rg map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rg map

Can someone help me to decide if its a good decision to switch to city navigator?

Im currently using the rg contributors map but planning to
    switch to latest city navigator from garmin so i will be able to use the junction view/lane assist.(my only reason why i want to switch to city navigator)

Which is better in terms of...
    1.poi search
    2.routing
    3.detailed map

Sorry wrong title. It should be rg map or garmin city navigator

Comment

I would suggest that RG Philippines is best for all of your requirements, I read somewhere that out of about 4 different systems, RG came out the most comprehensive and accurate.

John

Comment

This is of course my opinion and take with with a pinch of salt.

RG is still the best in terms of coverage and routing which means POI search, Routing and Map details, RG will be better compared to City Navigator map. How much different, dunno, but I'm willing to bet money RG will come on top if there was an independent test.

JV and Lane Assist are nice, but would you trade that for the above three factors?

You want another factor? Where else can you get regular free updates?

One suggestion, why not use both, you're a contributor already anyway, so just pay for a City Navigator map, and use one or the other, try it out. Heck use the Commercial map as default, then if you have problems already or got lost already, then switch to RG It should be easy to change. But don't turn both maps on at the same time.

Lastly, if you do the above suggestion, please don't forget to keep contributing to RG

TTFN
        Arvin

Comment

Actually,the lane assist would be a great help for me because even im using gps right now, i always get the wrong direction(dont know how to explain)

But of course i dont want to sacrifice the advantages of rg map.

Honestly after i changed my garmin gps (from nuvi 1300 to nuvi 2555lmt) i havent contributed anything yet because my nuvi 2555 dont show poi on screen.so i dont have any idea if its already there unlike with my old gps that shows all poi so i can easily distinguish if i should save it or not.

Comment

I too would love lane assistance and also the POI appearing on the screen, this can be done, but only on Singapore sourced Garmin GPS, and the SG units to tend to be a lot more expensive than those from Amazon, maybe one day Garmin will sell the units with what we want, not what they think we need.

It seems they write the software, but do not actually use it themselves ??

And at the moment RG does not supply lane assistance with its maps, but maybe more developed and comprehensive voice command could be used??

John

Comment

Sus naman Kuya Tribal, if the RG map is telling you to go left instead of right, then it's a routing correction, which should be contributed. You just take note where it happened, what is wrong, and you just plot it on Mapsource and say this is right and this is wrong.

With regards to contributing WPs using non Singaporean firmware (I actually have a Singaporean firmware unit), just keep an eye out for new establishments along your routes, and more often forgotten are the establishments that has closed (say a shop you know how transferred), etc. When I started RG kuya, I became more aware of what is happening along my route

If I am not mistaken, ALL of our units will actually show POI if you tap the screen for Map view. I do this all the time too, even with my Singaporian firmware. I do sometimes still end up saving a WP that is already there, I just shrug and go to the next WP.

Oh, back on topic, actually Lane assist only helps you by showing which lane you should be in or which lane to take in preparation for a turn. But isn't it typical that if the route is showing that you will be taking a Right turn, that you should already be keeping right and vice versa? It is the visual equivalent of saying keep left or keep right or go straight right?

I have used my GPS in Singapore with all bells and whistles, believe me, I did not even notice the Lane Assist!

TTFN
              Arvin
              Last edited by arvin555; 05-31-2014, 15:18.

Comment

I mean the direction was correct.im not sure if its only me who has a problem.example in edsa,im not sure if i should take the overpass or the small road on the side because i can only see 1 straight line on my screen.

Comment

If you were using the route guidance, then it should inform you to either bear left or right depending which lane you needed. If it fails, then you can submit that for correction on the forum, and this will be corrected.

John

Comment

Kuya Tribal,

Where exactly in Edsa? Because if it's flyover, then voice guidance should say take flyover or should not go up flyover it should say keep left on flyover. I'm almost sure there is a contribution here somewhere for you.

Take note that even with city navigator there is a chance that they might put lane assist on that area, maybe Junction View though. But the primary info should still be from Voice Guidance coz you really shouldn't be looking at your GPS too long anyway while driving right? As I said I don't even usually notice the LA icons while driving.

TTFN
                    Arvin

Comment

Working...
                    X