by MFB; 05-20-2010, 11:38.

Comment

Look here: (from the iTunes Store)

[I]Full Philippines is now available!! Don't waste your money to buy pure Manila map anymore! Save your hard earned money now! You won't regret!

With the PAPAGO!M6 you can transform your iPhone into a professional navigation system.(...)

-DETAILED MAP DATA
          ‧The latest full Philippines map provided by JKLinc Incorporated.

http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/papago-philippines-pro/id365885735?mt=8

Comment

Originally posted by MFB View Post
            jklinc is one who made papago map that was sold online via apple? Pls show proof, Found it: pls explain http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/papag...365885735?mt=8
            Why shall I explain?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Mario View Post
                Why shall I explain?
                no need, its all clear. Thanks for the info.

Guys, I will not make any assumptions yet. Please explain, seems there is a commercial agreement between Maction and jklinc. Is this why Garmin will never get to help RG in the first place?

What are the terms and conditions by providing the latest full Philippine map to Maction Technologies Inc Taiwan? Is this set up similar to the Garmin and Malsingmap group that was offered to RG as well?
                Last edited by MFB; 05-20-2010, 11:50.

Comment

Thats what I'm talking about. Seems like the contributors map has been sold to Maction Technologies. Apple is now making money out of everyone's contributions. Sad part is I sucked into it coz I can't get the contributors map for my Garmin Nuvi 200. I'm no techie at all and don't have the necessary skills to contribute waypoints, POI's to this community. Hope the mods can shed light on this.

BTW, the installed map version I have says: Philippines/JKLinc/10Q2. No idea what that code means.
                  Last edited by rednaxela; 05-20-2010, 14:19.

Comment

10Q2...sound like 2nd quarter of 2010, right. They made a new version numbering for the commercial stuff. Would be a bit much for the community if JKLinc alias roadguide.ph would use the same 1.1x numbering like here in the forum.

Bye the way, on another Apple site I found that this Maction map company promise to release commercial map updates for the Philippines monthly...so I wish JKLinc much luck to still get enough updated data from the contributors here, and the commercial users just get this for free.

Maybe they - the contributors - should ask where is their source code so they can continue their project in an more relaxed environment...same as MalFreeMaps did

Comment

i have no problem with papago as long as our contribution gets into the updated map and most of all FREE for all contributors.

Comment

So far Papago's Phil. map hasn't been cracked yet that's why I bought it legally. All other maps by maction technologies have already been cracked at and ready for free consumption. Not good for us who spent hard cash for it. But I betya, its just a matter of time.
                        Last edited by pokz; 05-20-2010, 22:29. Reason: posted links to cracks. last and final warning

Comment

Sorry for posting the site. No pun intended. Thanks for editing it. My apologies.

Comment

Please follow this link for Roadguide's official statement regarding this issue http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=2572. If you want to make comments regarding this issue, please do so in that official statement thread. Comments that will posted in this thread from now on will be considered as OT and will be deleted asap...

Comment

Originally posted by rednaxela View Post
                              ...It actually works quite well with my iphone 3g and some buildings in makati are in full 3d view.
                              Hi,

how long is your iPhone working if you use the navigation? I was wondering if there's something wrong with my battery, yesterday I tried it while driving and after little bit more than one hour my battery was drained? Usually I charge my phone only once a week.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario View Post
                                Hi,

how long is your iPhone working if you use the navigation? I was wondering if there's something wrong with my battery, yesterday I tried it while driving and after little bit more than one hour my battery was drained? Usually I charge my phone only once a week.
                                ps takes a lot of the juice out of the celphone battery. thats why its better to get a dedicated gpsr
                                Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
                                - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Working...
                                X