Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not sure if my tracks are better or not.

Thanks Borgie;
    I am new at this and have a Garmin Nuvi 275T which does not have a exturnal antena. When I am in the car I set up the 1 second recording, and set it so that it says I am walking so I am not glued to the road. But I notice when I make a U turn or a right angle turn it seems to loose resolution. I think it is because of it being in a car and it changes satalites due to the cars view of the sky. I think the best is when I am riding my motercycle.

Comment

Originally posted by GPS_FRANK View Post
      Here is some more tracks. Am I correct that you DO NOT want tracks of roads that are already existing on the demo map? or do you use the track information to improve routing? and of course the obvious to add street names.
      Question: Is there a set method of adding a fly-over? do I submit separate tracks for the underpass, overpass, U-turn points, and in all directions? as separate tracks? Or ley you guy’se it out from the data?
      Flyover, underpass, overpass, u-turn points - submit independent tracks with 1-sec interval preferably and put WP to explain if which is which.
      Its also important to locate the start and end points of each one by putting WPs again describing it. HTH.
      FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

Thanks Borgie;
        I am new at this and have a Garmin Nuvi 275T which does not have a exturnal antena. When I am in the car I set up the 1 second recording, and set it so that it says I am walking so I am not glued to the road. But I notice when I make a U turn or a right angle turn it seems to loose resolution. I think it is because of it being in a car and it changes satalites due to the cars view of the sky. I think the best is when I am riding my motercycle.
        You mean in routing you set it to "pedestrian" instead of "car"? There's a setting there in "Show Location" where you set it to "at GPS location" instead of "lock on road" and this setting enables the GPS to record your tracks exactly. For u-turns and right-turn angles it does not look accurate simply because the road is wide and you can't really make a very sharp turn. It has nothing to do with satellite reception. And in the map we have a thin line representation only. That is why we need to edit the road track in Mapsource to straighten it so we get to see 90 deg. turns (if it really is a 90 deg. turn) and nice roundabouts. Yup, riding a motorcycle is better since you can make tight turns and go slowly, which really helps if your tracking at 1 sec interval as the points are bunched together resulting to a more accurate road track. HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Borgie View Post
          You mean in routing you set it to "pedestrian" instead of "car"? There's a setting there in "Show Location" where you set it to "at GPS location" instead of "lock on road" and this setting enables the GPS to record your tracks exactly. For u-turns and right-turn angles it does not look accurate simply because the road is wide and you can't really make a very sharp turn. It has nothing to do with satellite reception. And in the map we have a thin line representation only. That is why we need to edit the road track in Mapsource to straighten it so we get to see 90 deg. turns (if it really is a 90 deg. turn) and nice roundabouts. Yup, riding a motorcycle is better since you can make tight turns and go slowly, which really helps if your tracking at 1 sec interval as the points are bunched together resulting to a more accurate road track. HTH
          Sir Borgie, GPS_Frank,
          Just FYI.
          Im using Nuvi760, setting is "off road" so track will not stick on roads.
          But this has effect only on automatic track recording of nuvis.
          For easter egg track logs, it has no effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Reiji0463 View Post
            Sir Borgie, GPS_Frank,
            Just FYI.
            Im using Nuvi760, setting is "off road" so track will not stick on roads.
            But this has effect only on automatic track recording of nuvis.
            For easter egg track logs, it has no effect.
            Thanks for the info. I haven't really checked out a Nuvi yet so i just based my observation on Garmin Mobile PC, which i thought had a similar menu setting as the Nuvi... sorry for the confusion...

Comment

Hi Sir Borgie, Reiji0463,

You mean in routing you set it to "pedestrian" instead of "car"?
              What I have is a Nuvi 275T and under system there is a Usage Mode that I set to Pedestrian....

I have 3 choices Automobile, Bicycle, or Pedestrian

when I use the tools, Where am I, and do the hidden logging command touching the 4 points
              NeaREST Intersection,
              NeaREST Address
              Nearest IntersecTION,
              Nearest AddRESS,
              (CAPS Being where U press on the screen.)

Then I get the Logging Control screen where I start recording.

for options on that screen I have Start Playback, Start recoring, or BACK
              Unless there is some other hidden feature.

I can't find the "Show Location" that you speek of. But I have noticed that it does show me going off the road when I enter a parking lot. So I think it is working the way you want. and when I loot at time in my tracks the seem to be 1 second intervals.

Should viewing the tracks in Google earth be considered the "Gold standard" I have noticed that some parts of google earth are not updated very often. ie. the subdivision I will be moving into has no houses or buildings on google earth and is a very low res image at least two years old.

Comment

more tracks

Comment

roads of tiaong

tiaong quezon

Comment

Hi Sir Borgie, Reiji0463,

for options on that screen I have Start Playback, Start recoring, or BACK
                    Unless there is some other hidden feature.

I can't find the "Show Location" that you speek of. But I have noticed that it does show me going off the road when I enter a parking lot. So I think it is working the way you want. and when I loot at time in my tracks the seem to be 1 second intervals.

Should viewing the tracks in Google earth be considered the "Gold standard" I have noticed that some parts of google earth are not updated very often. ie. the subdivision I will be moving into has no houses or buildings on google earth and is a very low res image at least two years old.
                    After starting record, it will record tracks in 1-sec interval. These tracks will have automatic setting of "off road", no need to set it to "pedestrian" or "bicycle". "Pedestrian" or "bicycle" or "car" setting will not affect tracks recording using easter egg function.

I think "Show location" means "Where I am" button in nuvis.

Google Earth tracing is only applicable for roads which are NOT in our map yet. These traces does not come with 1-sec interval so quality is not that good. We can incorporate these traces for now, but if there would be GPS tracks later then we can replace it.
                    One major help of GE tracing is for polygons (rivers, airports, bldgs, malls, etc); see thread for polygon upload.

Comment

cavite tracks

Comment

Several tracks in Oriental Mindoro

Your comments are welcome...
                        See FAQ for Newbies below
                        Click Here

Comment

Continuation of Pinamalayan Tracks..

Continuation of Pinamalayan-Socorro Tracks
                          Click Here

Comment

Several Tracks in Antipolo City, Teresa and Bulacan

Antipolo to Teresa via backdoor, Bulacan Tracks via service roads and inside Robinsons Homes East
                            Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by Roadguide2000 View Post
                              Your comments are welcome...
                              Hi Roadguide2000. Nice handle you got there . I've checked your tracks and they are nice. However, it's better if you combine them all in one file as they pertain to one area only. To do this, just open a blank Mapsource file, then open all your track files (that you uploaded), then copy/paste the tracks to that blank file one by one. Save it xxxx_tracks.gdb, filename could be the name of the area. This way, it would be easier to check and less time to download. If you make this correction, please don't forget to unattach your uploaded files that have been corrected...TIA

Comment

connecting roads

Comment

Working...
                                X