Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Viliv S5

I just ordered online one of this:

Probably the best UMPC/MID currently available. It is made in Korea and sells like hotcake. I am fortunate enough to find a source in HK that sells it plus car stand, car charger and leather case. It's on its way from HK and slated to arrive on Thursday via FedEx.

I'm planning to install Garmin Mobile PC and make it my primary navigation device (I may have to sell my Nuvi 360 now. Watch out for it in the appropriate thread).

More info here: http://www.dynamism.com/#Product=viliv

Nice, nice, very very nice. We're you able to get it in HK same price as quoted in posted link? Is this available here already?

Thanks for sharing amf...

Comment

Ooohh... geeky. Thanks for sharing.
      There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Sorry for the late posting. I just got home and started tinkering with my new toy only a few hours ago! I picked it up from FedEx last Wednesday afternoon as I was getting too excited.

Borgie: Not exactly the same price but I haven't paid for it yet. It's not available here. I think I'm the first one (or one of the few) here in PI who have this "Toy".

I have already installed Garmin Mobile PC and was able to get a quick sat fix!

I'll update this thread when I get to install the Phil map. Thanks!

amf

Comment

Here are a few snaps of my new toy!

Size compared with my iPhone and BB 8900:

Comment

It comes with Windows XP Home SP3:

The car stand is Made in Germany:

With Garmin Mobile PC:

Comment

With our map installed:

From a cold start, satellite lock is under 3 minutes and warm start under one. I have yet to find a way to have this neatly installed in my daily-driver. This toy rocks! And definitely a keeper!

Thanks!

amf

Comment

Very very nice indeed. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Nice!

It looks awsome for sure, and there is more exiting stuff coming...
                    ....dribling

http://www.myviliv.com/eng/product/s5.asp

http://www.myviliv.com/eng/product/x70atom.asp, 7" screen

and..
                    http://www.myviliv.com/eng/product/navi.asp

Looking forward to see the spec's of this sooon to come gear from myviliv!
                    Last edited by jonatle; 06-13-2009, 12:42.
                    Questions? Check Out The: "HOW TO"

Comment

The X7 is already available in Korea. It has an SD card slot, HSDPA plus the usual GPS and wifi. At 7 inch, it's quite big already compared to the S5 and no longer "Pocketable". A netbook with a real keyboard would be more practical I think. The SRP price though is the same as my Vilivi S5 Premium-- not bad if you can get one at that price though.

The S5 can no longer be found at ebay and dynamism.com (US distributor) has it tentatively for a 10 July availability. I guess it's really selling like hotcake!

On a side note, the S5 acquires sat fix in less than 10 seconds with my external re-rad antenna and in about 20 without it. The GMPC in a 4.8 in. screen is really lovely to look at and you can assign GPS coordinates to your contacts.
                      Last edited by amf; 06-14-2009, 21:50.

Comment

Originally posted by amf View Post
                        On a side note, the S5 acquires sat fix in less than 10 seconds with my external re-rad antenna and in about 20 without it. The GMPC in a 4.8 in. screen is really lovely to look at and you can assign GPS coordinates to your contacts.
                        That's fast! This is for a hot start? I've tried GMPC in my laptop paired with a 10x and sat fix is fast as well. GMPC's track setting is also same as XT's. Wonder how GMPC's "most often" setting w/ a re-rad antenna compares with the 1 sec. tracks of Nuvi's. Wonder also if NRoute detects the internal GPS. If it can, you can do 1 sec tracking with the S5 ...

If GPS coordinates are assigned to contacts, those contact names pop-up when you pass by their locations...

Comment

Originally posted by Borgie View Post
                          That's fast! This is for a hot start? I've tried GMPC in my laptop paired with a 10x and sat fix is fast as well. GMPC's track setting is also same as XT's. Wonder how GMPC's "most often" setting w/ a re-rad antenna compares with the 1 sec. tracks of Nuvi's. Wonder also if NRoute detects the internal GPS. If it can, you can do 1 sec tracking with the S5 ...

If GPS coordinates are assigned to contacts, those contact names pop-up when you pass by their locations...
                          Borgie, I've tried the GMPC with the 10x as well and it's very nice. Actually I think it was better than my nuvi
                          More digresions; do you know how to extract the track log from GMPC?
                          And can't get 10x (bluetooth) working with nRoute though.
                          All the best!

Comment

Originally posted by Borgie View Post

That's with a freshly booted Windows, outdoors, stationary and the antenna on the car's roof.

The tracks recorded with GMPC (most often setting) is a bit rough and comparable to those recorded with an iPhone. The best track recording from a non-dedicated GPS device I've tried is my BB 8900. At 1 second interval, Jan commented that it is as good or even better than those recorded with Garmin handhelds.

I'll try assigning coordinates to my contacts and see how it goes. Thanks!

GMPC track log (current and active) is located at c:\doc and settings\"username"\application data\garmin\garminmobilePC\gpx. The file name is current.gpx. It contains recorded tracks, routes and WPs. Open it with Mapsource and you can save them individually.

Comment

GMPC track log

AMF Wrote [/QUOTE]GMPC track log (current and active) is located at c:\doc and settings\"username"\application data\garmin\garminmobilePC\gpx. The file name is current.gpx. It contains recorded tracks, routes and WPs. Open it with Mapsource and you can save them individually.[/QUOTE]

Thanks AMF for the pointer, as I'm using Windows 7 RC the path was somewhat different. I found it here: C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\GARMIN\GarminMobileP C\gpx

Regarding the accuracy of the GMPC tracks, it's right that it's a bit rougher than 1s tracks of handhelds like my Colerado 400t. I've attached here a file with three (3) tracks; 1s Colerado 400t, GMPC_Normal and GMPC_Most often. Some parts of the 3 tracks are overlapping and you can clearly see the difference. (this is part of tracks I'm currently working on, a lot of "new" roads in this area)

Maybe someone nows a way to tweak GMPC to record 1s tracks?
                              A question, does "wrap" (track log setting when full) means that the tracklog are auto archived when full and starting on a new file (like in my Colerado 400t) or does it just overwright the same file? If it autoarchive it and if we could get it to record 1s track it would have been a very nice tool together with eg. the Vilive S5

Comment

Working...
                              X