265W vs 255W

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

265W vs 255W

I've seen the specs on paper. Frankly, I liked the Hotfix feature on the 265W. One thing I noticed is that the 255W TTS is much more smooth and realistic, while the 265W TTS seems robotic. Reminds me of Stephen Hawking speaking through his speech synthesizer.

Can anyone confirm this? Can the the 265W be fixed to sound like that from a 255W?
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

re 265w n 255w

all 2x5 series share the same Hotfix feature , voice you can change/update software of the voice .... did you compared (voice of )same versions of the 265w and 255w ?

Comment

My bad. I misunderstood the Hotfix feature. I meant to say the "instant-on" feature... not sure what it is exactly called.

On the 255W, it takes about 12 secs for it to boot up before it becomes usable. The 265W on the other hand, would take you to the main menu in under one second after you slide the power switch.

As for the voice, yes, I used the same voice personality and the 265wt still sounds robotic. I'll check the others.

Comment

hi kuya oj,

more regarding Hotfix here: http://gpstekreviews.com/2008/08/26/...s-start-times/

HTH
        Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
        - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Originally posted by hbt View Post
          hi kuya oj,

more regarding Hotfix here: http://gpstekreviews.com/2008/08/26/...s-start-times/

HTH
          Thanks, hbt. At the back of my head, I really knew that all along. Di ko alam kung bakit yun ang na-i-type ko...

This is embarrassing... me, who's been using a GPS since 2003. But in retrospect, I wish we had hotfix back then... could have made my job a lot faster.

Anyway, since you're here, do you notice the voice thing I described on the 265wt vs 255w?

Comment

Originally posted by oj88 View Post
            My bad. I misunderstood the Hotfix feature. I meant to say the "instant-on" feature... not sure what it is exactly called.

On the 255W, it takes about 12 secs for it to boot up before it becomes usable. The 265W on the other hand, would take you to the main menu in under one second after you slide the power switch.

As for the voice, yes, I used the same voice personality and the 265wt still sounds robotic. I'll check the others.
            When was the last time you use both units (before u turned it on ?)
            If u can try it with the same conditions ( off time , on time, location off n on...)

re voice : are they the same version ? even if they are the same personality, there are still different versions.....

Comment

I have no problems with Hotfix. It was a mistake to have brought it up. It's the quick-boot/quick-start feature that I liked about the 265wt. It's the device start-up time... totally a different feature from Hotfix.

Anyway, as for the voices, I originally presumed that they were the same (255w and 265wt)... iba din pala. But anyway, the voice playback on the 265wt definitely sound a bit rough around the edges compared to the 255w.

EDIT: Attached voice samples for comparison
              Attached Files
              Last edited by oj88; 06-06-2010, 23:43.

Comment

hi kuya oj,

i think you can change the voice.

try to put the voice file that you like to the unit that you dont like and see what happen.
                its the .sum and the .vpm file
                but of course do it at your own risk.
                Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
                - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

It must be hardware difference, .vpm file is the same. Its kinda like playing the same music on different speakers. :-)

The "robotic" voice is a small issue compared to the way it will read our local roads. It will only be reading it correctly when Garmin releases a Philiippine English voice file.

Comment

I can extract and send you the latest Jill VPM file. You can try it out, just pm me your email add so I can send you dl link

Comment

i think 255w can receive more satellite's vs 265w

Comment

re 265w n 255w

fyi : they belong to the same series 2x5s , their hardware is the same , only added features to the 265w ...... even their voices should be the same provided they have the same voice versions......satellite locks ( all HotFix)

Comment

255w is cheap

Comment

Originally posted by mms View Post
                            fyi : they belong to the same series 2x5s , their hardware is the same , only added features to the 265w ...... even their voices should be the same provided they have the same voice versions......satellite locks ( all HotFix)
                            I beg to disagree.

The 265wt identifies itself on the PC as a Nuvi series 8. I'm guessing that it has more similarities with the 8xx series nuvi's (with voice recognition factory-disabled, of course) than it is with 2xx series.

Comment

Originally posted by oj88 View Post
                              I beg to disagree.

The 265wt identifies itself on the PC as a Nuvi series 8. I'm guessing that it has more similarities with the 8xx series nuvi's (with voice recognition factory-disabled, of course) than it is with 2xx series.
                              Here is the reply of garmin " Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

The satellite acquisition time and the loudness/voice pitch on the Nuvi 2x5 series should be able the same.

You can try updating the firmware on your device to fix any glitches on the unit. ........"

How did you come to have a PC indentify it as a nuvi series 8 ???
                              Just tried mapsource get unit id : it says nuvi 265w ...

Here is the file when i opened " garmin device" file of the 265w :
                              <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
                              - <Device xmlns="http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/GarminDevice/v2" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/GarminDevice/v2 http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/GarminDevicev2.xsd">
                              - <Model>
                              <PartNumber>006-B0827-00</PartNumber>
                              <SoftwareVersion>640</SoftwareVersion>
                              <Description>nĂ¼vi 265W</Description>
                              Last edited by mms; 06-10-2010, 00:00. Reason: add detail

Comment

Working...
                              X