Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kenwood KNA-G431 GPS module (Garmin engine)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kenwood KNA-G431 GPS module (Garmin engine)

I would really appreciate some help here so please bear with me.

I have a 2-DIN head unit (Kenwood DDX8034BT) that can take an optional KNA-G431 GPS module. Though the module uses a Garmin engine, the only way to install the map is through the SD card slot. My question would be, can the roadguide.ph map be "packaged" into the SD card and installed to this module like as if the SD card came from Garmin? Is it a straightforward task of just copying some files or is it more complicated than that?

Unlike my Garmin Nuvi and XT, the GPS module in question doesn't have a USB slot to transfer data to and from Mapsource.

Thanks!

Reference links:
    Head unit: http://sg.kenwood.com/Car_Entertainm...tems/DDX8034BT
    GPS module: http://sg.kenwood.com/Car_Entertainm...stems/KNA-G431

Last edited by oj88; 01-17-2010, 23:44.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Solution

Download the special edition mapsource 6.15.7 I posted. That will allow you to save to your map to hard drive, sd card , etc as long as it mounts as a drive.

Another option is to just get your sd card and transfer it directly. Mount your old nuvi with the current map. go to the garmin folder then copy the gmasupp.img to your sd card. Inside the sd card, you should put it in the garmin folder. It there's none, just make a garmin folder (small caps)

Comment

Thanks MFB!

Comment

Originally posted by oj88 View Post
        Thanks MFB!
        follow up oj88

How is your Garmin add on GPS?
        I have the same Kenwood HU model DDX8032 BT and I have plan to buy this add on also

TYVM

Comment

Originally posted by MFB View Post
          Download the special edition mapsource 6.15.7 I posted. That will allow you to save to your map to hard drive, sd card , etc as long as it mounts as a drive.

Another option is to just get your sd card and transfer it directly. Mount your old nuvi with the current map. go to the garmin folder then copy the gmasupp.img to your sd card. Inside the sd card, you should put it in the garmin folder. It there's none, just make a garmin folder (small caps)
          Just curious, if this were the contributors map(which requires an unlock code), wouldn't the the gmasupp.img file be locked to the to handheld GPS unit?

If you just transfer the file to the SD card and load into the hideaway car GPS unit, won't this throw an error "Can't unlock maps"?

Comment

Originally posted by etgomez View Post
            Just curious, if this were the contributors map(which requires an unlock code), wouldn't the the gmasupp.img file be locked to the to handheld GPS unit?

If you just transfer the file to the SD card and load into the hideaway car GPS unit, won't this throw an error "Can't unlock maps"?
            sd card have its own unique unit ID and a separate unlock code should be requested from the judge.
            FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

Originally posted by trackers888 View Post
              follow up oj88

How is your Garmin add on GPS?
              I have the same Kenwood HU model DDX8032 BT and I have plan to buy this add on also

TYVM
              Sorry, didn't see this until today.

I haven't gone around ordering it for two reasons:

1. My wife's having a baby in a couple months and I'm saving up
              2. I think I'd like to keep my head unit and GPS separate for now since I like to watch movies off of the USB hard drive while on the road. If I get the add-on, I would have to choose one or the other to be displayed on the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Reiji0463 View Post
                sd card have its own unique unit ID and a separate unlock code should be requested from the judge.
                Kuya Reiji, are you sure the SD card has device ID, thought it was the GPS device, ie KNA-G431 GPS module? Correct me if I'm wrong?
                Questions? Check Out The: "HOW TO"

Comment

Originally posted by jonatle View Post
                  Kuya Reiji, are you sure the SD card has device ID, thought it was the GPS device, ie KNA-G431 GPS module? Correct me if I'm wrong?

2nd that. unit id is needed
                  Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
                  - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

afaik kuya, if you purchased garmin mobile xt, you will have it in an SD card with a unique serial id to prevent copying it to other SD card.
                    FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

Originally posted by Reiji0463 View Post
                      afaik kuya, if you purchased garmin mobile xt, you will have it in an SD card with a unique serial id to prevent copying it to other SD card.
                      Don't u need a separate key for each device u wanna use the sd card with?
                      Questions? Check Out The: "HOW TO"

Comment

Don't u need a separate key for each device u wanna use the sd card with?
                        Yes, a separate key is required for each device if the img file is sent directly to the device and not via the sd card. And a separate key is also required if the img is sent to the SD card, and this key is generated using the SD card's ID. Not sure about this and can anyone clarify: can an img file unlocked to an SD card be used in another device?

Comment

Originally posted by MFB View Post

hello....newbie here....can i ask where to download the update map that i should put directly on my sd card?

Comment

Originally posted by chasoy View Post
                            hello....newbie here....can i ask where to download the update map that i should put directly on my sd card?
                            http://www.roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=2348

Comment

Hey there! I just saw this post.

I have the exact same unit in my car. The GPS unit has a mini-USB slot at the side. What I do to upload the map is connect it via USB to my laptop, and with Mapsource running on my laptop, I just upload it directly to the unit itself. No SD card needed.

Comment

Working...
                              X