Nuvi 260 - Can't locate Satellites when using in Manila

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nuvi 260 - Can't locate Satellites when using in Manila

I have a Garmin Nuvi 260 WT that I purchased at a Costco in Washington DC, and I downloaded maps into it and they look like they work. The problem is when I start the GPS, it says "Select a Locale" and Philippines is not on the list. I use "OTHER" but when it does the initial "Please wait while your unit establishes an initial position using GPS satellites" step the progress bar goes 80% of the way and then starts to go back down to 60% and keeps repeating. After about 20 minutes or so I give up, and so I can't "Acquire a satellite position" and thus, it can't find the location in Manila. It keeps centering in the US as it's default position.

What do I do?

Did you install a Philippine map in your gps?

Comment

If I remember it correctly, when "Select a Locale" popped up to me, I just chose United States and everything worked fine. I think it's just for the language setting.

Agree with sir pokz, check if there is a PI map recognized by your device. During startup, check if there is "Roadguide" something that appear.
      SMS Machine • PictureSMS • SMS Commander • BattLogger • TraceCrash • MemoManager • vCardManager

Suntzu Software for Palm Treo

www.suntzu-software.com

Comment

I did load a PH map, the file comes up as G:\Garmin\gmapsupp.img if I look at the GPS through Mac Finder or My Computer in Windows.

When the GPS initializes and doesn't find a satellite, I literally scroll the map with my finger over to the Philippines, and start zooming in on Manila. The map is there because I can see the roads with quite a lot of detail in Manila, but it still will not find the satellites.

What to do?

Comment

I finally got it to work. Thanks guys

Comment

Hi. Can you possibly share what you did to make it work? TIA

Comment

Originally posted by vubando View Post
              Hi. Can you possibly share what you did to make it work? TIA
              you have to make sure the map is activated. Check by selecting Wrench->Map->Map info (at the bottom) and make sure the loaded Philippines map is checked.

Comment

Hi, I'm using a 265T that I bought in LA (and got to use it there for a few weeks). I have the same problem - can't seem to locate any satellites. I already have the Philippine Roadguide installed, and it's showing up on my installed Map list.

Can I ask the TS on how you got it to work? (Or is it just because it's raining really hard now? hehehe)

Comment

Originally posted by Gippy Parungao View Post
                  Hi, I'm using a 265T that I bought in LA (and got to use it there for a few weeks). I have the same problem - can't seem to locate any satellites. I already have the Philippine Roadguide installed, and it's showing up on my installed Map list.

Can I ask the TS on how you got it to work? (Or is it just because it's raining really hard now? hehehe)
                  Unfortunately, the TS never answered again after having his gps work. If this is the first time you have used your gps here, it do take some time before it gets a satellite lock. And the rain do contribute in getting a lock, and I'm sure you can't go outside to have your gps a clear view of the sky. Maybe a little patience is all you need here.

Comment

I figured. Thanks, pokz! I'll probably try it again when we have sunnier skies over the metro again. It's a good thing I found this site, though! I was almost resigned to the fact that I was never going to be able to use the GPS here. (Garmin doesn't have our country on its Map list, even the Southeast Asian one - Boo!)

Will post updates when I get it to work.

Comment

As promised, an update:

I woke up today with the sun in my face - perfect weather to get a lock on the satellites! So I went out and looked for the largest open space in our village.. Stood there for about 10mins, and voila! Back in business. I dunno if it was just me, but I think it locked on faster when I positioned the unit in its "normal" position. (i.e., right side up instead of lying down)

So anyway, will give it a spin later in the afternoon. Woo-hoo!

Comment

As promised, an update:

I woke up today with the sun in my face - perfect weather to get a lock on the satellites! So I went out and looked for the largest open space in our village.. Stood there for about 10mins, and voila! Back in business. I dunno if it was just me, but I think it locked on faster when I positioned the unit in its "normal" position. (i.e., right side up instead of lying down)

So anyway, will give it a spin later in the afternoon. Woo-hoo!
                        hi gippy parungao,

happy for you sir that your unit is a-ok.
                        hope to see your contribution soon and get the much much better contribuors map
                        good day to you sir
                        Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
                        - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Originally posted by hbt View Post
                          hi gippy parungao,

happy for you sir that your unit is a-ok.
                          hope to see your contribution soon and get the much much better contribuors map
                          good day to you sir
                          Yup, thanks! I also plan to do that. I noticed some errors when I tested it out today. I still have to educate myself on using the editor so I can contribute. Still reading up on the "How-To" section of this forum. Again, many thanks!

Comment

Yup, thanks! I also plan to do that. I noticed some errors when I tested it out today. I still have to educate myself on using the editor so I can contribute. Still reading up on the "How-To" section of this forum. Again, many thanks!
                            hi sir,
                            for the meantime dont use the poi editor. use the mapsource .gdb files to contribute
                            if you have any question just post it and im sure somebody wiil answer you.
                            please read the 1sec. track while youre at it
                            thanks sir good day
                            Last edited by hbt; 07-19-2009, 09:38.
                            Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
                            - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Gippy: It took your 205 10 minutes to get a lock on the sats? If so, Garmin may really be skimping on their new devices as my Nuvi 300 (pretty old model) gets the lock in less than 2 minutes and the 200 in about 5 minutes. Don't ask about my GMPC with Win7, 3D position in under 30 seconds!

It may also interest you to note that water/rain and clouds have no effects on your device's GPS signal reception. ---> http://gpsinformation.net/gpsclouds.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X