Our maps not verified nor certified

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our maps not verified nor certified

According to Inquirer's Botchi Santos in today's Motoring section (B3-2).....

"...The Accu-Map software is superior to other open source maps because it is professionally done and regularly validated, unlike others which rely on enthusiasts who do not double check and certify their maps."

This coming from a guy who I quote, "I'm a technophobe, I have a smart phone but I don't utilize its functions....... I have a Suunto Regatta watch which I've owned for over five years still confuses me to this day"

I just came from a 36 hours, 800+km journey to and from the Mt. Province and our maps did pretty well. Was even surprised on waypoints along the way that I didn't notice before.

Haha, I should stop reading the Motoring section in the mornings.

Guess who's paying for that article?
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

...anyway "others" doesn't necessarily mean it's Roadguide map.

Comment

consider it a challenge to further improve

Comment

This article doesn't categorically names any community but the author needs to know that data in community-based maps are double-checked too and that comparing pro maps and community-based maps is like comparing apples and oranges. Considering I like reading his articles in a mag he writes in too, he seems to have inaccurately described community-based map. But I guess oj88 is right...
          ʇɐʞө uoʇµ!uɓ p∩ʇ ʍɐʎ bo!uʇƨ, ꞁөɐ٨ө uoʇµ!uɓ p∩ʇ pʁөɐq ⅽʁ∩wpƨ, ʞ!ꞁꞁ uoʇµ!uɓ p∩ʇ ʇ!wө.

Comment

well, its just so sad to have been prematurely judged.

maybe he saw the old free map

we always double check, that's why we have waypoint corrections and track/routing corrections.

Comment

anybody can say anything. im sure he is not aware of roadguide. better for him to join us

a little of knowledge is dangerous

Comment

actually... i think he doesn't know we exist

i think he's reffering to the other one hehehe
                Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
                - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Originally posted by oj88 View Post
                  Guess who's paying for that article?
                  Originally posted by hbt View Post
                  actually... i think he doesn't know we exist
                  i think he's reffering to the other one hehehe
                  Methinks he knows we exist kuya bai but he knows who butters his bread, hehe...

Anyways, as beerboy says he's just been to an 800+km journey to and from the Mt. Province using the RG map all the way. Can he say the same for that map he says is more superior? Just sayin' (to borrow kuya bai's fave expression, hehe)

Comment

as usual...

LOSER WHINES

WINNERS JUST WORK
                    Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
                    - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Originally posted by daimengrui View Post
                      consider it a challenge to further improve
                      Correct but for us , the more farther and isolated, the more we enjoy contributing tracks

Comment

Originally posted by Borgie View Post
                        Methinks he knows we exist kuya bai but he knows who butters his bread, hehe...

Anyways, as beerboy says he's just been to an 800+km journey to and from the Mt. Province using the RG map all the way. Can he say the same for that map he says is more superior? Just sayin' (to borrow kuya bai's fave expression, hehe)
                        I even saw an offroad route that I didn't notice before, I took it and was glad someone contributed it to RG.

Comment

one way to improve accuracy is to use a re-radiating antenna... you SHOULDNT be mapping at all WITHOUT one. Real mappers use one.

Comment

one way to improve accuracy is to use a re-radiating antenna... you SHOULDNT be mapping at all WITHOUT one. Real mappers use one.
                            I guess I can't be called a real mapper right now then?

hmm... I better switch to StarFix 8200 + Starfix.SEIS then while I'm out here.
                            ʇɐʞө uoʇµ!uɓ p∩ʇ ʍɐʎ bo!uʇƨ, ꞁөɐ٨ө uoʇµ!uɓ p∩ʇ pʁөɐq ⅽʁ∩wpƨ, ʞ!ꞁꞁ uoʇµ!uɓ p∩ʇ ʇ!wө.

Comment

Originally posted by Beerboy View Post
                              I even saw an offroad route that I didn't notice before, I took it and was glad someone contributed it to RG.
                              While we do wish for 1 sec or better tracks for a more accurate representation of our road networks, it is not a mandatory. Having someone contribute GPS tracks in remote/offroad areas is very much welcome even if these are non-1 sec tracks. It's better than nothing. And as experienced by Beerboy, it could open up exciting possibilities for further exploration when you see that road in your RG map . And an opportunity to submit correction tracks if your GPS device supports 1 sec tracking.

Some of our major contributors are even "table" mappers using GE in tracing road networks all over the Philippines . And the output is more or less the same as long as there are GPS reference tracks for the traced areas or as long as the traced area can be properly calibrated...

Comment

Working...
                              X