Garmin 255

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garmin 255

Has anyone of you using the garmin nuvi 255?

So far so good. TTS works fine, sounds funny though pronouncing our street names.

My only concern is... does your unit takes around 1-2 minutes to connect to the satellite? never had a problem before using my htc tytn II.

In my experience, the Nuvis normally take that long for satellite acquisition from a cold boot (unit has been off for a few hours). Satellite acquisition times also depend on weather conditions and your location, i.e. whether you are in an open area or with tall buildings around. Warm booting (unit is off for a few minutes to about an hour) usually takes less than 30 seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by ahqlex View Post
      In my experience, the Nuvis normally take that long for satellite acquisition from a cold boot (unit has been off for a few hours). Satellite acquisition times also depend on weather conditions and your location, i.e. whether you are in an open area or with tall buildings around. Warm booting (unit is off for a few minutes to about an hour) usually takes less than 30 seconds.
      thanks man, what you said is actually true from what i have experienced. whew! I thought I had a defective unit!

Comment

My Unit Stopped Working....

Can anybody help me?

I just transferred some waypoints to my unit. stopped it then unplugged the usb connection. Now I can't turn it on! even if i plug the usb back again it doesnt show up.

Grrrr!

I think my unit got busted!

Comment

Originally posted by alpha-q View Post
          My Unit Stopped Working....

Can anybody help me?

I just transferred some waypoints to my unit. stopped it then unplugged the usb connection. Now I can't turn it on! even if i plug the usb back again it doesnt show up.

Grrrr!

I think my unit got busted!
          quote:
          Press the reset button - you'll find it on the lower right of the Nüvi 255, but it doesn't look like a button. It's basically the sticker with all the information on it. It's just enough to push the sticker carefully with something small, not too sharp so it doesn' get destroyed. The Nüvi reboots, the loader loads and proceeds with the software load. Once this is over, shut down the Nüvi and reconnect to the PC. Then, everything works fine (it did at least for me).
          unquote
          from
          http://www.fixya.com/support/t161383...loading_frozen
          How to get the upgraded map.

It's a sick world and I'm a happy man...

Comment

Actually found the same link awhile ago. but, thanks anyway Jan

I though I bricked my unit!

Anyway why would garmin put the reset button where there is a label covering it. Why not make the conventional way. At first I thought the reset button is under the serial label so i punched it with my treo stylus, now i almost made a hole in it. and so is the reset button.

now my unit is not that perfect anymore physically

but at least i mad it working again.

Comment

Time Setting

Hi I always set my time to its correct setting. But after turning it off and on the time is alway incorrect...everytime.

How do you set it right? My tracks are now messed up

Comment

Hi I always set my time to its correct setting. But after turning it off and on the time is alway incorrect...everytime.

How do you set it right? My tracks are now messed up
                May I ask how you set your time to its correct setting?

Comment

Originally posted by pokz View Post
                  May I ask how you set your time to its correct setting?
                  I dont know.. but i think i did all the right thing...

Now, Im waiting if it will turn out ok as I unchecked the North America Map in my unit. (maybe this is the culprit)

Comment

I dont know.. but i think i did all the right thing...

Now, Im waiting if it will turn out ok as I unchecked the North America Map in my unit. (maybe this is the culprit)
                    Try to access Tools>World Clock and select a city with the same time zone as here and touch Save. Then go to Tools>Settings>Time and select Automatic to always update to current time. Hth.

Comment

Problem with My Nuvi

Before I have no problem using my nuvi to transfer to and from the pc. But now after installing the POI loader everytime I transfer files to and from the mapsource it says like these :

There was a problem witht he Garmin device GARMIN (E:\). Communication with the device may continue with reduced functionality. Please contact Garmin customer support for assistance.

What Happend to my unit? I still can download waypoints from mapsource but its not the same anymore, its like there's something wrong.

And

I cant get my unit ID anymore.

I think there's a problem wither with the new updgrade of the map 1.06 or the POI loader i've installed.
                      Last edited by alpha-q; 05-05-2009, 14:47. Reason: Wrong map version input :) niloloko ako ni sir Borgie e

Comment

Siguro dahil v1.07 na map mo, sa amin 1.06 pa lang... Joke.

Comment

Before I have no problem using my nuvi to transfer to and from the pc. But now after installing the POI loader everytime I transfer files to and from the mapsource it says like these :

There was a problem witht he Garmin device GARMIN (E:\). Communication with the device may continue with reduced functionality. Please contact Garmin customer support for assistance.

What Happend to my unit? I still can download waypoints from mapsource but its not the same anymore, its like there's something wrong.

And

I cant get my unit ID anymore.

I think there's a problem wither with the new updgrade of the map 1.07 or the POI loader i've installed.
                          Can't be the map since it's working on mine and we are practically using the same model (255W). My guess is that POI Loader probably messed up the device drivers or the Nuvi.

What I would do is:

(In this order, going further down if the problem remains unsolved)
                          1. Uninstall POI Loader
                          2. Re-install Mapsource
                          3. Run Webupdater and re-install the Nuvi firmware (backup tracks, favorites, or whatever data you have on the device first)
                          Last edited by oj88; 05-05-2009, 00:38. Reason: Spelling
                          There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Originally posted by oj88 View Post
                            Can't be the map since it's working on mine and we are practically using the same model (255W). My guess is that POI Loader probably messed up the device drivers or the Nuvi.

What I would do is:

(In this order, going further down if the problem remains unsolved)
                            1. Uninstall POI Loader
                            2. Re-install Mapsource
                            3. Run Webupdater and re-install the Nuvi firmware (backup tracks, favorites, or whatever data you have on the device first)

Ha! POI loader is the culprit. uninstalled it and it went fine again! Pahamak na loader to! Ibinaon ko na sa basura. Buwisit hehe

Salamat OJ88!
                            Last edited by alpha-q; 05-05-2009, 01:51. Reason: forgot to say thank you :)

Comment

hi,

it could be the memory of the 255 is small... maybe
                              Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
                              - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Working...
                              X