X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nuvi 255W, HWID 1091, does not create a 1s tracklog

Hello all,

Sorry for a negative 1st post.

I can confirm that the Garmin Nuvi 255W with HWID 1091 does not create a 1s tracklog.

It does allow the easter egg, with the Start Recording/Stop Recording feature, as described in numerous places (Where Am I, push 4 points on the screen).

It does create a normal tracklog, in the 'current.gpx' file. This file still has "normal" tracklog seperations, that look to be based on major heading changes. This is an XML based file that contains the track log and user-added saved locations. It works very well with MapSource with no conversions.

It does not create the 'gps.bin' file anywhere on the device. (for the record, I know very well how to view hidden files on Windows machines, etc. The file does not exist on the device).

I've sent requests to Garmin for an explanation of why the easter egg works but the 1s tracklog is not created, with no replies as of yet (9 days now).

For details sake, I bought the Garmin 255W at Best Buy in the US, in early December, for $99. Great deal, and the device is pretty great, except for the missing 1s tracklog feature. Highly recommended for a relatively basic GPS with the detailed tracklog.

I considered posting this in the Nuvi Family thread, but as others are looking at buying the device right now, I though having a new thread would be appropriate. It's very hard to find information in the other one. Many people say the 255W does support the 1s tracklog, and at least some versions definitely do not.

Now I need to decide whether to sell this one and buy something that does create the 1s log, or just plan on submitting POIs only.

Hmm, please read the below thread, not sure if you are having the same problem as him, but please read the suggestion of Reiji about GPX file.

http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=3511&page=2

Good luck!
    Last edited by arvin555; 12-18-2010, 00:09. Reason: corrected the incorrect link to the related thread.

Comment

I can confirm that Nuvi255 from US do record 1-sec tracks.
      Follow link posted by Arvin555.
      FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

Originally posted by arvin555 View Post
        Hmm, please read the below thread, not sure if you are having the same problem as him, but please read the suggestion of Reiji about GPX file.

http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=3515

Good luck!
        Hi,

Is this the correct thread? I'm not sure what loading a map of Taiwan has to do with this.

Comment

Originally posted by Reiji0463 View Post
          I can confirm that Nuvi255 from US do record 1-sec tracks.
          Follow link posted by Arvin555.
          Hello,

Thank you for replying.

I'd like to know where you found your 1s tracklog and how you created it, assuming you also have HWID 1091.

Thanks,

Jeff

Comment

My Bad! I have no idea why or how I posted the wrong URL this is the correct one:

Comment

My Bad! I have no idea why or how I posted the wrong URL this is the correct one:

No problem. I do it all the time!

I've turned on "View Hidden Files and Folders" and turned off "Hide Protected OS Files" (different wording, but both options are set properly), and when using search I have it include hidden files and folders, etc. I'm working as Administrator when I do all of this.

There is no debug folder on the device, no hidden files or folders of any kind.

The only file that appears to contain tracklog data is the current.gpx, and that is not saving 1s updates. The data points appear to be based on heading changes only.

Comment

As I don't have the same unit as you, I will just shoot from the hips here and do some suggestion, you might know or have done this already but just covering some bases.

1. Please make sure that you are checking out both your Garmin GPS unit as well as the SD or external card, though I am sure that the 1 sec track on mine is saved in the GPS unit itself and not on the external card.

For example my computer shows Removable disk E and Garmin Nuvi H and I search my 1sec tracks in the Garmin Nuvi H one.

2. My Log files are in .System folder which is hidden, but should be seen if you already did that thing about showing system and hidden folders.

I'm terribly sorry but again I am just using my own 1350 as basis big possibilty that the file system between my model are your's is different, too bad I was just playing around my a friend's 255W but I did not have time to explore the easteregg thing.

May I also suggest you google it, maybe there are other suggestions elsewhere.

3. Lastly if you do find GPX files in your unit, try to open with mapsource, copy it to your Computer drive, open it and then view the Track. Double click on a track from mapsource and check the "Leg time" if the leg times are 0:00:01 then those are 1second tracks already

Again Good luck. If you are able to set it up and there is confirmation that easter egg is on, then the file should be there somewhere

TTFN
                Arvin

Comment

hi sir fusion.

if all else fail, then maybe sir natsu is right that the 1-sec track recording is/was disabled as stated in his post http://roadguide.ph/forums/showpost....&postcount=261

well, i for one am hoping that is was just modified and new method will be discovered on how to uncover the activation of the 1-sec track recording which might now be different from the "1,2,3,4" method previously indicated.

HTH.
                  Last edited by doki; 12-19-2010, 02:26.

Comment

Yeah I just saw a summary of nuvi 1sec track list which I actually made and there is a note there about the HWID 1091 based on feedback from Natsu.

http://roadguide.ph/forums/showpost....5&postcount=25

Sorry! But yeah keep researching somewhere else someone might find a way or a new way.

Comment

Yeah I just saw a summary of nuvi 1sec track list which I actually made and there is a note there about the HWID 1091 based on feedback from Natsu.

http://roadguide.ph/forums/showpost....5&postcount=25

Sorry! But yeah keep researching somewhere else someone might find a way or a new way.
                      I sure hope so. It's a great GPS.. low cost and fully functional.. it really works great. It's still fine for personal use, and submitting POIs, so I think I'll go that route (no pun intended!) to get access to the detailed map.

Thanks to everyone who operate and contribute to this site, and Merry Christmas to all

Comment

205W and 255W with HWID 1091 like mine (and my friend's) bought from the states, will activate the easter egg, and will start recording, but sadly it does not log the 1s tracks. It doesnt have a debug folder, and it doesnt have a gps.bin file on the garmin\logs folder. Its all over the gps forums over the net regarding units with this HWID.

If anyone out there with HWID 1091 who can log 1s tracks, please post here so we would know that we still have hope. I simply gave up last year and never attempted again.

Cheers and Merry Christmas

wayfaring man

Comment

true ... the same observations on my 255W from U.S. (hwid 1091) ... no 1s tracks

Comment

Originally posted by wayfaringman View Post
                            205W and 255W with HWID 1091 like mine (and my friend's) bought from the states, will activate the easter egg, and will start recording, but sadly it does not log the 1s tracks. It doesnt have a debug folder, and it doesnt have a gps.bin file on the garmin\logs folder. Its all over the gps forums over the net regarding units with this HWID.

If anyone out there with HWID 1091 who can log 1s tracks, please post here so we would know that we still have hope. I simply gave up last year and never attempted again.

Cheers and Merry Christmas

wayfaring man
                            Originally posted by kinyo View Post
                            true ... the same observations on my 255W from U.S. (hwid 1091) ... no 1s tracks
                            maybe your unit already convert it to gpx file. check inside those nuvi folders.
                            or try to ask from malfreemap site. they have a patch for some hwid model maybe they can help. and if they did please post it here
                            Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
                            - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Originally posted by hbt View Post
                              maybe your unit already convert it to gpx file. check inside those nuvi folders.
                              or try to ask from malfreemap site. they have a patch for some hwid model maybe they can help. and if they did please post it here
                              i've previously done all as suggested ... no luck

Comment

Working...
                              X