Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about GPS in PH

Hi guys

I just signed on. I have a few questions about GPS in the Philippines.

1. Is it easy to download the Ph map on this site?

2. How do you load it on a US GPS?

3. How good is the current map for the Ph?

4. Is there any issues with using a US purchased unit? Is there some units that are better than others?

5. Does loading the Ph map effect my maps for US and Canada I have now with my units.

Please understand here in the US all you have to do is turn the thing on and it works you never have to plug it in to a computer. I read through the threads here and I get no idea what you guys are talking about. ..img . mapsource. Even on your newbie thread it is not very clear how you are suppose to load the map on the unit. Cut and paste ...How do you do that on a Nuvi? Then there appears to be multiple ways with instructions that are not clear to a novice trying to set their unit up. So is there anyone out there willing to help me out?
    Last edited by B2B; 11-16-2009, 10:31. Reason: more detail

Originally posted by B2B View Post
    Hi guys

I just signed on. I have a few questions about GPS in the Philippines.

1. Is it easy to download the Ph map on this site?

2. How do you load it on a US GPS?

3. How good is the current map for the Ph?

4. Is there any issues with using a US purchased unit? Is there some units that are better than others?

5. Does loading the Ph map effect my maps for US and Canada I have now with my units.
    hi sir B2B,
    welcome to roadguide
    here are the answer to your questions
    1. yes
    2. our map is compatible with garmin gps
    3. roadguide map is the best map in the philippines
    4. garmin compatible. garmin have a lot of model. higher number more expensive . more feature
    5. better back them up. but i bought a nuvi in singapore, preloaded with singapore map. when i DL the roadguide map. singapore map still there.

mapsource: needed to transfer, edit and then contribute. mapsource is your best friend

we have 3 maps here:
    version 5.17 (teaser map, less detail) you can get this for free, through mapsource or cut and paste this to your nuvi
    version 1.09 demo map (only for reference at mapsource) so that if you contribute you'll know what is existing.(cannot download to your unit)
    version 1.09 full version aka contributors map (more detailed map) can be download to your unit if you're a contributor

how to contribute? please read the "how to" section and feel free to post your question

good day and God Bless
    Last edited by hbt; 11-16-2009, 10:44.
    Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
    - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Thanks for the reply but I think I am going to need to have more info before I am able to load the map on my unit.

Is there any detailed instructions on this site? I really need a step by step guide that goes though the process. Not a vague idea what to do. I do not have a handle on all the terms you guys are using.

Comment

Thanks for the reply but I think I am going to need to have more info before I am able to load the map on my unit.

Is there any detailed instructions on this site? I really need a step by step guide that goes though the process. Not a vague idea what to do. I do not have a handle on all the terms you guys are using.
        check this out: http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=1006
        Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
        - Bruce Lee

Comment

mapsource

Okay it looks like in my case mapsource is not going to do me any good. It will be hard for me to contribute POI's being 7,000 miles away so I guess I am stuck with the teaser version. Does not look like I can even send money and get the "real" version. I was hoping to give a working GPS unit to a relative and download a map for myself but that does not appear to be possible.

Comment

Okay it looks like in my case mapsource is not going to do me any good. It will be hard for me to contribute POI's being 7,000 miles away so I guess I am stuck with the teaser version. Does not look like I can even send money and get the "real" version. I was hoping to give a working GPS unit to a relative and download a map for myself but that does not appear to be possible.
            The teaser version is a good start... If you do send the unit to your relative, don't forget to attach a link to this site and do encourage him to contribute. That way, if you're lucky enough, he might be able to get you a contributor's map as well...
            I am but a figment of your imagination... with a post count of 9999 or greater.

Comment

Hi B2B. There's another way to contribute and get the contributor's map, check this out http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=22. Or another way is to install the teaser version into the gps, give them to your relatives here, and let them do the data gathering and contributing. As they say, if there's a will, there's a way...

Comment

hi b2b.
                being far is not a problem, we have a major contributor (handle: Roadguide2000) who is in malaysia but a regular contributor.
                btw welcome to roadguide.
                FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

Hi B2B,

Sir Reiji is correct. It's not a problem. I am 3,000 km away from our country and I had contributed a lot (a shitload as the Judge call it) of data. Trace it from Google Earth.

Both my units were purchased from the US. Its US built in map stays after I loaded the Philippine maps and could not be erased.
                  See FAQ for Newbies below
                  Click Here

Comment

Thanks for the responses and well wishes. I think I will try to load it on an SD card if that is possible and then see if it works on my GPS. Is there anything special I need to do to be able to do this? The instructions are not very clear.

Comment

Thanks for the responses and well wishes. I think I will try to load it on an SD card if that is possible and then see if it works on my GPS. Is there anything special I need to do to be able to do this? The instructions are not very clear.
                      hi B2B,

one way is to install mapsource to your computer, download the v5.17(5.08 same). then use the maptool in mapsource, highlight the places you want to transfer then click transfer to device, choose storage card then click send.

theres another way but i suggest you use this

HTH thanks and God Bless
                      - Bruce Lee

Comment

Update on progress

Ok so I have Mapsource and the Phil map on my computer. You said I need to select and copy to put what I want on the SD card. I want to copy everything in the Philippines into the SD card and then put it in my Garmin. How do I copy everything?

Is there any waypoints or POIs I can copy over on the SD card? How do I do that? I would like to transfer all the info that is possible.

Sincerely,

Bill
                        Last edited by B2B; 11-22-2009, 07:22.

Comment

Ok so I have Mapsource and the Phil map on my computer. You said I need to select and copy to put what I want on the SD card. I want to copy everything in the Philippines into the SD card and then put it in my Garmin. How do I copy everything?

Is there any waypoints or POIs I can copy over on the SD card? How do I do that? I would like to transfer all the info that is possible.

Sincerely,

Bill
                          hi bill,

on the mapsource, use tthe maptool and select what you want to transfer to your unit or sd card then click transfer
                          - Bruce Lee

Comment

POIs Waypoints

Are any POIs in the Std Map. I have the streets but that is all.

Thanks

Bill

Comment

Are any POIs in the Std Map. I have the streets but that is all.

Thanks

Bill
                              there are a lot of them also. you can use where to to look for them if youre in the phils.
                              - Bruce Lee

Comment

Working...
                              X