Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What 'Nuvi' is best Value for Money' to use on a Motorcycle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What 'Nuvi' is best Value for Money' to use on a Motorcycle?

To use a GPS on a Motorcycle, it needs to be shock, vibration proof and waterproof.

The Garmin Zumo is designed for this purpose, but comes @ Price Premium.

This is the 'Budget' Zumo:-
    Garmin zumo 220 3.5-Inch Bluetooth Motorcycle GPS Navigator

$382.89

Garmin zumo 660 4.3-Inch Portable GPS Motorcycle Navigator

Down from $799.99 to $639.99

Outside my Budget, considering I have a Wintec WBT-201 Bluetooth GPS Logger that can log GPS Tracks @ 1 sec intevals (or on change of heading + 2 Degrees), and a Nokia N95 8GB that can map that NMEA GPS data over the Bluetooth link. Sports Tracker Application seems to do better than G.MobileXT for logging it on a Map, Live.

So I started looking @ Garmin Nuvi 500 or 550 as this is Waterproof.

A new Garmin Nuvi 550 can be obtained for $200 , as I already posted.

It just needs a handlebar mount.

Price: $9.69

Or would a more expensive 'RAM' mount prove better?

Then I started looking at a Motorcycle / Bike WATERPROOF Handlebar Mount

This is the Mount and the Waterproof holder, in one item, and at lower cost than the Handlebar Mount and a separate Waterproof 'bag'.

So how about putting any of these Garmin Nuvi 200 200W 205 205W 250 250W 255 255W 265WT 500 550 750 755T 760 765T 770 775T 780 785T 850 855 860 880 885T GPS inside that Waterproof Handlebar Mount?

The question is which one?

How about the cheapest to be found on Amazon.com -

Garmin nüvi 255 3.5-Inch Portable GPS Navigator

List Price: $219.99
    Price: $54.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.
    Details
    You Save: $165.00 (75%)
    In stock on May 18, 2011.

So for just $78.46 from Amazon.com, with FREE Shipping to USA Address (My-ShoppingBox.com Account Address in CA)

4lbs weight total x $8.5/lb = $34 to Philippines

So I could have a refurbished, as new, Garmin Nuvi 255, attached to my XT225 motorcycle in a waterproof Handlebar Mount for under Php4,500

Garmin nüvi 265W/265WT 4.3-Inch Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator with Integrated Traffic Receiver (Factory Refurbished)

Price: $79.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details
    You Save: $140.00 (64%)

This Garmin nüvi 265W gives Wide Screen for extra US$20 (Php860)

Any comments, suggestions, or possible problems with such 'proposal(s)'?

David Whittall
    Last edited by Britster; 05-17-2011, 10:21.

do you want/need voice guidance?
    if yes, forget the nuvi 500 - built in speakers only.
    (unless you are willing to open the unit and install a 3.5mm plug in parallel over the speaker)

ram mounts cannot be beat for their purpose.
    How to get the upgraded map.

It's a sick world and I'm a happy man...

Comment

Originally posted by Britster View Post
      To use a GPS on a Motorcycle, it needs to be shock, vibration proof and waterproof.

It just needs a handlebar mount.

Price: $9.69

Or would a more expensive 'RAM' mount prove better?

Then I started looking at a Motorcycle / Bike WATERPROOF Handlebar Mount

This is the Mount and the Waterproof holder, in one item, and at lower cost than the Handlebar Mount and a separate Waterproof 'bag'.

So how about putting any of these Garmin Nuvi 200 200W 205 205W 250 250W 255 255W 265WT 500 550 750 755T 760 765T 770 775T 780 785T 850 855 860 880 885T GPS inside that Waterproof Handlebar Mount?

The question is which one?

Any comments, suggestions, or possible problems with such 'proposal(s)'?

David Whittall

i have these installed in my bicycle for quite some time already when we do cross country biking... its still holding up pretty well.

not a bad idea if and when you decide to purchase the mount with the water proof holder.

Comment

Originally posted by Liv View Post
        i have these installed in my bicycle for quite some time already when we do cross country biking... its still holding up pretty well.

not a bad idea if and when you decide to purchase the mount with the water proof holder.
        Thanks for feedback on using Handlebar Mounted Waterproof Holder

Technical Details
        The mount fits handlebars from .75 to 1.5 inches in diameter.
        The case measures 5.5 x 3.5 x 1.7 internally.
        Product Details
        Shipping Weight: 2 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
        ASIN: B0035TZS14
        Item model number: BR-WATERBIKE

Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #32 in Electronics > Accessories & Supplies > Car Electronics Accessories > GPS System Accessories > Vehicle Mounts
        Date first available at Amazon.com: January 24, 2010

Product Description
        Like to ride in the rain, but your GPS doesn't?
        No problem!
        This waterproof bike combo will keep your GPS dry. The mount fits handlebars from .75 to 1.5 inches in diameter.
        The case measures 5.5 x 3.5 x 1.7 internally.
        This means all 4.3 inch and 3.5 inch GPS units (that's 98% of the GPS market) will fit fine.

The case is zipper shut and maintains a weatherproof seal. The lens permits human touch which means that your touch screen device will work fine when inside the case. Included are a set of foam inserts to help cushion smaller GPS units and get them snug against the film so it doesn't move around. The case and the mount are easily removed. The mount is attached using a heavy duty adjustable thumbscrew attachment.
        This makes buying a Garmin Nuvi that is somewhat waterproof, and will hopefully stand up to shock/vibrations, as viable cost alternative to 3.5" CDR King GPS Navigator that needs Mod to run Garmin MobileXT on WinCE 5.0, in order to view 'Contributors Map'.

Under Php4.5K (cheaper than CDR King 3.5" GPS Navigator, if available?) is very cost effective, and much better solution to buying Waterproof Handlebar Mount for my Nokia N95 8GB that cost me Php24K (ie Rain, Vibration, shock).

Destroying a refurbished Garmin Nuvi 255, costing $55 (Php2,365) , is preferable to putting my Nokia N95 8GB in such waterproof, handlebar mount 'bag', that cost me Php24K - 10 x higher, and it getting damaged!

Dual/Triple Diversity, means, I should still have a working GPS Tracking, if Nuvi 255 or Nokia N95 8GB GPS, or WBT-201 - BlueTooth GPS Logger, should fail.
        Last edited by Britster; 05-17-2011, 21:01.

Comment

I think the nuvi 255 route is the most cost effective, as you have shown. Your other gps devices you can always use as back-up inside your pocket or your bags.

Once the nuvi is hotwired to your MC's battery you're good to go...

Btw, nice to meet you in Cebu...

Comment

Originally posted by Borgie View Post
            I think the nuvi 255 route is the most cost effective, as you have shown. Your other gps devices you can always use as back-up inside your pocket or your bags.

Once the nuvi is hotwired to your MC's battery you're good to go...

Btw, nice to meet you in Cebu...
            Nice to meet you also 'Borgie'.

If anyone is in Cebu, has a Motorcycle and wants to join in our 'Green Trail Rides', where we explore and Map out Tracks and paths, off the main roads, please get in touch with me via 'PM'.

My Garmin Nuvi 255 ($55), Arkon GPS032, waterproof Handlebar mount ($16.18),already shipped by Amazon.com (Free Shipping), to 'USA2Pilipinas.com'. Awaiting AirFreight to Cebu via Manila (estimate costing $26 to ship 3lbs weight).

+

Under $100 Total, so about Php4,300 only for Nuvi 255 in waterproof Handlebar mount on my XT225.

I also added Attwood Marine 12-Volt Power Outlet - to wire into my fused 12V Feed off XT225 Battery.

Together with Powerjolt Dual Universal USB Micro so I can power/charge 2 off at same time - Nuvi 255 / WBT-201 /Nokia N95 8GB

Comment

stupid question: can you power the nuvi in the watertight case?
              How to get the upgraded map.

It's a sick world and I'm a happy man...

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                stupid question: can you power the nuvi in the watertight case?
                Jan,

I would not ever suggest trying such Water 'Resistant' Case under water (as I have seen on You Tube,with Garmin Nuvi 500/550 in a Fish Tank!)

As you can see there is an entry/exit port in this Handlebar Mount 'Case' for the Power / USB Cable(s).

With it being on the bottom, it is unlikely rain will run uphill, along these cables, and get past the rubber seals.

I would not test it in a fish tank with the Garmin Nuvi inside. Put some tissue paper inside, with cable poked through, then submerge it vertically in water. See if the tissues get wet, if you really want to test how good (or bad), it is at being properly 'Waterproof'?

For me, it will most certainly protect it from the Rain, here in the Philippines, far better, than mounting a Garmin Nuvi to just a handlebar mount, and hoping it wont get damaged by the rain.

Better than slipping a Zip-Loc Sandwich Bag over your Garmin Nuvi and hoping the rain don't get in, as it can't be sealed, due to the mount attachment to the Nuvi.
                Last edited by Britster; 06-01-2011, 23:25.

Comment

Interesting read Britster. Thanks for posting your research.

A lot of friends ask me which Garmin is best for motorcycles. I'll point them to this thread.

The Zumo 450 went on sale on Amazon down to $350. I was able to tell a friend to get one before the sale was over.

Thanks again Britster

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyU View Post
                    Interesting read Britster. Thanks for posting your research.

A lot of friends ask me which Garmin is best for motorcycles. I'll point them to this thread.

The Zumo 450 went on sale on Amazon down to $350. I was able to tell a friend to get one before the sale was over.

Thanks again Britster
                    $350 is ood Price for Zumo 450, but that $295 more than I paid for Garmin Nuvi 255 ($54.99)

I did pretty good getting it for $55, as clicking on that same URL link on my confirmed Amzon.com Order for such Garmin Nuvi 255 (Refurbished), that I bought, as it now giving:-

Price: $84.99
                    & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.
                    Details
                    You Save: $135.00 (61%)

$30 (54.55%) increase, over what I paid.

Perhaps too many saw my post and also ordered so supply and demand meant they could increase the price?

A friend of mine ordered a Garmin Nuvi 265W, and the price ($82.99) of that went up to $84.99, so $2 increase not so bad!

However, order that Garmin nüvi 265W/265WT (refurbished), unit now and it gone up another $18!

Price: $100.97
                    Details
                    You Save: $119.02 (54%)

Comment

$350 is ood Price for Zumo 450, but that $295 more than I paid for Garmin Nuvi 255 ($54.99)

I did pretty good getting it for $55, as clicking on that same URL link on my confirmed Amzon.com Order for such Garmin Nuvi 255 (Refurbished), that I bought, as it now giving:-

Price: $84.99
                      Details
                      You Save: $135.00 (61%)

$30 (54.55%) increase, over what I paid.

Perhaps too many saw my post and also ordered so supply and demand meant they could increase the price?

A friend of mine ordered a Garmin Nuvi 265W, and the price ($82.99) of that went up to $84.99, so $2 increase not so bad!

However, order that Garmin nüvi 265W/265WT (refurbished), unit now and it gone up another $18!

Price: $100.97
                      Details
                      You Save: $119.02 (54%)
                      + + + + +

Order Total: $202.13
                      FREE Super Saver Shipping to USA2Pilipinas.com
                      Invoice total (Airfreight/Delivery to my Home in Cebu):$ 39.34

Total is about Php10,432

Update: Before they would send to me in Cebu, via LBC Courier, I had to pay Php2,200 for Customs Duty + VAT (12%)

So Final Total was Php12,655 (incl FAX of BDO Deposit Slip to prove the Php2,300 paid into the accredited Bank Account of the Forwarder - RAF International Fwdg. (Phils) Inc.)

Still cheaper than CDR King GPS Navigator and we have Water-resistant Case with Handlebar Mount for our motorcycles, as well as the suction mount for use in the car.
                      Last edited by Britster; 06-09-2011, 19:22.

Comment

How about the cheapest to be found on Amazon.com -

Garmin nüvi 255 3.5-Inch Portable GPS Navigator

Price: $54.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.
                        Details
                        You Save: $165.00 (75%)
                        In stock on May 18, 2011.
                        On this tip from Britster (thanks for the tip btw), I got me a nuvi 255 refurbish for $54.99 from Amazon as a back-up gps for less than 2.5K . My sister handcarried it the other day from the US.

However, the cradle is about 3/8" bigger and just wouldn't fit . Since it's a refurbish unit and bought in the US, methinks it's not worth the hassle to have it changed. Guess I just have to make do with a CDR King mount unless somebody has a spare cradle for the 255 ...

Comment

Originally posted by Borgie View Post
                          On this tip from Britster (thanks for the tip btw), I got me a nuvi 255

However, the cradle is about 3/8" bigger and just wouldn't fit duh:. Since it's a refurbish unit and bought in the US, methinks it's not worth the hassle to have it changed. Guess I just have to make do with a CDR King mount unless somebody has a spare cradle for the 255 ...
                          Borgie,

I am a bit confused about your Garmin Nuvi 255, that you also bought from Amazon, not being shipped with a 'cradle' that 'fits'?

The 'standard' Nuvi 'cradle' is a plastic clip that fits over the back of the Nuvi, and engages in a slot in the bottom, then 'snaps' into place at the top (that is narrower!).

Since I also bought a Nuvi 265W at the same time, which is same height, but 'wider' (hence the 'W'), I can confirm that the same 'cradle' snap clip, is used.

So Borgie, this is why I am confused as to your saying "the cradle is about 3/8" bigger and just wouldn't fit duh:"
                          Unless, you were trying to fit the cradle clip on upside down - duh!,
                          i.e. you had the wider bit at the top instead of the bottom?

Sorry Borgie, but that is too obvious - right? If you were supplied with that same standard 'clip', it should fit any Garmin Nuvi - even the 'W' versions? (provided it is the correct way up with the wider bit at the bottom)

This Thread pertained, to use of these cheaper Nuvi units on a motorcycle.

I would not trust using that standard cradle clip, with its 'ball socket' mount on the back, to attach directly to the 'ball' on the handlebar mount, that I also bought. I place my Nuvi 255 in the zipped hard case that offers protection from the rain and attaches to the handle mount 'ball' via locking screw coller.

I do use the standard cradle clip (with narrow bit @ top) to attach to the supplied suction cup base, for mounting on my PC desk. I also use the supplied, adhesive backed, plastic 'disk' on the dashboard of my car (with 2 x additional double-sided foam tape strips, not supplied, as my dash is curved, not flat, where I wanted with easy reach, as well as easy viewing).

What I discovered using a Garmin Nuvi on a Motorcycle here in the Philippines, is that the sunlight, shining on the screen makes it difficult to read. Tad inconvenient having to find the shade of a building or a tree, just so you can easily see the screen and work our where you are and where you should be going.

The answer is to create a 'Visor' to shade the Nuvi screen.

Most of the ones available commercially are i) relatively expensive for what they are, ii) not large enough to provide enough shade, iii) not designed for use with water resistant case.

I experimented with simple Visor (using plastic stationary 'folders') that slips under the attachment fixture on the back of the handlebar mounted 'case', to a styro foam insulated box (to add some rigidity as well as thermal insulation from the sun), sealed with silicone rubber. I am now thinking I might not need that water resistant case that adds a lot of 'size' to the visor box? What I would need however is a better mount to attach the Nuvi to the handlebar mounted 'ball'.

This is a 'RAM' mount and obviously one needs a different RAM Mount for a Nuvi 'W' model as it wider.

There are 2 x screw holes on the back, to which a RAM ball mount 'diamond' attachment plate bolts (to which I would add drops of 'locktite' as added precaution against vibrating loose).

The RAM mount double socket arm, clamps the ball mounts, ecurely at each end.

With such arrangement, I would make a custom fit, clear, soft plastic. wallet, with a 'bag heat-sealer' to keep rain from the Nuvi, then fit the RAM Mount, with a custom made 'Visor' box attached that further adds protection from the suns heat with polystyrene insulation, and waterproof plastic folder 'shell', sealed with silcone rubber, to keep the rain off also.

This will be smaller than the Visor 'box', holding the water-resistant case, I am currently using''
                          Last edited by Britster; 07-22-2011, 12:35.

Comment

Borgie,
                            This will be smaller than the Visor 'box', holding the water-resistant case, I am currently using''
                            Here is the 'Visor Box', that I made, for 'shading' my Garmin Nuvi in its Water-resistant Case.

I decided to use a USB Cable (angled USB-Mini B) rather than the Garmin 12V Charger cable as the USB is lot smaller, and can use to connect to PC for RoadGuide.ph Map upgrades via MapSource and Downloads of Tracks from the Garmin Nuvi. The other 'cable' is for 'Security' to attach via 'loop' to bike, in case the handlebar mount attachment was to break (as someone reported on Amazon - but they probably over tightened perhaps)?

This is the Handlebar Mount that the case socket/locking ring, attaches to:-

This is the 'Marine' waterproof 12V Power outlet, that I also bought from Amazon.com, fitted to my XT225:-

Last edited by Britster; 07-22-2011, 13:04.

Comment

Here is a further suggestion for those considering a reasonable priced (ie refurbished) Garmin Nuvi, for use on a Motorcycle.

Garmin Nuvi 255 Refurbished from $55 from Amazon.com
                              (seems such bargain basement prices no longer available anymore!
                              7 new from $169.99
                              10 used from $52.92
                              Only 5 left in stock - order soon.

Garmin Nuvi 265WT Refurbished from $88 from Amazon.com
                              Again it looks like Refurbished Nuvi 265W or 265WT are becoming scarce or simply not available, from Amazon.com at least!

Buy new: List Price = $219.99, Amazon.com Price = $136.00
                              29 new
                              33 used from $82.99

Garmin Nuvi 1490 Refurbished from $119 from Amazon.com
                              Again such Refurbished Nuvi 1490 no longer available at such bargain price for a 5" Display, with MultiRouting, and 1 Second Tracking in .bin or .gpx format, that one can select to store on SD Card.

Buy new: List Price = $279.99, Amazon.com Price = $153.01
                              78 new
                              12 used from $114.99

Whilst I was happy to buy Factory Refurbished Units at $100 saving, yet came with Full 12 Month Warranty from Garmin, and Free update to the installed Map, I doubt if I would risk buying a 'Used' Unit to save money however?

So you have a Garmin Nuvi for your Motorcycle, and you have a Mount to attach it to the Motorcycle (Handlebars or RAM Mount also for Mirror Mount, replacement handlebar clamp attachment screw etc).

You have some method to keep the Rain out?

I suggest, here in the Philippines, you also need a 'Visor' to keep the Sun off the screen, or you have to park under a tree, to navigate!

I discovered a problem in Powering such Garmin Nuvi since the standard Battery wont last much more than about 3 Hours depending on Screen Brightness and Alert/Navigation Volume etc

I got around this problem by fitting a waterproof 12V Power Outlet Socket, to my Motorcycle, and wired to the Motorcycle battery via a Fuse.

You have 2 options of what to plug in to such Socket to Power the Nuvi:-
                              i) the 12VDC Power Adapter supplied,
                              ii) USB Power Adaptor and the USB to Mini

1) Such 12V DC power via the supplied Adapter, can become loose from Bump/Shock, if Riding Off-Road and loose electrical connection

You do however get a WARNING, that it now on 'Battery' and you can select a) to Stay on Battery , or b) Turn Off, it counts down from 29 Seconds, before Turning Unit off. If you push the Power Adapter home so it once again making good electrical contact once more, before the Countdown reaches Zero, no problem and Tracking continues.

The slight disadvantage being, one cant use that Power Outlet for anything else at the same time.

2) I bought that very neat 'Dual USB' Power Adapter, but had a problem picking up the center pin of my waterproof 12V DC Power Socket. I got around that problem by extending the Center Pin of that 'Dual USB' Power adapter, with tight fitting brass cap from a 'propelling pencil' 'push button!

Having got it to deliver Power to the USB, and used a USB Cable to USB Mini 'B' (preferably with a 90 Degree bend to plug into Garmin rear Port, or an Adapter so standard cable wont protrude too far (for Water Resistant Handlebar Mount Case)

I discovered a much BIGGER Problem that over rides the advantage of having 2nd USB Socket, for powering some other Device (Bluetooth GPS Logger or Cell Phone for example)!

This being if it loses electrical connection from Bump or Shock, the Garmin Nuvi reboots, goes into PC Connect Mode, sees no PC, then 30 Seconds Later, Boots up Normally!

In the meantime you lost recording of the GPS Track, you lost visibility of where you are and where you might have to Turn while it reboots and you make sure to start logging the GPS Track once more. You have a 'gap' with no GPS data.

I think I have found a nice' high tech solution, for providing a 'Visor' to keep the strong sunshine off the screen, whilst keeping the Garmin Nuvi powered up all the time and does so for more than double the length of time, than running on 'Nuvi Battery'.

This being the use of a SBC-10 '2000mA Solar battery Charger' from CDR King (Php580), containing a 3.8V Lithium Cell.

It can be charging the Lithium Cell, whilst connected to the Garmin Nuvi, so the drain on the internal Nuvi Cell is minimized so it lasts longer. If you disconnect (or bump/vibration causes such) from a USB 5V Power Adapter, the Internal Lithium Battery and/or the Solar Cells keep the Garmin Nuvi from shutting sown and rebooting.

The SBC-10 from CDR King, has a length, that is the same Width as a Garmin Nuvi 255, so (suitably mounted) it can act as a 'Sun VIsor' that generates Power and has a reserve 2000mA of Lithium Battery Power, giving extended UPS capability, and off-bike Power.

Still working on how to attach and form the Visor (use with sleeve bag idea - for water and dust resistance), and secure Fixing to the Motorcycle using RAM Mount
                              Last edited by Britster; 10-08-2011, 03:07.

Comment

Working...
                              X