iPhone 3G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question about the motionx....

example gumawa ako ng track tapos yung end nung track eh ginawa kong waypoint. if ever ba na kung nasa ibang lugar ako maituturo parin sakin ng motionx kung aling road yung kukunin ko papunta dun sa waypoint

Comment

Originally posted by w3bmastEr View Post
      question about the motionx....

example gumawa ako ng track tapos yung end nung track eh ginawa kong waypoint. if ever ba na kung nasa ibang lugar ako maituturo parin sakin ng motionx kung aling road yung kukunin ko papunta dun sa waypoint
      If you save that particular track-- yes. Although it will not tell you to turn left or right, take this or that road. It will simply show you your current direction relative to the track/WP you saved.

Comment

OS 3.0 is now available it started june 17 its not that good but it will now allow you to forward messages

Comment

Samsung Omnia is better than IPhone

Comment

Wikimap Application for the Iphone

Our company just developed an application called Wikimap for the Iphone. It does not record tracks but it has a simple interface for creating new points, and uploading pictures which are automatically shared to other Wikimap and Wiki.Alumni.NET users.

It uses Open Street Map (OSM) which has good maps for Philippine destinations including locations like Tagaytay and Boracay. You can use Wikimap to search for nearby establishments such as hospitals, banks, restaurants, and stores. Within each wiki page, Wikimap can be used to view more detailed information such as phone numbers, store hours, restaurant menus, mass schedules, hotel photos, and hotel reviews.

For more information, please visit

http://wiki.alumni.net/wiki/Wikimap

You can download Wikimap using the App Store.

Eric
            Attached Files

Comment

I just gave Motion X for the iPhone 3G a go and I have to admit it's really worth the asking price of $2.99. I think it's a steal IF you already have an iPhone 3G.

Version 6.0 just came out and I tried it out.

It's no replacement for a real GPS device coz' it's kinda slow and pokey but it's a hoot to use. I just start the stopwatch function and it saves tracks which I can email to myself (gpx & kmz format).

It's also nice to see your tracks superimposed on google earth just to see how accurate or not they are.

The only bothersome issue is that it is still a phone so if I wanted to do some serious contribution work, I'll set the phone to airplane mode so I don't get bothered by calls/sms that automatically interrupts Motion X.

Comment

Originally posted by gareth85 View Post
                Samsung Omnia is better than IPhone
                That's a good way to start a flame war.

Dave: If you have a jailbroken iphone, you can try the app Backgrounder in Cydia. It will put the app you select in the background without exiting/closing that particular app so you can continue where you left off when a call or sms comes in.
                Last edited by amf; 07-07-2009, 01:42.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion.

I am also experimenting with using the iPhone to submit waypoints.

The problem using a Nuvi to store waypoints is that unless you have a really keen memory or have a dedicated navigator entering WPs as you tag them, it's really risky typing while driving.

With the iPhone Motion GPX... I just start the stopwatch (to make tracks) and take pictures along the way. All the images taken with the iPhone have GPS data embedded in them already so when I upload the images on my computer I can easily identify what I took (gas station, restaurants..etc) and where I took them.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_D View Post
                    Thanks for the suggestion.

I am also experimenting with using the iPhone to submit waypoints.

The problem using a Nuvi to store waypoints is that unless you have a really keen memory or have a dedicated navigator entering WPs as you tag them, it's really risky typing while driving.

With the iPhone Motion GPX... I just start the stopwatch (to make tracks) and take pictures along the way. All the images taken with the iPhone have GPS data embedded in them already so when I upload the images on my computer I can easily identify what I took (gas station, restaurants..etc) and where I took them.
                    Yeah, that's a more convenient way to save WPs.

The only drawback with an iPhone is the GPS accuracy. Even with my re-rad antenna, the best I can get is 9 meters (got 4 meters once or twice only). Haven't tested yet though with OS 3.0. Without the re-rad, 48 meters at best. You can adjust the location of your saved WPs though in mapsource.

Comment

Ewww...

That's bad accuracy alright

Hokay... better stick with the nuvi then. Don't wanna botch up the map

Comment

dont upgrade

just got my phone from globe it and took them 3 weeks to replace it hehehe bago ulit iphone ko

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....art=0&tstart=0

Comment

Motion X GPS :OKAY

I've tried MotionX GPS and i believe it's the best one available now.

only drawback is the drain on the iphone's battery. I used it for a 1-hour drive to Subic via SCTEX -- by the time I arrived in Subic, i was getting the low battery warning on my iphone. -- recommended to use with the cigarette lighter power adaptor

note: I've sold my iphone and replaced it with a Nokia e71-- and using Garmin MobileXT-- which IMHO is waaaay better than the MotionX GPS app.

Comment

Originally posted by amf View Post
                            You can try googling xGPS. I think it's the best navigation software so far. You need your iphone jailbroken though to install it.
                            Sir, how do I go about installing Philippine maps (such as gmapsupp.img) on the iPhone which could be read by the xGPS?

Comment

Originally posted by Regie View Post
                              Sir, how do I go about installing Philippine maps (such as gmapsupp.img) on the iPhone which could be read by the xGPS?
                              not possible afaik
                              How to get the upgraded map.

It's a sick world and I'm a happy man...

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                                not possible afaik
                                Thanks for the reply. So that would mean that iPhone users are limited to the maps which are only available at xGPS? Oh man.

I haven't tried the xGPS yet. For anyone here who had tried it, does it give a good Philippine map?
                                Last edited by Regie; 10-29-2009, 20:12.

Comment

Working...
                                X