Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kenwood KNA-G431 GPS module (Garmin engine)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Harmless View Post
    Hey there! I just saw this post.

I have the exact same unit in my car. The GPS unit has a mini-USB slot at the side. What I do to upload the map is connect it via USB to my laptop, and with Mapsource running on my laptop, I just upload it directly to the unit itself. No SD card needed.
    Hey, where did you get yours? How much?
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Originally posted by oj88 View Post
      Hey, where did you get yours? How much?
      Had a friend buy it in Singapore. I think it comes out to around 20k pesos. I forgot the exact amount already.

Comment

Had a friend buy it in Singapore. I think it comes out to around 20k pesos. I forgot the exact amount already.
        Ouch. eBay has them for around 12k. I'm just waiting for somebody to have it hand-carried home from the States.

Comment

Originally posted by Borgie View Post
          Yes, a separate key is required for each device if the img file is sent directly to the device and not via the sd card. And a separate key is also required if the img is sent to the SD card, and this key is generated using the SD card's ID. Not sure about this and can anyone clarify: can an img file unlocked to an SD card be used in another device?
          i used different device, actually i used mobilext on my nokia 6630 s60v2 mobile phone with external Holux m1000 gps. I load my downloaded routable philippine map on my mmc card (2gb), so far I enjoy playing it now here in Bacolod City. I once used in Iloilo but iloilo maps(openstreet map) is not that detailed yet. I think its ok downloading to to a different memory card.

Comment

Hey there! I just saw this post.

I have the exact same unit in my car. The GPS unit has a mini-USB slot at the side. What I do to upload the map is connect it via USB to my laptop, and with Mapsource running on my laptop, I just upload it directly to the unit itself. No SD card needed.
            Hi Harmless,

I have recently got one KNA-G431. I am connecting the same with my exisiting DDX5034. When i go to the navigation, it shows some preloded maps which are not detailed ones. I have an SD card from Garmin having latest maps. When i insert the SD card in SDcard slot, and go to navigation, still it shows the preloaded maps only. I think system is not detecting the SD card.

Since you have confirmed that you have updated the maps through USB miniB by connecting the same to PC. Please clarify the following:

1) Do i need to purchase mapsource for this? or can i download it free from some link?
            2) Should the system be connected to power supply along with USB connection to PC?

Please reply so that i can solve this problem. Thanks in advance

Regards,
            MKS

Comment

Originally posted by ms9818422889 View Post
              1) Do i need to purchase mapsource for this? or can i download it free from some link?
              no need to purchase mapsource. you can find a download link and mini-installation guide from this thread.
              got a question? google it or do a forum search.

Comment

Originally posted by legtu View Post
                no need to purchase mapsource. you can find a download link and mini-installation guide from this thread.
                HI Legtu,

thanks for the link. But his is an upgrade option for exisiting Mapsource. I do not have nay maps source version pre-installed on my PC.

Can Map Source be downloaded free of cost from any website?

Regards,
                MKS

Comment

Originally posted by ms9818422889 View Post
                  thanks for the link. But his is an upgrade option for exisiting Mapsource. I do not have nay maps source version pre-installed on my PC.
                  just follow the mini-guide also posted on that link(to be more specific, the instructions on the first post of that thread). you'll need to install training center first before mapsource.
                  got a question? google it or do a forum search.

Comment

Originally posted by MFB View Post
                    Download the special edition mapsource 6.15.7 I posted. That will allow you to save to your map to hard drive, sd card , etc as long as it mounts as a drive.

Another option is to just get your sd card and transfer it directly. Mount your old nuvi with the current map. go to the garmin folder then copy the gmasupp.img to your sd card. Inside the sd card, you should put it in the garmin folder. It there's none, just make a garmin folder (small caps)

Where do I get the special edition 6.15.7 mapsource? Is that different from the 6.15.7 available here?

I downloaded the 6.15.7 which is availalble here but I dont see any way wherein I can transfer maps to a USB or other medium.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

I don't know about "special edition" mapsource but I am using 6.15.7 and I just tried to upload a map as I already have a thumb drive inserted in my USB just now. Mapsource was able to detect it, I did not go through with the transfer of course coz I didn't need it.

1. Insert USB or SD drive into your computer USB or SD slot.
                      2. Open Mapsource
                      3. Choose and highlight the map sections you want to upload (Take note better to highlight all the maps)
                      4. Click on Upload Icon and choose which device to send, USB, or SD card should be detected there.
                      5. Click okay or whatever.

Hope this helps.

I am not sure what your Kenwood unit looks like, but if it has a GPS module then you can even connect your laptop directly to a mini USB port in the module and upload directly.

TTFN
                      Arvin

Comment

thanks arvin for the tip. I'll give it a try.

with regards to my head unit... its the kenwood dnx 7140 w/ built in garmin gps. The only problem is the usb port is at the back of the unit and currently the jack for my ipod video is connected to it. I decided to go back to my installer this sat and just have them extend the usb cable. Conecting my laptop to the unit is just easier than load the maps thru DVD/CD.

Comment

I totally agree that if you can connect your laptop directly to your unit and upload from there that is better. But please just be sure that the unit allows it. What I mean is that it is specifically stated that you could do so. I have no experience with your model, so just want to make sure. Of course I imagine that if it does not work then it probably will just show that your laptop and your H/U are not "talking to each other".

Extend USB cable? Buy USB cable extenders from CDRking and other computer stores and give it to your installer, they might not have the part or might charge you extra over the cost of the extension.

Good luck, oh and please post here if you were successful for reference of other members.

TTFN
                          Arvin

Comment

I'd go the CD-R/W approach. Less hassle and much safer.

Comment

Ok here's an update.

USB cable doesnt recognize non-media files. It reads only movie files and music files. You cannot even open the drive/folder using the USB.

However...
                              At the back of the unit is also a mini USB port. if you have a NUVI garmin unit, the same cable you use to attach the Nuvi unit to your computer will do or just buy from CDRking for P30.

Using mapsource to transfer the map (just like in a nuvi unit) DOES NOT WORK here. Mapsource detects the unit but is unable to transfer the map as it cannot find a storage media (the GARMIN folder). I dont know why.

So...
                              You can only transfer maps directly to the GARMIN folder in "Mass Storage" mode and not in "Navigation Mode".

Warning:

Attaching the Kenwood unit to your laptop thru the mini USB cable, you are able to access the hard drive of the Kenwood unit. It shows I think 2 folders (one of which is "Garmin". Now, be very very carefull when accessing these folders. I made a mistake trying to copy files from my nuvi unit to the kenwood unit and I mistakenly erased some files from the kenwood drive. Now, I cannot access the Navigation function of my Kenwood unit. When you press the NAV button, the screen just goes blank then a white screen with garble letters. In short, my Kenwood unit's NAV function is now F***ed up!

Now, I need to find some1 who has the same Kenwood Unit and request if I can copy the contents of his Garmin folder to make my NAV work again. kenwood USA suggest that I ship them the unit for servicing. But that is just so much hasel for me to do.

If any of you needs more specific instructions on this particular unit, dont hesitate to ask. Just PM me. I do not want any of you to experience what I'm experiencing now. One mistake... and everything is gone. I suggest you back up the whole Garmin Folder and put it aside before playing around with your Kenwood's Garmin folder.

Comment

Yes, this should be safer if... your unit recognizes our map files. I tried and tried to transfer the gmapsupp.img file thru CD but the kenwood unit just doesnt recognize the file. I think Garmin uses a diff file for map upgrades.

Comment

Working...
                                X