X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zambales

After swimming (bike and me)...

Lake Mampaen, Zambales

Just about 45-50kms from the main Highway off the town of Castillejos in Zambales, is Barangay Pili where Lake Mampaen is located. The path leading to Pili is compact offroad with some sections of loose gravel and dry lahar (slippery!).

Lake Mampaen was formed after the Pinatubo eruption. It was a valley rich with crops like palay and corn, but was flooded with rainwater when river paths were blocked by lahar. People who settled in what they thought were high-grounds evacuated and are now re-settled in what they deemed as the mountain part of their valley.

Also situated in the area is the abandoned Dizon Mines. Settlers composing mostly of Aetas scour the area for minute taces of gold. They also scavege the area for scrap metals from infrastructures buried by the lahar. A local told me that hundreds of displaced SBMA workers have also settled in the area.

An interesting feature of the lake is a submerged church which has only it's cross above water. According to the locals I talked to, the lake has tilapias, dalag and eels. Although they bathe in the lake, some locals boil the water first before drinking as they are afraid that remnants of the chemicals used in the mines might have trickled down into the lake.

There are lots more trails to be explored and locals say that there are some that lead to different towns of Zambales, as far as Botolan and even to Capas in Tarlac. Hmmmm....

Comment

Thanks for sharing your adventure

Is this place passable by 4x4?

I ask because I'm not a motorcycle rider but I would love to photograph that lake at sunset.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_D View Post
        Thanks for sharing your adventure

Is this place passable by 4x4?

I ask because I'm not a motorcycle rider but I would love to photograph that lake at sunset.
        Yes it is, see attached track. Just check-in with the PNP (or was it AFP) checkpoint right before the lake. Have fun.

Oops...sunset? Ummm, ask the local authorities if it's ok to hang around til sunset, just to be sure.
        Attached Files

Comment

Golly I just realized it's you pala...

SMALL WORLD talaga.

I'm the same Dave who bought RC stuff years ago and is from the same batch in High School

Comment

I had an inkling what the D in Dave_D stood for. From what I remember you're one heck of a Heli pilot.

Comment

Thanks

Sawa na ako sa toys kasi so I've been travelling too taking pictures wherever I can.

Mas fulfilling talaga sa aking keysa RC which is fun I admit, but I don't think I can tell my grandkids I am good at RC. I wanna tell them how far I've travelled these lands as well and with pictures to prove it

Comment

Working...
              X