Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie - Updating Map for Garmin Mobile XT (In-Car System)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie - Updating Map for Garmin Mobile XT (In-Car System)

Hello!

First off, I'd like to thank the people in the forum for the info posted here - very helpful.

I just need help with downloading maps for Garmin Mobile XT. I'm not using my phone. I'm using an in-car system so I don't know how to update the map. Is there anyone who can help?

Thanks in advance!

I assume you have Garmin XT working on your AVN already?
    That you just want to have the RG map in your AVN?

1st- as you are still a junior member, you can only download the RG freemap here:
    https://roadguide.ph/forums/showthre...e-standard-map

2nd You will need to read the FAQ "How to pages" here:
    https://roadguide.ph/forums/showthre...ot-for-Newbies

3rd as you will only get version 2.0 it is not the latest map, so you will need to continue to read the FAQ in order to learn how to become a contributor, so that you will can then use the latest Contributor's map.

Hope this helps.
    TTFN
    Arvin

Comment

In a nutshell, here are the basic stuff that you'll need:

1. Laptop/PC with BaseCamp
      2. The RG.ph map installed in BaseCamp
      3. The method by which maps can be installed on the HU (usually through an SD card slot or a USB port)

CAUTION: Be forewarned that I will not be responsible if you brick your HU. If you think that something is off, stop what you're doing and report back to this forum. I'm offering these instructions in good faith. If you choose to follow them, you are responsible for whatever the outcome. Read through the Garmin XT thread if you haven't done so.

SD card:
      Note: To be safe, turn off the HU whenever you remove or insert the SD card

1. Insert the SD card into your computer then run BaseCamp
      2. Right-click on the SD card listed under Devices.
      3. Select Install Maps on... then click Continue
      4. Select/Highlight the whole PH map then click Continue and follow the prompts
      5. Right-click again on the SD card listed under devices and select eject
      6. Insert SD card into the HU and power up the HU. GarminXT should be able to pick it up

USB port:
      Note: The HU needs to be powered up throughout this exercise. Upon plugging in the USB cable, the GarminXT may ask whether you want it to talk to the laptop in Garmin mode or as a USB storage device. Preferably, you should choose the former.

1. Use an appropriate USB cable to connect a laptop to your HU
      2. In most likelihood, the laptop will see the HU as a mass storage device (and hence, assigned a drive letter) or a GPS device (when you selected Garmin mode)
      3. Run BaseCamp and right-click on the drive letter (or GPS device) presented in the previous step
      4. Follow steps 3 and 4 in the SD Card setup
      5. Right-click on the drive letter or GPS device assigned to the HU and hit eject (if applicable)
      6. Remove the cable
      Last edited by oj88; 05-28-2014, 18:23.
      There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Working...
      X