Just got my Nuvi 260w, need some basic advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got my Nuvi 260w, need some basic advice

I just got my Nuvi 260w. I did the 3 steps suggested in this website, installed Training center, Mapsource, and JKlink_5.08.exe. I opened Mapsource and transfered the Philippines map to the Nuvi.

Now I want to contribute by adding all the well-known restaurants, gas stations, and stores in my neighborhood to the Nuvi. What I did was I walk to the place (like a restaurant) and then access my Nuvi. I go to "Where Am I?" and then click on "Save Location". Is that it? Do I have to change the icons or organize the saved markers into categories? Everything I saved is filed under "Favorites" which doesn't seem organized.

Originally posted by snorkle View Post
    I just got my Nuvi 260w. I did the 3 steps suggested in this website, installed Training center, Mapsource, and JKlink_5.08.exe. I opened Mapsource and transfered the Philippines map to the Nuvi.

Now I want to contribute by adding all the well-known restaurants, gas stations, and stores in my neighborhood to the Nuvi. What I did was I walk to the place (like a restaurant) and then access my Nuvi. I go to "Where Am I?" and then click on "Save Location". Is that it? Do I have to change the icons or organize the saved markers into categories? Everything I saved is filed under "Favorites" which doesn't seem organized.
    You can edit and sort out all your saved waypoints after transferring them to your pc using mapsource. In mapsource, you can put the corresponding icons, move the waypoints to the side of the streets, put the proper name/address etc.

Comment

hi snorkle, just like you im also a newbie.. hehe. but from what i know you have to open mapsource from your computer, connect your nuvi, then use the "recieve from device" icon. then you have to make some minor changes to your waypoints like place it to proper side of road, name it correctly using waypoints properties then save it then upload in proper thread. its all explained in the how to section but you can always ask no problem here.

Comment

I have figured out how to change the icons while using the device. The problem I have right now is that all the point of interest things I saved (restaurants, gas stations, etc) are all saved under "favorites". Do I leave it there when I upload the data to Mapsource and upload it here as is? Akala ko all restaurant waypoints has be under "restaurants"?

Comment

Originally posted by snorkle View Post
          I have figured out how to change the icons while using the device. The problem I have right now is that all the point of interest things I saved (restaurants, gas stations, etc) are all saved under "favorites". Do I leave it there when I upload the data to Mapsource and upload it here as is? Akala ko all restaurant waypoints has be under "restaurants"?
          Your "saved" favorites are normally for your own use. Once you transfer the accumulated waypoints in your pc via mapsource, you can disconnect your gps from your pc and temporarily delete in your Nuvi your favorites. Then edit your transferred waypoints in the mapsource (in your pc) for proper location, icons etc...once this finished, you can transfer (send to device) it now to your Nuvi , which means these are edited and corrected and w/ proper icons etc..

Now you can edit further the waypoints you have in your pc by selecting the waypoints that you plan to contribute. (of course you do not want to include you own personal wpts like home etc...) After editing, you can upload now in our forum

Comment

Working...
          X