How to install the RG Map into Basecamp in OSX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to install the RG Map into Basecamp in OSX

Good news for Mac users, you can now use your Mac with Basecamp for RoadGuide.

*****IMPORTANT*****
    The Admins have been clear about this for some time now, if you convert RG map for Mac, you are not allowed to post or distribute the converted map to the public. The reason is that when you install the map in Windows, you are asked to accept an End Users License Agreement (EULA) and in a stretch you can convert to Mac and use it with the same EULA, if you distribute it, the others won't be accepting the EULA and that is not acceptable to RG. So you have been WARNED, do not post or distribute RG maps converted for Mac, each Mac user, should convert your own map.
    *If you can suggest a way for Mac Users to accept a EULA of the converted maps, please post here or PM an admin.

Let's Start!

You will still need a Windows Machine/PC to succeed, Don't bitch, there is no way out of this, even Garmin has not yet figured out a way around it!

On your Windows PC:
    a. Install Basecamp for Windows (if you have mapsource working already the no need basecamp).
    b. Install RoadGuide maps you want to convert (contributor's map, demo map, freemap, whatever)
    c. Make sure you put the unlock codes of locked maps (ie Contributor's map, and Demo map)
    d. Download and install Garmin Mapconverter for Windows (just google it).

On your Mac OsX Machine
    a. Download and Install Basecamp for Mac (you can use App Store)
    b. Download and install Garmin Mapinstall/Mapmanager for Mac (Not in Appstore, so google "Garmin Mapinstall Mac").

Conversion How to is in the next post:
    Last edited by arvin555; 07-19-2014, 13:08.

So next step is to first convert the map or maps you have in the Windows machine with the Mapconverter.
    In your Windows Machine
    1. Launch Mapconverter.
    2. No need to check for new updates, so just click skip if asked.
    3. The mapconverter should then display all the maps installed and available for Conversion. (Remember to unlock them first).
    4. Choose a Map to convert, then choose a folder to save the converted map in.
    5. After the conversion, after you close the program usually the folder where you saved the file will automatically be opened. The file will be .GMAPI file name.

Next steps is to transfer the MAP to MAC:

6. Copy the .GMAPI file name into a USB or you can email it to yourself or use cloud or what not, to send it to your MAC.
    7. Once .GMAPI file is in your Mac, and if you already installed Mapmanager, you only need to click/double click on the .gmapi file, and the map manager will automatically be launched.
    8. You will be informed what map is in the gmapi file and that it will be installed.
    9. Once done, you just close the mapmanager and launch Basecamp. The new map will be there, in MAP drop down menu.
    10. Note that both the Map and Unlock codes will be transferred with gmapi. However you can add additional unlock codes on basecamp at this point in time.

*I was successful in installing the freemapV2 into my brother's computer, and I installed the Contributor's map to his computer together with my Unlock codes, we will just add his unlock code later at a later time, when we try to actually transfer map to his GPS device.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by arvin555; 07-14-2014, 16:15.

Comment

How is it doing now? Successful? Can you post screenshots? How big is the file of the gar in map installer?

Comment

Kuya JS,

As of now I have just finished the Windows portion, and it looks ok, I have a .mapi file already. But I just downloaded the freemapV2.0 because I just realized the freemap in my PC is still the old 1.07. So I am installing freemapV2.0 and convert it as well.

Hopefully will be finished by next week, coz I don't have my brother's Mac with me.

TTFN
        Arvin

Comment

Sorry I am unable to advise, as I too am a pc only guy, even the tablet and half my mobile system is alien to me

So thank you for persevering with this.

John

Comment

I am happy to report that the transfer was a success, I have uploaded the additional steps already in second post in this topic!

I will post a PDF file to show "how to" with screenshots later.

TTFN
            Arvin

Comment

I would suggest that moderator make this and the earlier set up for pc into sticky of this listing please??

Comment

Thank you arvin..

Comment

Successfully installed in my Mac- now i'm beginning to like the basecamp... quite fast sending my favourites to my Nuvi... however sending map to my 60 csx (using map installer for Mac) takes forever..... so i used my windows machine using the trusted old mapsource version

Comment

Finally my map is in my basecamp (Mac) thanks Arvin
                    *** Ohhh it's the one and only SioKoy!!! ***

Comment

Thank you Arvin for this useful info. The RG Map was successfully installed to the Basecamp in my Mac. I went through the various threads re uploading waypoints or POIs but they are all based in Mapsource. How do I contribute using Basecamp? Thanks again Arvin. And thank you guys for this community, a community of volunteers and contributors. The real essence of BALIKATAN!

Comment

If you read this post

http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthrea...amp-User-Guide

Wait for the pictures to load, it gives the basic instructions on using Basecamp, and how to submit your data.

Patience is a virtue.

John

Comment

Constable,

Unfortunately I am not an expert of using Basecamp, I am still old school and still stuck with mapsource just coz I am so used to it... i am also still using WinXP as my OS hehehehe!

I would like to refer you to John's post above, which has a link on his How to thread for basecamp.

The standards for waypoints and tracks, etc. remains the same, so you just need to learn how to download the data from your GPS to Basecamp, and how to edit using basecamp then saving to a gdb file then upload in RG.

TTFN
                          Arvin

Comment

Want to dowload map of philippines

Want to download map of Philippines on a mico card in my Window8 for myNuvi 550. Any suggestions and is there a map for that? I am frankg408@comcast.net.

Originally posted by arvin555 View Post
                            Good news for Mac users, you can now use your Mac with Basecamp for RoadGuide.

*****IMPORTANT*****
                            The Admins have been clear about this for some time now, if you convert RG map for Mac, you are not allowed to post or distribute the converted map to the public. The reason is that when you install the map in Windows, you are asked to accept an End Users License Agreement (EULA) and in a stretch you can convert to Mac and use it with the same EULA, if you distribute it, the others won't be accepting the EULA and that is not acceptable to RG. So you have been WARNED, do not post or distribute RG maps converted for Mac, each Mac user, should convert your own map.
                            *If you can suggest a way for Mac Users to accept a EULA of the converted maps, please post here or PM an admin.

Let's Start!

You will still need a Windows Machine/PC to succeed, Don't bitch, there is no way out of this, even Garmin has not yet figured out a way around it!

On your Windows PC:
                            a. Install Basecamp for Windows (if you have mapsource working already the no need basecamp).
                            b. Install RoadGuide maps you want to convert (contributor's map, demo map, freemap, whatever)
                            c. Make sure you put the unlock codes of locked maps (ie Contributor's map, and Demo map)
                            d. Download and install Garmin Mapconverter for Windows (just google it).

On your Mac OsX Machine
                            a. Download and Install Basecamp for Mac (you can use App Store)
                            b. Download and install Garmin Mapinstall/Mapmanager for Mac (Not in Appstore, so google "Garmin Mapinstall Mac").

Conversion How to is in the next post:

Comment

Working...
                            X