Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nuvi 550 (500 series)

Hi,

i am thinking of buying nuvi 550 but i have no experience with nuvis at all.
    Please post your experience.

Questions like: this works with roadguide map. this can record tracks. Does this has a GPS SIRF III chips and so on.

thanks and greets,

nono
    "music for the road?" @ free-mp3.ph

Nuvi 550

Hi, I'm right now using NUVI 750 and it works really good. Now i'm always on the lead of the pack whenever we travel with other friends to places weve never been. thanks to Jan for the philippine map updates, cool. Yes it records tracks and you can assign routes to it, makes travel easy.

Comment

Nuvi and track log!

I don't think the Nuvi 5XX series records tracks or has a track log? I've a Nuvi 660 and it doesn't have that function. As far as I've understood this was first added as a feature for the Nuvi from series 7XX...
      Questions? Check Out The: "HOW TO"

Comment

Originally posted by jonatle View Post
        I don't think the Nuvi 5XX series records tracks or has a track log? I've a Nuvi 660 and it doesn't have that function. As far as I've understood this was first added as a feature for the Nuvi from series 7XX...
        the 200 did and does if you downgrade it . the bmw nuvis do out of the box (but not cheap).

but all of the nuvi tracklogs are "stick to road" and hence are quite useless as they only record what is already there, unless you switch off the map while tracking.
        How to get the upgraded map.

It's a sick world and I'm a happy man...

Comment

I think BMW uses the Nuvi 360. Or they used to.

Comment

Hi,

correct me if i am wrong. for my understanding. all nuvis' (Europe called nuevi) can manage all custom maps? And all 7XX to 8XX can record tracks?!
            I was asking if all this options are on Nuvi 550 but it is probably not.
            Advantage of Nuvi 550 (allrounder) or 8XX are the removable batteries and its not built in.

Thanks and greets,

nono

Comment

Originally posted by phtraveler View Post
              Hi,

correct me if i am wrong. for my understanding. all nuvis' (Europe called nuevi) can manage all custom maps? And all 7XX to 8XX can record tracks?!
              I was asking if all this options are on Nuvi 550 but it is probably not.
              Advantage of Nuvi 550 (allrounder) or 8XX are the removable batteries and its not built in.

Thanks and greets,

nono
              All depends what you want to use it for.

If you want to track, forget the nuvis.

If you want to have a nice easy to use gps for the dashboard of the car, get a nuvi. My two cents.

Comment

hi Jan,

thanks. i think for my needs now i have more than enough stuffs.

for tracking: nokia E's with Garmin XT (external SIRF III chip gps)
                for vehicle: Tomtom Go

thanks and greets,

nono

Comment

hi Jan,

thanks. i think for my needs now i have more than enough stuffs.

for tracking: nokia E's with Garmin XT (external SIRF III chip gps)
                  for vehicle: Tomtom Go

thanks and greets,

nono
                  forget garmin xt for tracking with nokia E series
                  there's much better: nokia's sporttracker with 1 second interval. i will look around for tracks made with garmin xt, sportstracker and nuvi 710. see and compare.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                    forget garmin xt for tracking with nokia E series
                    there's much better: nokia's sporttracker with 1 second interval. i will look around for tracks made with garmin xt, sportstracker and nuvi 710. see and compare.

Hi Jan,

cheers, installed sportstracker as well but which version of xt do you have?
                    on version 5.00.20 you have this option under "manage my data". i'll check the comparison later on. thanks
                    Attached Files

Comment

i still am at version 4 something. maybe i should upgrade, but i hardly use it as the screen on the e71 is not really big enough... only use it in taxis in manila....

Comment

ahhh ok. version 5.00.20 is cool.i think its more than enough while walking and mark some waypoints.
                        with the philmap you can easily check if points of interest has been contributed or not. display of e61 is much better but a bit slow.
                        i'll check the e63 if its good to handle.

Comment

ahhh ok. version 5.00.20 is cool.i think its more than enough while walking and mark some waypoints.
                          with the philmap you can easily check if points of interest has been contributed or not. display of e61 is much better but a bit slow.
                          i'll check the e63 if its good to handle.
                          might be wrong but i thought the e63 doesnt have gps?

Comment

Much much better for me. A-gps built on nokia e71 is a pain for me. It takes ages to search sat. Better to get an external gps device per bluetooth with sirf III chips built in. It takes just 30-45sec. to search satellites.

Comment

Need the experts advise. I plan to buy hardware for logging tracks. Please recommend brand and good set-up. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X