Alternative to 1 Sec Tracks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternative to 1 Sec Tracks?

We know that RoadGuide.ph likes Track submissions with 1 second Recording.

I assume the 'logic' behind such request, is to obtain Tracks that display nicely rounded 'curves' accurately showing the 'track' from GPS 'plot'.

If one is travelling @ 60kph, that is 1 km per minute, or 16.66m per second.

Cut that speed down to 30kph and that is 8.33m per second.

15kph means 4.16m per second.

On my Wintec WBT-201 Bluetooth GPS logger I can change the settings to Record GPS Tracks based on the following:-
    1. HEADING

Range of Angle Change for Recording

Condition 1: Valid Speed For Record:After positioning, if the speed is between the left side (minimum 0-20kph) and right side (maximum 100-5,000), it is a valid speed for recording. This effectively sets a 'Filter' to prevent Recording when stationary, and spurious GPS track recording hundreds of Km away

Condition 2:After Condition 1 working, the Condition 2 would be reviewed. The device will record one point when the angle of left and right side changed more than 5 degrees (total 10 degrees), and record the other point for the other 10 degrees based on the last point.

The actual 'Heading' variation that can be set, is from 2 degrees (ie 1 degree left or right), to 180 degrees (ie 90 degree left or right turn only) in 2 degree graduation ie Heading Setting in Degrees of 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14 ....

2. SPEED MODE

Condition 1:Valid Speed For Record:After positioning, if the speed is between the left side (minimum) and right side (maximum), it is a valid speed for recording.

Condition 2:After Condition 1 working, the Condition 2 would be reviewed. The Speed Mode is separated 4 areas, and the record terms would depend on which area it is. For instance, when the speed is 50 km/h, then the point would be recorded every 6 seconds.

The 4 x speed 'Bands' are user configurable, as is the Recording Time Interval for each 'Speed Band'.

Example
      Condition 1: Valid Speed for Record: Min 2kph to Max 120kph
      Condition 2: 2-15kph = 1 Sec, 15-30kph = 2 sec, 30-60kph = 4 sec, 60-120kph = 8 sec Recording Interval

3. TIME MODE

Condition 1:Valid Speed For Record:After positioning, if the speed is between the left side (minimum) and right side (maximum), it is a valid speed for recording.

Condition 2:After Condition 1 working, the Condition 2 would be reviewed. The Log Setting by Time Mode means the record terms is based on the interval of what was set. For example, if could be set so the point would be recorded every 1 seconds, (if above 2kph, and below 120kph).

4. DISTANCE MODE

Condition 2:After Condition 1 working, the Condition 2 would be reviewed. The Log Setting by Distance Mode means the record terms is based on the interval of what was set. Use the last point as a datum point, when the distance of movement is longer than the value sat, one point would be recorded, and the recorded point should be next datum point.
      Range is 1m to 1km [COLOR="rgb(105, 105, 105)"](in 1m increments)[/COLOR]

5. MIX MODE

Condition 2:The Mix Mode combines Time and Distance Modes. As long as one of both terms is met, one point would be recorded.

To satisfy the strict requirement on 1 Second Recording by RoadGuide.ph, I have set my WBT-201 to 'TIME MODE' so if above 2kph and below 120kph, Tracks are recorded every 1 second, regardless of Speed, Distance or Heading.

I pose the question would 'HEADING', or 'MIX MODE', not give 'better' or as good GPS Track recording, with perhaps fewer total points recorded?

Example: Assume you are on a motorcycle, riding on a dirt track, travelling @ 15kph.

With 1 Second Time Interval recording, this will plot GPS Track Point every 4.16m

Travel around a bend of 45 Degrees, and one still only gets a Track Point recorded every 4.16m ie every 1 Second.

If I set my WBT-201 to 'HEADING' Mode and 10 Degrees (ie 5 degrees to left or 5 degrees to right), then it would have recorded 9 x GPS Track points.

You decide if 9 x Track Points around a 45 Degree Bend, regardless of speed, would give better GPS track plot, than every 4.16m if travelling @ 15kph, every 6.33m if travelling @ 30kph etc?

Why plot Tracks every 4.16m if travelling in a straight line @ 15kph?
    Would a Track Plot on change of Heading by say 5 Degrees to the Left or 5 degrees to the Right, not be just as good quality, better in fact, with more GPS Track points on bends, and fewer Track points on straight sections

Perhaps RoadGuide.ph might like to review this 1 Second Recoding and allow alternatives perhaps?

Pity Wintec don't offer a Mix Mode of Heading and Distance?
    However their current Mix Mode combines Time and Distance Modes. As long as one of both terms is met, one point would be recorded.

This could/would give better results when travelling @ higher speeds than just 1 Second Interval Time Mode?

@ 60kph, Time Mode of 1 second is GPS Track point every 16.66m. One could set Mix Mode to have Distance of 5Km Recording, so 3 times as many plots than just 1 second Recording @ 60kph.
    Last edited by Britster; 05-18-2011, 10:45.

obviously not everybody has a logger that has such advanced settings. i for one has a logger that you can only set based on time interval. if you feel that you have a much more accurate log by optimizing the settings on your device, please feel free to do it. we definitely wouldn't mind getting better logs than the usual 1-sec track.
    Last edited by pokz; 05-18-2011, 14:54.

Comment

I do not have a logger but i'm using a 60- csx unit set at every 1 sec. Traveling in mountainous areas with curves/bends , the log tends to deviate and accuracy could go as up to 50 to 100 meters so I still rather use my Nuvi for such recording until i have attached an antenna. Does these loggers not affected by satellite signals?

Comment

Originally posted by Britster View Post
        Perhaps RoadGuide.ph might like to review this 1 Second Recoding and allow alternatives perhaps?
        Very good points you raised there, backed by supporting data. I think such recording, where there are fewer points in straight tracks and more points in curves and bends, falls under track recording "auto/most often" in the 60CSx. Back then, when gps memory was an issue, this was the preferred recording mode. Now that most gps and pnd's have bigger storage space and external storage even, bigger files of recorded tracks is not that much of an issue anymore, which I think is the reason why 1-sec tracking is the preferred method.

But as Pokz mentioned, if your preferred method optimizes your track recording and produces better track logs, it's more than welcome...

Originally posted by jspalaroan View Post
        Does these loggers not affected by satellite signals?
        Kuya, these loggers still need to have an unobstructed view of the sky if possible for better accuracy. So factors that affect your 60CSx signal acquisition would have the same effect on the logger, imo...

Comment

To satisfy the strict requirement on 1 Second Recording by RoadGuide.ph,
          Hahaha! The replies and your information has just proven that the above is not technically true. I for one has realized (through this post) that the 1sec tracks from our Nuvis are not the ultimate way to record tracks. It's just that we just want to get the best our GPSRs can offer.

Actually for new roads/tracks the admins always say that normal tracks are also acceptable, just that 1sec tracks are preferred.

Cheers!
          TTFN
          Arvin

Comment

Originally posted by pokz View Post
            obviously not everybody has a logger that has such advanced settings. i for one has a logger that you can only set based on time interval. if you feel that you have a much more accurate log by optimizing the settings on your device, please feel free to do it. we definitely wouldn't mind getting better logs than the usual 1-sec track.
            When I started posting Submissions to qualify for obtaining the Unlock Code after The Judge raises your status to 'Contributor' I was submitting GPS Tracks from my WBT-201 where I had left it in the 'Heading Mode', but a Moderator stated they should be 1 second Interval Tracks, which they might not have been if travelling along a straight section of Road, not having 2 Degrees to Left or Right deviation from current heading.

So I changed it to Time Mode with 1 second Intervals and became a 'Contributor' after 2 x Submissions, with such setting.

I think I will try and set it back to 'Heading Mode' and see if there are any 'comments' from such submissions not being 1 second intervals.

A friend of mine from New Zealand bought a Garmin 60GSX and did the GPS Track of the Green Trail Ride #8 we went on. However looking at a copy of his .gdb file he e-mailed me to compare with my WBT-201 on that same Route, I noticed his Garmin was recording @ 2 second Intervals.

I said he should sign up as Member and submit, since I did read for new Tracks (it not on V1.24), these might qualify towards becoming such 'Contributor'.

Guess I can then submit same GPS Track, with my 1 second Interval currently, as an improvement/qualifier submission.

Think I might just buy that Garmin Nuvi 255 and waterproof Handlebar mount from Amazon in USA, and get shipped here for under Php5,000, then submit with that Garmin Unit ID?

Comment

Originally posted by jspalaroan View Post
              . Does these loggers not affected by satellite signals?
              The accuracy of the logged GPS Date depends on how many Satellites the GPS Receiver can see and what the quality of Signal is like for them.

I do know on my Nokia N95 6GB GPS Receiver, the unit has to be horizontal, with the case extended to show the Keypad (as the antennae is below that).

I do NOT want to mount my Nokia N95 8GB (that cost me Php24K back then) to the handlebars of my Motorcycle, where it will be exposed to the suns heat, as well as the vibration and shock, not to mention about when it rains, usually hard in Cebu when it does rain!

One cant read it very well at that angle either!

That is why I bought the WBT-201 Bluetooth GPS Logger for about US$100.

60 x 38 x 16 mm (W x L x H) (image size on screen, seems to be full/actual size size of the unit ie 38mm wide x 60mm tall)

GPS Specification:

1. Chipset : Atmel-uBlox ATR 0625

2. Channel : 16 Channel parallel satellite tracking

3. Time to First Fix (TTFF) : < Average 3.5/34 sec. (Hot/Cold start)

4. Antenna : Built-in active antenna

5. Output Message : NMEA 0183 (GPRMC, GPGGA, GPGSA, GPGSV)

6. Accuracy : < 2.5m CEP(Stand-Alone, S/A off)

7. Sensitivity: -158dBm tracking, -142dBm acquisition

8. Battery Life : 12hrs with Bluetooth; 15hrs w/o Bluetooth

9. Dimension : 60 x 38 x 16 mm (W x L x H)

I bought mine from Semsons in USA, and they offer good prices and offer very good service. I lost my battery cover to my WBT-201, some 3+ years after buying and yet they contacted the Manufacturer, Wintec in Taiwan, and Wintec are mailing me a FREE replacement!

Hows that for a good Manufacturer and good Distributor?

Sale Price $94.85 - You Save 5%

That sends NMEA formated GPS Data to my Nokia via Bluetooth, as well as logging in .TK1 format, if I press the Track/Waypoint button.
              GPS Babel utility can read and convert .TK1 format GPS Data, as well as the supplied TimeMachineX software that can Convert to .KMZ, .KML, HTML Webpage with 'Google Maps' or 'Virtual Earth' image. Also .GPX, .CDV , .TXT and NMEA Format.

This Time Machine X Utility also configures the WBT-201

Product Description:
              WBT-201 is the 2nd generation data logger from Wintec. It is now updated with Atmel-uBlox ATR 0625 chipset to provide excellent sensitivity at -158dBm and 40mA low operating current. In addition, WAAS is now enabled out of box for better accuracy. The new auto on/off mode turns the unit to stand-by mode when there is no Bluetooth activity during navigtion mode. If the unit is in logging mode, then only Bluetooth will turn off.

WBT-201 is a multi-function Bluetooth GPS data logger in an ultra compact form factor. The stand-alone track recording function is independent from any host and can be operated with Bluetooth off. The recorded track can be configured and even uploaded to Google Earth automatically with the bundled GPS utility.

Bluetooth GPS
              WBT-201 takes advantage of the Bluetooth wireless technology to offer hassle free installation on a Bluetooth enabled PDA, laptop and even smart phone.

USB GPS
              WBT-201 has on-board USB for using GPS in real-time through USB connection. The USB interface can also be used for data download or firmware upgrade.

Data Logger
              WBT-201 can record up to 131,072 waypoints. The data string includes timing, latitude, and longitude. The recorded track can be downloaded by Bluetooth or mini-USB and uploaded to Google Earth with bundled utility for viewing and analysis. In addition, the new TimeMachine X software can now combine photos into Google Earth.

Last edited by Britster; 05-19-2011, 01:10.

Comment

Think I might just buy that Garmin Nuvi 255 and waterproof Handlebar mount from Amazon in USA, and get shipped here for under Php5,000, then submit with that Garmin Unit ID?
                why not? getting another unlock code shouldn't cause you much trouble now that you are already a contributor. and ordering from the states seems to be the best option nowadays. just make sure you don't use fedex, ups or dhl in bringing it here, unless you don't mind being charged exorbitant customs fees. johnny air seems to be a good option based on postings here.

Comment

why not? getting another unlock code shouldn't cause you much trouble now that you are already a contributor. and ordering from the states seems to be the best option nowadays. just make sure you don't use fedex, ups or dhl in bringing it here, unless you don't mind being charged exorbitant customs fees. johnny air seems to be a good option based on postings here.
                  I was offered a 'Virtual' Credit Card from BDO, for Internet Shopping. Then BDO offered 1 year FREE membership to 'My-ShoppingBox.com'. Such Account gives you a unipue ShipTo Address in the USA, and a Telephone No.. to use when placing such Internet Order with the likes of Amazon.com in the USA for example (who might offer FREE SHIPPING on certain Items?).

Judging by the $8.50 per pound, Air Freight charges, it seems very unikely that they will use Fedex, UPS or DHL? That inciudes Insurance to $100 and additional 4% if you need additiomal cover for items above $100/package. They also mark it on Customs Declaration as 'Gift'. Amazon.com also offer FREE Gift Wrap on some Promo Items also.

With the way the Exchange Rate is going, my effective Pension Annuity, when converted to Peso, is reducing, that and inflation here in the Philippines, the introduction of VAT, means it is not no longer as cheap to live here in Paradise! Finding ways to buy comparable or better, than products locally, helps 'compensate' to some extent?

It is good to be able to buy things like genuine Garmin GPS Navigator, on special Promo Offers, from reputable companies such as Amazon.com, and these emerging USA Shopping Service companies, like my-shoppingbox.com and usa2pilipinas.com sending Goods bought on the Internet in USA, to your Credit Card Address, here in the Philippines.

As I gave in my 'example', it is possible to buy a Garmin Nuvi 255 (Refurbished by Garmin, but can't legally be sold as 'new', but functionality wise, is as 'good as new'), and certainly carries a Warranty better than CDR King GPS Navigators come with, for same price or lower in fact, including the shipping costs!
                  Last edited by Britster; 05-19-2011, 07:44.

Comment

I was offered a 'Virtual' Credit Card from BDO, for Internet Shopping. Then BDO offered 1 year FREE membership to 'My-ShoppingBox.com'. Such Account gives you a unipue ShipTo Address in the USA, and a Telephone No.. to use when placing such Internet Order with the likes of Amazon.com in the USA for example (who might offer FREE SHIPPING on certain Items?).

Judging by the $8.50 per pound, Air Freight charges, it seems very unikely that they will use Fedex, UPS or DHL? That inciudes Insurance to $100 and additional 4% if you need additiomal cover for items above $100/package. They also mark it on Customs Declaration as 'Gift'. Amazon.com also offer FREE Gift Wrap on some Promo Items also.

With the way the Exchange Rate is going, my effective Pension Annuity, when converted to Peso, is reducing, that and inflation here in the Philippines, the introduction of VAT, means it is not no longer as cheap to live here in Paradise! Finding ways to buy comparable or better, than products locally, helps 'compensate' to some extent?

It is good to be able to buy things like genuine Garmin GPS Navigator, on special Promo Offers, from reputable companies such as Amazon.com, and these emerging USA Shopping Service companies, like my-shoppingbox.com and usa2pilipinas.com sending Goods bought on the Internet in USA, to your Credit Card Address, here in the Philippines.

As I gave in my 'example', it is possible to buy a Garmin Nuvi 255 (Refurbished by Garmin, but can't legally be sold as 'new', but functionality wise, is as 'good as new'), and certainly carries a Warranty better than CDR King GPS Navigators come with, for same price or lower in fact, including the shipping costs!
                    that would be good news to people who do prefer to order items from the states, particularly from amazon. having alternatives certainly won't hurt.

Comment

That is why I bought the WBT-201 Bluetooth GPS Logger for about US$100.

60 x 38 x 16 mm (W x L x H) (image size on screen, seems to be full/actual size size of the unit ie 38mm wide x 60mm tall)

GPS Specification:

1. Chipset : Atmel-uBlox ATR 0625
                      2. Channel : 16 Channel parallel satellite tracking
                      3. Time to First Fix (TTFF) : < Average 3.5/34 sec. (Hot/Cold start)
                      4. Antenna : Built-in active antenna\
                      5. Output Message : NMEA 0183 (GPRMC, GPGGA, GPGSA, GPGSV)
                      6. Accuracy : < 2.5m CEP(Stand-Alone, S/A off)
                      7. Sensitivity: -158dBm tracking, -142dBm acquisition
                      8. Battery Life : 12hrs with Bluetooth; 15hrs w/o Bluetooth
                      9. Dimension : 60 x 38 x 16 mm (W x L x H)

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Wintec#WBT-201

Configuration of a WBT-201 for mapping use
                      I (Colin Marquardt) have configured my Wintec WBT-201 a bit different from the default settings. With this, the traces could almost be converted to OSM data directly, as they do not contain too many data points at higher speeds but collect enough at low speeds.

Log Mode: Speed
                      Speed and Logging Frequency:
                      1-20km/h: 1s
                      20-60km/h: 3s
                      60-100km/h: 5s
                      100-225km/h: 7s

This is tested mainly with car usage, but the settings also work nicely when walking. Further refinement is surely possible. The WBT-201 uses the Antaris 4 chipset, so other units with the same chipset can probably be set up like that as well. Changing the settings is done with the u-center software or TimeMachineX (linked above).
                      If these Settings are good for Open Street Map submissions, what about same settings for Roadguide.ph submissions?

I personally like logging set viaHeading Variation?
                      Set to 10 Degrees logs a Track point if deviation of 5 Degrees to left or 5 Degrees to the right, ie a 10 Degree Window if travelling straight where no tracks recorded, regardless of speed.

Go around a 45 Degree Bend, at any speed. no matter the distance travelled, and 5 x Track Points should get 'plotted', for nice smooth curves.

I will try some submissions with different settings, so you can see the difference.

Comment

If these Settings are good for Open Street Map submissions, what about same settings for Roadguide.ph submissions?

I personally like logging set viaHeading Variation?
                        Set to 10 Degrees logs a Track point if deviation of 5 Degrees to left or 5 Degrees to the right, ie a 10 Degree Window if travelling straight where no tracks recorded, regardless of speed.

Go around a 45 Degree Bend, at any speed. no matter the distance travelled, and 5 x Track Points should get 'plotted', for nice smooth curves.

I will try some submissions with different settings, so you can see the difference.
                        What part of pokz' post wasn't clear enough?
                        How to get the upgraded map.

It's a sick world and I'm a happy man...

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                          Jan, not sure I follow you?

Pokz post stated that RoadGuide.ph would be happy to consider alternative GPS Tracks, recorded other than just '1 Second Intervals'.

There was discussion of Open Street Maps Forum, regarding such WBT-201 (like I have). set to record in 'Speed Bands', such it would be 1 second intervals for speeds up to 20kph.

In my post, on this Thread "Alternative to 1 Sec Tracks?", I stated - "If one is travelling @ 60kph, that is 1 km per minute, or 16.66m per second.
                          Cut that speed down to 30kph and that is 8.33m per second. 15kph means 4.16m per second".

When describing such WBT-201 configuration, I gave an Example of Speed Mode configuration that I might try for comparison, with say 'Heading' Mode:-
                          Example
                          Condition 2: 2-15kph = 1 Sec, 15-30kph = 2 sec, 30-60kph = 4 sec, 60-120kph = 8 sec Recording Interval

This is better than Open Street Maps were considering for such WBT-201 configuration.

I actually like to use 'Heading Mode' and I gave an example that travelling around a 45 degree bend, when such WBT-201, set to '10 Degrees', should plot 5 x GPS Track points.

When I came back from Azucena, Barili Fiesta the other day, I recorded the journey with my WBT-201 set to 'Heading Mode' of '10 Degrees'.

I attach that GPS Track Log, converted to .GPX format using supplied 'TimeMachineX conversion (from .TK1 to .TK2, to .GPX).

I have now configured my WBT-201 to a 'Heading Mode' of '4 Degrees', to see how much of an improvement that gives.

The accuracy however still comes down to the Signal from detected Satellites, and the Quality/Signal Strength of each Satellite data feed, on that Day/Time/Minute/Second, at that particular location. Repeat that same route, with same configuration settings, on different date/time and one may well get different results.

Only my compiling and averaging GPS Data for given Road/Route, can the most accurate Track Plot be determined, I think?

Anyway I would appreciate some feedback on the attached GPS Track of such journey from Barili -Talisay, Lawa-an 1.

You might like to compare with another GPS Track, recorded on Tabunok - Barili (via Ocana detour) @ 1 second intervals I think, or was it on 4 degree 'Heading' Mode?

OK so they were not 'identical' Journeys, apart from 'direction', since I did a 'detour' via 'Ocana' since we were considering Green Trail Ride #1 via such Detour, before doing the 'Vegetable Highway'

This Map created by uploading the 2 x attached .GPX files into

Whilst the GPS Track is 6Km longer with the 'Ocana' detour, you should notice the GPS Track points is considerably more (2810/60.58Km) for 1 Second Recording (46 points/km or approx every 21.7m), compared to 10 Degree Heading Mode logging (1088/54.38Km) 20 Track Points/km average, since none if travelling virtually straight

See also
                          http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/work...e00icenqdbklcv

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/downloa...10.106.140.gpx

Google MyMaps
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Britster; 05-30-2011, 13:41. Reason: added URL of Maps

Comment

Jan, not sure I follow you?

Pokz post stated that RoadGuide.ph would be happy to consider alternative GPS Tracks, recorded other than just '1 Second Intervals'.

There was discussion of Open Street Maps Forum, regarding such WBT-201 (like I have). set to record in 'Speed Bands', such it would be 1 second intervals for speeds up to 20kph.

In my post, on this Thread "Alternative to 1 Sec Tracks?", I stated - "If one is travelling @ 60kph, that is 1 km per minute, or 16.66m per second.
                            Cut that speed down to 30kph and that is 8.33m per second. 15kph means 4.16m per second".

When describing such WBT-201 configuration, I gave an Example of Speed Mode configuration that I might try for comparison, with say 'Heading' Mode:-
                            Example

This is better than Open Street Maps were considering for such WBT-201 configuration.

I actually like to use 'Heading Mode' and I gave an example that travelling around a 45 degree bend, when such WBT-201, set to '10 Degrees', should plot 5 x GPS Track points.

When I came back from Azucena, Barili Fiesta the other day, I recorded the journey with my WBT-201 set to 'Heading Mode' of '10 Degrees'.

I attach that GPS Track Log, converted to .GPX format using supplied 'TimeMachineX conversion (from .TK1 to .TK2, to .GPX).

I have now configured my WBT-201 to a 'Heading Mode' of '4 Degrees', to see how much of an improvement that gives.

The accuracy however still comes down to the Signal from detected Satellites, and the Quality/Signal Strength of each Satellite data feed, on that Day/Time/Minute/Second, at that particular location. Repeat that same route, with same configuration settings, on different date/time and one may well get different results.

Only my compiling and averaging GPS Data for given Road/Route, can the most accurate Track Plot be determined, I think?

Anyway I would appreciate some feedback on the attached GPS Track of such journey from Barili -Talisay, Lawa-an 1.

You might like to compare with another GPS Track, recorded on Tabunok - Barili (via Ocana detour) @ 1 second intervals I think, or was it on 4 degree 'Heading' Mode?

OK so they were not 'identical' Journeys, apart from 'direction', since I did a 'detour' via 'Ocana' since we were considering Green Trail Ride #1 via such Detour, before doing the 'Vegetable Highway'

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/work...e00icenqdbklcv

Google MyMaps
                            whatever you prefer is good enough for us. you happy, we happy.

by the way, looks like your unit cannot record more often than 1 point per second anyways... look at the tracklogs and check the leglengths, minimum is 1s. nothing shorter than that. so whatever happens, 1s tracks would have the same result. the points that are "in line" so to speak get filtered out anyways by us.

so just to make sure: you happy = we happy
                            How to get the upgraded map.

It's a sick world and I'm a happy man...

Comment

whatever you prefer is good enough for us. you happy, we happy.

by the way, looks like your unit cannot record more often than 1 point per second anyways... look at the tracklogs and check the leglengths, minimum is 1s. nothing shorter than that. so whatever happens, 1s tracks would have the same result. the points that are "in line" so to speak get filtered out anyways by us.

so just to make sure: you happy = we happy
                              You are right Jan, the WBT-201 logging mode is 1Hz as standard.

However I read that the WBT-300 (which uses same Atmel-uBlox ATR 0625 Chipset) User has configure update rate: max:10 Hz (default: 1Hz}.

Some have posted that the WBT-201 can be configured to output NMEA GPS Date >1Hz

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Wintec
                              Good things
                              Update rate up to 4Hz
                              Very good sensitivity (-158dBm)
                              Small and light
                              Charges via standard mini-A USB, power supply and car adapter included
                              Traces can be downloaded with gpsbabel gpsbabel support for the Wintec
                              Works on FreeBSD 7.1
                              Settings can be changed with gtk-g-rays2 under *nix
                              Logging rate can be adjusted by time and/or distance
                              Settings can be changed very versatile
                              Bluetooth can be switched off for power saving
                              Track button can mark a waypoint and start a new track
                              Shareware for PALM OS devices available to change settings and to read out of the tracks
                              Command Line tools in Python available
                              u-center GPS Evaluation Software and u-center mobile for PocketPCs - very detailed settings possible
                              TimeMachineX WinTec's Windows software
                              Omegas software
                              semsons
                              USA
                              398 Posts

Posted - 01 mai 2008 : 22:41:26
                              The utility included by Wintec with WBT-201 can set the frequency to 10Hz. Perhaps, it is like overclocking the CPU so that it will run at higher frequency than the chipset's original spec.
                              a Bluetooth logger (Wintech WBT-201) that can log at 5Hz with some tricks (130.00 points).
                              http://forum.pocketnavigation.de/for...en/page-6.html

[url]http://forum.pocketnavigation.de/forum82-gps-empfaenger/1067202-wbt-201-erste-erfahrungen/page-6.html[url]

It is in German, but got 'Google Translator' to give it to me in English.
                              Rather involved, but apparently 4Hz NMEA output can be done?

I have not tried to do this yet however.

Comment

Working...
                              X