Anti-Distracted Driving Act

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anti-Distracted Driving Act

I've read on FB that even suction cup mounts are not allowed on the dash? Where should we put our GPS?
    And what about dash cams?

Here's a quote from a post on FB by Vi To (exactly my thoughts)

"I noticed that most Uber/Grab drivers have their mounts placed either at the middle top of their dash or at the windshield itself. I've read from some comments from other posts that the rationale is because it's easier for them to glance (more like glancing at the rear-view or side mirror) at the device rather than looking down to where the device is placed (effectively taking your eyes off the road)."

"So this "device does not interfere with the line of sight of the driver" means they'd have to put those mounts below their line of sight."

Here's the link (https://www.facebook.com/james.deaki...%3A%22R9%22%7D)
    Last edited by akit; 05-16-2017, 12:25.

You know, the problem is that there is a LAW but no Implementing Rules and Regulations (IRR).
    So it makes everything grey!

It is better to google and read newspaper articles than relying on FB, even Jame's post is full of "Jokes".

Anyway from what I understand though, and this is just my opinion, because there is really no way to know until they really issue an IRR....

1. You cannot hold your phone while you are driving!
    Which means if they see you holding your phone, it is already basically a violation.
    Using speaker phone function is fine, but if you use it while holding your phone, it is still a violation.
    Which means dialing, scrolling, typing, etc. will already be violations.

2. Stoplight or Stop and Go Traffic:

Used to be, we can say that we are stopped anyway so it is okay to text or to dial using your phone as it is safe.
    This new law, apparently says that it is not so. The only way you can text or dial is if you park your car.

3. Suction cup mounts

They do mention line of sight, and I agree that even before this law was signed, it is really just dangerous to mount your GPS or mobile phone right in front of you.
    I myself mount my GPS, usually to the lower left of the windshield when I am driving.

Dashcams, we found a nice place in front of the rear view mirror, you almost don't notice that it is there!

Now the problem with us RG members, is now it will be illegal for us to be touching our suction mounted GPS to enter a Waypoint!

My two cents.

TTFN
    Arvin

Comment

I was mistaken!
      I was able to talk to someone who is in charge for legal requirements from a Top Car maker in the country.

1. There is an IRR issued May 3, 2017 in The Philippine Star. Problem is, there is no digital copy going around and the Star website might not have posted it in their online news.. maybe. If anyone has a digital copy of the IRR please share.

2. Also I was mistaken, it seems like suction cup mounts is a bit of a grey area, but leaning towards the side of "Not allowed". Because of the word "Line of sight" and apparently the definition of "line of sight" is the whole windshield, except those that serves a purpose, like the rear view mirror.

So in short, you can argue about the definition of line of sight, but you will probably lose, because the IRR is vague about it.

3. GPS PND are considered a mobile communications device, and as such, you better not be seen fiddling with it while driving, so better ask person riding "shotgun" to type in the Waypoint for you

4. Because you can't see the front of the rear view mirror, you can mount your Dashcam there.

5. If you are looking for a good place to mount your mobile phone, best to locate them below the level of the dash board!

Time will tell if the officers will actually enforce this law or not. The fine is huge so they probably will or at least will jump at the opportunity to apprehend you if given the chance.

In summary:
      a. Do not mount your mobile phone above the Dash (within line of sight).
      b. Do not hold your mobile phone while driving, even if you are not actually using it, do not hold it at all as it will automatically be considered "distracted driving" by officers.
      c. Use Speaker phone or other devices for hands free calling.
      d. If you need to enter something, text, dial, etc. move to the side of the road and park properly before doing so.

We need to watch out, they might start controlling the Window Tint darkness, as officers cannot easily see inside vehicles to apprehend.

TTFN
      Arvin

Comment

Link from DOTr facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/depar...?fref=mentions

Item #6
        6. Can we still use traffic and navigational apps like Waze and Google Maps while driving?

Yes. Although motorists are being advised to set their preferred destination on these applications prior to their departure. Gadgets with these applications may be installed in areas shown in the picture below, or other areas that will not obstruct the driver’s view. In cases when motorists need to find alternate routes while in traffic, they are advised to first pull their vehicles aside.

HTH

Comment

http://www.topgear.com.ph/news/motor...e_featured_big

Comment

It would be more dangerous to look down to GPS under your dash.
            The law should define some exceptions.

Comment

anti.jpg
              Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
              - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Originally posted by hbt View Post
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]43332[/ATTACH]
                So it begins... Which method is accepted or not depends on who's interpreting what...

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

And so the confusion grows!

The problem kasi is that they did not really do much to prepare for this, and probably no consultation at all!

The biggest argument is, it is more dangerous if you have to look down or to the side.

I have been using my PNDs on suction cup mounts for years. Mounted on the lower left side of the windshield, it never posed any obstruction. Some cars now have really huge A pillars, which are way more obstructive.

Hehehe, now, I wonder, if you just put your suction cup mount on the windshield, but no device on it. If they flag you down for violation of distracted driver law, you say, it isn't... because there is actually no Device mounted on it!

So bottomline though, because of this bruhaha! I will not mount my PND on the windscreen for now, until they actually (hopefully) clarify things.

TTFN
                  Arvin

Comment

From DOTr

6. What are the acceptable areas where cellphones should be mounted?
                    GPS or cellphones may be placed or mounted below or at the same level of the dashboard but NOT above the dashboard, provided that the device will not be higher than the highest point of the dashboard.
                    7. Can we still use traffic and navigational apps like Waze and Google Maps while driving?
                    Yes. Although motorists are being advised to set their preferred destination on these applications prior to their departure. Gadgets with these applications may be installed in areas that will not obstruct the driver’s view. In cases when motorists need to find alternate routes while in traffic, they are advised to first pull their vehicles aside.

Comment

Working...
                    X