Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check you contribution in Open Street Map

Dear All,

I am very excited and patiently waiting for the release of Version 1.07. I was already a long time member of this forum but only started to contribute for Version 1.07. Of course, it's everybody's feeling to be excited to see their fruit of labor included on the next issue.

One time I was browsing for other maps on the internet, I stumbled upon to this Open Street Map. I looked for the map of my hometown and I was surprised to see some familiar streets, the shape and locations. I checked my very firsts contributions (for the map code) and alas, it's the same tracks, here in OSM. May be somebody copied the tracks from my Roadguide post and contibuted it for me , of course without my knowledge.

Anyway, I didn't have regret about it. It all served the same purpose, to contribute for me and everybody's cause.

Okey it's time to check your own. May be you can see your own somewhere else before the release of 1.07.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/

Best Regards.
    Last edited by Roadguide2000; 08-16-2009, 13:55. Reason: wrong spelling
    See FAQ for Newbies below
    Click Here

hi roadguide,

thats the problem with some people. we are willing to help in a good cause, all they have to do is ask(obviously the one that copied your contribution is also contributor status, because jm dont have access to see our contribution).
    what they are doing is like stealing. we do the hard work, spend time and they copy and paste.

good day to you sir
    Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
    - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Originally posted by Roadguide2000 View Post
      Dear All,

I am very excited and patiently waiting for the release of Version 1.07. I was already a long time member of this forum but only started to contribute for Version 1.07. Of course, it's everybody's feeling to be excited to see their fruit of labor included on the next issue.
      Wow, is version 1.07 going to be released soon..
      The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources. - A.E.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadguide2000 View Post
        Dear All,

One time I was browsing for other maps on the internet, I stumbled upon to this Open Street Map. I looked for the map of my hometown and I was surprised to see some familiar streets, the shape and locations. I checked my very firsts contributions (for the map code) and alas, it's the same tracks, here in OSM. May be somebody copied the tracks from my Roadguide post and contibuted it for me , of course without my knowledge.

Anyway, I didn't have regret about it. It all served the same purpose, to contribute for me and everybody's cause.

Okey it's time to check your own. May be you can see your own somewhere else before the release of 1.07.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/

Best Regards.
        Those are realities we have to come to terms with as this is an open forum wherein once you become a contributor, you can access other contributor's uploads.

But it's easy enough to check if data is copied or plagiarized because no two tracings, or tracks will be ever be the same in it's entirety. Best to put in a very very small "signature" track or line that you can readily identify. Or put in a "signature" waypoint as well... so later, you can say that that tracing or track or waypoint is yours and you have the raw file to prove it...

Btw, if you want you can join the waypoints.ph yahoogroup where the osm map is posted/released. Then you can ask your interesting questions there again...
        Last edited by Borgie; 08-17-2009, 08:28.

Comment

No Regret

Originally posted by Borgie View Post
          Those are realities we have to come to terms with as this is an open forum wherein once you become a contributor, you can access other contributor's uploads.

But it's easy enough to check if data is copied or plagiarized because no two tracings, or tracks will be ever be the same in it's entirety. Best to put in a very very small "signature" track or line that you can readily identify. Or put in a "signature" waypoint as well... so later, you can say that that tracing or track or waypoint is yours and you have the raw file to prove it...

Btw, if you want you can join the waypoints.ph yahoogroup where the osm map is posted/released. Then you can ask your interesting questions there again...

I said on my first post, I didn't regret what happened. I understood that this thing is the vulnerability of an open forum.

Although the two tracks are not exactly the same I can say this are truly mine because there were three places that I logged the tracks. All the three were at OSM. Attached are my original logs for your viewing.

Anyway, just for your info.

Comparison Tracks.rar
          Last edited by Roadguide2000; 08-17-2009, 09:42. Reason: File too small
          See FAQ for Newbies below
          Click Here

Comment

Working...
          X