Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

external antena

does it really help?

i just noticed this morning, when i went out of the house (marikina), even in a clear sky, i can't lock on to any satellite, but the moment i stepped on green meadows qc, satellites immediately and almost instantly locked on.

is external antena for nuvi available locally?

AFAIK, most if not all Nuvis have internal antennas with no provisions for an external one. CMIIW.

However, there's a already a thread on re-radiating antennas that functionally does the same thing. Just do some search on it.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Originally posted by oj88 View Post
      AFAIK, most if not all Nuvis have internal antennas with no provisions for an external one. CMIIW.

However, there's a already a thread on re-radiating antennas that functionally does the same thing. Just do some search on it.
      my 850 is capable of external antena. the gilson looks promising.

Comment

My bad.

I personally don't like using external antennas if it can be helped. But if I have to, I'd prefer a re-radiating antenna as it will work with any GPS, no matter the model (or brand). It's also quite useful if you have more than one GPS running inside the vehicle.
        There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Originally posted by spyghost View Post
          my 850 is capable of external antena. the gilson looks promising.
          Yes, very good antenna. I have one myself :-) But yes, its a better choice to get a re radiating antenna. Garmin recommended to me the ar-50 found at mobile01.com Thru searching, I found some info that the Taiwan military uses the newer model, ar-100.

2 units will be arriving, one for me and my RG buddy. I'll post a review sometime next week. :-)

As for the gilsson, this works really well with my 765. I can sometimes get a 2 meter lock with all bars (except for one) at full bar. Its easy to get the signal even with tall buildings around (eastwood, makati) but antenna should really be outside and not just in the windshield or the sunroof. This is because I have vkool tint, resutls without such a tint may not need external installation.

But I need to upgrade since my nuvi 1480 (with tv, haha) will no longer accommodate the direct connection. Besides, my son wants be the navigator when I drive and that will allow him too.

Gong back, the car tint I have is vkool. Its a know issue with gps devices (garmin confirmed) that tint such as this and some specific heat protection coating in cars disrupts, degrades the gps signal inside the car.

Comment

Some info on the ar-50 and vkool problem
            Mobile01.com translated forum thread

Ar-50 and ar-100
            Ar 50 and 100 discussion

Comment

Originally posted by MFB View Post
              Yes, very good antenna. I have one myself :-) But yes, its a better choice to get a re radiating antenna. Garmin recommended to me the ar-50 found at mobile01.com Thru searching, I found some info that the Taiwan military uses the newer model, ar-100.

2 units will be arriving, one for me and my RG buddy. I'll post a review sometime next week. :-)

As for the gilsson, this works really well with my 765. I can sometimes get a 2 meter lock with all bars (except for one) at full bar. Its easy to get the signal even with tall buildings around (eastwood, makati) but antenna should really be outside and not just in the windshield or the sunroof. This is because I have vkool tint, resutls without such a tint may not need external installation.

But I need to upgrade since my nuvi 1480 (with tv, haha) will no longer accommodate the direct connection. Besides, my son wants be the navigator when I drive and that will allow him too.

Gong back, the car tint I have is vkool. Its a know issue with gps devices (garmin confirmed) that tint such as this and some specific heat protection coating in cars disrupts, degrades the gps signal inside the car.
              is there a significant loss if the antena is placed just under the roof panel of a car? i don't have the privilege of a sunroof.

Comment

Working...
              X