Overcharging battery possible on Nuvi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overcharging battery possible on Nuvi?

I'm using a USB cable with an AC adapter (plugged directly to the wall) to charge my Nuvi. I charged it overnight but there is no indication that the charging is over. Does the Nuvi stops charging when it gets full? Does it have a protection for overcharging?

Originally posted by snorkle View Post
    I'm using a USB cable with an AC adapter (plugged directly to the wall) to charge my Nuvi. I charged it overnight but there is no indication that the charging is over. Does the Nuvi stops charging when it gets full? Does it have a protection for overcharging?

it should stop charging when the battery gets full... a "Battery Charge Complete" should be displayed.

Comment

Originally posted by Liv View Post
      it should stop charging when the battery gets full... a "Battery Charge Complete" should be displayed.
      It didn't. I left it overnight and it still displayed "charging battery".

Comment

I keep the charging cable connected in my vehicle and my Nuvi powers up and down with the switch of the ignition key (ACC and ON). I do occasionally (once every 1-2 months) remove the power from the back of my Nuvi. I let it use battery power until I get the low battery warning. I do this for two reasons:

1. To know if the battery can still hold a charge
        2. To calibrate the battery gauge (as recommended by Garmin)
        There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Ok you can confirm this by touching the AC Adapter after the overnight charging (still plugged in). If it's cold then it has activated an overcharging protection and has stopped charging.

Comment

is your nuvi powered on when you were charging it? in my case, my nuvi takes 5 hrs and 30 minutes to fully charge coming from a fully drained battery... i usually power it off when charging... a "Charging Battery" status is displayed.

Comment

Most of the batteries in Garmin devices I believe are lithium-ion. Here's a link about lithium-ion batteries.
              The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources. - A.E.

Comment

I'm using the supplied garmin usb cable with a Nokia Wall Charger, Output 5V / 550mA to charge my nuvi and it displays a "Charging Battery. Slide the Power key to turn on."

Will this status message change to something else? It's already been charging for 4 hours and the message is still the same.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Can anybody help me please..

Does your nuvi change it's status message when fully charged?
                  Mine always displays the message: "Charging Battery. Slide the Power key to turn on."

I'm using usb cable with nokia charger output 5V / 550mah

Thanks for the help...

Comment

Originally posted by razorspells View Post

Does your nuvi change it's status message when fully charged?
                    Mine always displays the message: "Charging Battery. Slide the Power key to turn on."
                    No. That's the only message on my nuvi 205.
                    SMS Machine • PictureSMS • SMS Commander • BattLogger • TraceCrash • MemoManager • vCardManager

Suntzu Software for Palm Treo

www.suntzu-software.com

Comment

Hi, I hope it's ok for me to ride on this topic.

I'm an absolute newbie and I got a NUvi 750. I was trying to read the manual and can't find any information regarding the initial charging time. This wil be the first time I will charge it and I'm afraid that I may overcharge it.

What is the initial charging time and would overcharging really ruin it? thanks

sorry for hi-jacking this thread. thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by _LO_ View Post

I'm an absolute newbie and I got a NUvi 750. I was trying to read the manual and can't find any information regarding the initial charging time. This wil be the first time I will charge it and I'm afraid that I may overcharge it.

It's written in the Appendix>Specifications. The charging time is approximately 4 hours.
                        There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Hi _LO_, I read on the Garmin site that charging takes about 4 hours..

Here's the link
                          http://iqc.garmin.com/eCustomer/KODS...6&from=results

Hope this helps...

Originally posted by _LO_ View Post

Comment

@oj88/razorspells, thanks! I will now charge the unit

Comment

you have to be careful about aftermarket chargers. . . thats what usually causes charging failures

Comment

Working...
                              X