Anyone using the new Nuvi 3790T?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone using the new Nuvi 3790T?

I am interested in getting the Nuvi 3790T. Is anyone using it in the Philippines? Will it use the maps here with no porblems?

It should be capable of using the 107 map. If ever you get to attain contributor status, it might not be able to unlock the maps...

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    How to get the upgraded map.

It's a sick world and I'm a happy man...

Comment

"It should be capable of using the 107 map. If ever you get to attain contributor status, it might not be able to unlock the maps... "

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm new to the Philippines, Garvin for automobile, and Nuvi. Not sure what the 107 map is. I understand what it means to attain contributor status, which I intend to do. What does it mean that I might not be able to unlock the maps...?

I won't mind if you just point my newbie questions to an appropriate resource if that would be easier for you.

Comment

Originally posted by RickO View Post
        "It should be capable of using the 107 map. If ever you get to attain contributor status, it might not be able to unlock the maps... "

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm new to the Philippines, Garvin for automobile, and Nuvi. Not sure what the 107 map is. I understand what it means to attain contributor status, which I intend to do. What does it mean that I might not be able to unlock the maps...?

I won't mind if you just point my newbie questions to an appropriate resource if that would be easier for you.
        107 is the version of the map that everyone gets to use. No strings attached.

The contributors version is the latest version of the map and is locked.

Garmin has recently shifted it policy towards third party locked maps where the latest garmin models won't be able to use said locked maps. Garmin doesn't like third party maps even when those maps are the only ones available for a country and have created quite a few sales for garmin...

That's why your nuvi might not be able to use the contributors map.
        How to get the upgraded map.

It's a sick world and I'm a happy man...

Comment

Just got the 3790t. Philippine map works fine

Comment

Originally posted by dongsese View Post
            Just got the 3790t. Philippine map works fine
            What map & version? Welcome to Roadguide dongsese...

Comment

Originally posted by Borgie View Post
              What map & version? Welcome to Roadguide dongsese...
              thanks.
              the standard map downloaded here. i'm not yet a contributor

Comment

I'm also ah newbie here and i'm interested on the 3790t, so please do post if it does accept the contributors map.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by johngobs View Post
                  I'm also ah newbie here and i'm interested on the 3790t, so please do post if it does accept the contributors map.

Thanks

roadguide map is compatible with garmin product
                  Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
                  - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

I think I spoke too soon re: the map working very well on the 3790t. When i try to look for an address ("Where To?/Address), the unit says "no map data available". is this a problem with the map or the unit?
                    Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by dongsese View Post
                      I think I spoke too soon re: the map working very well on the 3790t. When i try to look for an address ("Where To?/Address), the unit says "no map data available". is this a problem with the map or the unit?
                      Thanks
                      My friend had the same problem with his unit. Try this method, remove the battery and wait for a couple of minutes before re-inserting it. Then while holding the bottom right hand corner of your screen, power up the device. It will either hard reset (all saved POI's and tracks might be erased so backup your files before you do this) or re-initialize the device. After that your GPS will work fine.
                      The more you ignore me, the closer I get...

Comment

thanks, but the battery is not removable.

Comment

Hi dongsese howmuch did your unit cost and where did you purchase it very interested in the same model tnx

Comment

got it in sweden when i went there last month. it retailed around 24k but got a tax refund of about 3k, so about 21k pesos. cheaper than getting it here. but if you can purchase it in the US, its much cheaper, around 18k

Comment

I recently purchased a Garmin Nuvi 3790T also. I am a contributor and so I got me self the unlock code. Upon installation though, I booted up my unit and saw that the unit displays a "Cannot Authenticate Maps" message.

I guess this is what Jan was saying in an earlier post where Garmin is not allowing 3rd party maps, unless probably it is unlocked.

So now I will try the free routable map first for this unit unless I find a way to install the latest map.

FYI.

rem

Comment

Working...
                              X