Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garmin Nuvi 1350

Hey guys!

Newbie here. Been reading up on this Nuvi 1350 we just got from a relative in the US to learn how to put in maps for the PH.

I tried turning it on and placing the Philippines as the country--it wasn't in the choices.

Anyway, so I read about MapSource, but our GPS has no DVD/CD installer. And I'm figuring out how to check out the files on the Nuvi but it has no USB cable either. Pretty weird.

I'm pretty much lost with what to do next. Lol.

you don't need a cd to install mapsource. check the software section / mpsource subsection.

any (almost all) usb cable will suffice. some dont. try another one then.
    How to get the upgraded map.

It's a sick world and I'm a happy man...

Comment

yeah as Kuya Jan said, you don't need a CD/DVD drive, just download mapsource from the net and then install it.

Look at the back of your 1350 and you will see a small connector where you charge your unit, that is a "mini USB" connector. If your kid didn't come with one, go to your nearest computer accessory shop (CDRking for example) and get a USB to mini USB connector. My 1350 did not come with one either.

Please visit the FAQ PAGE on how, where to install mapsource as well as to upload map.

Some tips and reminders:

Use the FAQ page for a link to mapsource, I highly recommend Mapsource 6.15.7 version, never download and install versions later than 6.15.7.
      Before installing mapsource you need to install the training guide first, so do that first, in other words please follow the instructions in the FAQ step by step.

As you are still a Junior member, you should download the "free map" first, again in FAQ.

Then download the "Demo map" and install that in Mapsource only, this is for reference on what you can contribute.

Well okay the rest should be in the FAQ.

Good luck!
      Last edited by arvin555; 11-13-2010, 21:48.

Comment

Got a new 1350T. Yep, everything is there in the FAQ, however, you may need to read it twice or thrice to get the steps right. And for some other steps, you may need common sense.

I was able to load roadguides basic map 1.07. I also loaded the OSM map in the micro SD card but I can't seem to access that yet.

So far, it works.

Comment

i just got a garmin 1350. ive already installed a free map..it is normal that it takes a long time to locate satellites?

Comment

Jimi,

Yes that is normal, hehehe, I think we need to put this question in the FAQ

But to expound, specially if you got it from the US, you need to put it outdoors where it can "see" unobstructed view of the sky, so that it can detect and receive satellite signals, if from the US, it might be looking for satellites that are usually in the US skies, if you leave it out long enough it will eventually be able to scroll through the list of satellites and lock on those here in the Philippines.

Heck actually if I travelled from Manila to Cebu, first time I turn the unit on in Cebu, it takes a bit longer for it to lock on as well, but it really takes longer if the unit things she is still American when he is in fact Pinoy already.

TTFN
            Arvin

Comment

From my experience, it takes approx 3 to 5 minutes for the 1350 to lock on to the satellites the FIRST time it is turned on in a new place. After that, it just takes seconds to lock on. However, if it is not used for several days, it will take longer again to lock on to the satellites, because it saves the last known location of the satellites. If you move the unit to a different country or if you don't turn it on for several days, the satellites will already be in a different configuration from what was saved, so it has to look for them again. HTH!

Comment

Need some help guys, just got a nuvi 1350 and I can't connect it to mapsource to get the unit ID.

Am I doing it right?

1. I connect the usb cable to the PC.

2. The unit turns into usb mass storage mode, the nuvi shows up in my computer and I can browse it's contents.

3. I launch mapsource version 6157. Go to utilities, get unit id.

4. An error pops up saying :

"There was anerror communicating with the Garmin device GARMIN (G:\) , Please update the software in the device. Communication the device may continue with reduced functionality. Please contact Garmin support for assistance."

5. I installed garmin webupdater to check for software updates, and it says software is current, no updates available.

What do I do now? Mapsource and the usb cable works without any problems on my windows mobile device running Garmin XT.

Comment

@Monkeyking
                  try to update the usb drivers and/or update mapsource.
                  got a question? google it or do a forum search.

Comment

nuvi 1350

Hi I am planning to acquire a nuvi 1350 and I would like to know if the lane assist is voice assist prompt. From what I read, is there specific units that are for asia use?
                    Thanks hope can get up my mind what unit to get!!!

Comment

I have a Singapore purchased, Taiwan made 1350.
                      If you buy your 1350 from the US, it should still work, with some slight difference which is not that big a deal.

Lane assist, our RG contributor's map or the free 1.07 version does not have lane assist yet (as far as I know), however the voice prompts will/should let you know to keep left or right in preparation for a turn.

If ever I am wrong or if in the future Lane assist gets integrated with RG map, it is not an Audible prompt, it is an icon on the upper left corner which will show you which lane to take.

Those arrows are Lane assist examples.

Comment

Working...
                      X