Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Viliv S5

Hi,

I think this is my first time to post here. Anyway, i also have Viliv S5 Air 32GB SSD version, got it almost 2 months ago from eBay and shipped via FedEx. Long-time eBay user.

Here are the specs for those curious:

* Processor: 1.33GHZ Intel Atom Z520, 512KB L2 Cache

* RAM: 1GHZ 533 MHz DDR2

* Storage: 32GB SolidState Disk (upgradeable to 128GB)

* Dimensions: 6.00" x 3.30" x 0.96"

* Weight: 395 gm / 13.9 oz

* Screen: 4.8" diagonal, 1024 x 600 resolution (1024 x 768 capable)

* Graphics: Intel GMA500 (OpenGL 2.0 & DirectX 10 capable BUT currently can't be used because of driver unavailability for Windows 7..this is a common issue/rant among GMA500 graphics card owners for other devices too. Google it for more info. However, i already tried an alternative driver (Tungsten driver for Intel EMbedded Graphics) to enable OpenGL but in WinXP only, it works, i was able to run games/apps requiring OpenGL/3D acceleration).

* Wireless: Wifi G, 3G/HSDPA (Huawei Mobile EM770, currently the fastest data card compatible with Windows 7 http://www.huawei.com/mobileweb/en/n...&cid=61&type=0)

* Radio/Cellular: Huawei EM770 is also capable of sending/receiving SMS messages and also making voice calls, already tried and it works. Headphone jack actually has a built-in mic port, just use a headset with a TRS connector/jack http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS_connector or an iPhone headset for familiarity of what it looks like. http://vilivboys.wordpress.com/2009/...ls-microphone/)

* OS: Windows XP Home, but i'm now using Windows 7 RTM with Pen and Touch Input and Aero enabled, still runs snappy! *teehee!*
    Windows 7 driver updates for Viliv S5 are already available on the site: www.myviliv.com >> support >> downloads section

* Input: Resistive touchscreen, which means it's pressure sensitive, unlike the iPhone screens, advantage? PRECISION. It's the original touchscreen mode for n00bs and complainers out there. You can use ANYTHING to interact with the screen, unlike with capacitive screens that only responds to human fingers. LOL. I have my thumb nails lengthened a bit to serve as my stylus. Works great.

* Video: Capable of 1080/720 playback (HD Movies) Ofcourse it will depend on the codecs you use. Use COREAVC and K-Lite Mega Codec Pack

* Audio: Stereo. Has 2 speakers in front and it's Loud. Louder than that of Viliv EX70's.

* GPS: SirF Star III GPS Chip. Default 9600 baud rate. Use com0comport to create a virtual port, then GPSGate to stream the converted 4800 baud for Garmin Mobile PC usage. Also used simultaneously with Google Earth Plus (GPS-enabled version) using GPSGate, works great!

* Hardware Input: Using Dinovo Mini bluetooth keyboard, it has a built in touchpad for quick mouse navigation. http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/ke.../3848&cl=us,en

* Battery: 6-6.5 hours for regular usage with Wifi turned on. Sometimes i get 7 hours, it all depends on your settings and how you use it. Still it's way longer than netbooks/laptops which has 2.5-4 hours average battery lifetime.

* Ports: 1 USB 2.0, 1 Mini USB, 1 VGA Out,

My feedback:

Great for mobile users, a real Ultramobile PC. People won't even know that you're using a full-blown PC. Easy to covertly sneak inside the office, mistaken for a PMP/PSP *teehee!*

All-in-One device, everything you can install and do on a desktop you can use in it, except graphics-intensive apps/games, not until the OpenGL capability of GMA500 has been enabled by the lame drivers currently available.

Screen is so small some people will have a hard time navigating. It's all about configuration. Sometimes it gets quite hot when using for extended periods, 71 degrees celsius. GPS works great. Sound is crisp and loud. Use a hardware input if you chat/type intensively.

Also, under Windows XP i tried StarCraft Broodwars, MechCommander and Diablo2 on this thing and it rocks!

Overall, a great device for techies and mobile users.

*Written using my Viliv S5
    Last edited by jembot; 10-31-2009, 12:46.

Comment

I saw these units available now at Festival supermall here in Alabang, the S5 is about P49K with option for 3G as well as its big brother , the bigger X70 (P56K I think) communication MID, very tempting if I have the funds . Saw the units at Cosmotech at 3rd floor

Comment

Originally posted by jspalaroan View Post
        I saw these units available now at Festival supermall here in Alabang, the S5 is about P49K with option for 3G as well as its big brother , the bigger X70 (P56K I think) communication MID, very tempting if I have the funds . Saw the units at Cosmotech at 3rd floor
        There are 4 variations in model specs for Viliv S5. Is 49K the baseprice? Base unit is the basic S5 with no 3G/HSDPA and only a 60GB HDD.

Viliv-S5/Premium-H
        (Intel® Atom™ processor Z520 1.33GHz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD, GPS, Windows XP Home)
        $597.99

Viliv S5 Premium-S [Viliv-S5-S/32ssd]
        (Intel® Atom™ processor Z520 1.33GHz, 1GB Ram, 32GB HD Solid State HD, GPS, English Windows XP Home)
        $647.99

Viliv S5 Premium 3G [Viliv-S5/32ssd/3G]
        (Intel® Atom™ processor Z520 1.33GHz, 1GB Ram, 32GB SSD, GPS, Windows XP Home, Built in HSPA modem)
        $797.99

Viliv S5 Premium 3G (128gb) [Viliv-S5/128ssd/3G/Vista]
        (Intel® Atom™ processor 1.33GHz, 1GB Ram, 128GB SSD, GPS, Vista Home Premium w/FREE upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium, Built in HSPA modem)
        $1259.99

Btw, do they also have Viliv S5 accessories? I need the VGA out cable.

Thanks!
        Last edited by jembot; 11-01-2009, 09:42.

Comment

Originally posted by jembot View Post
          There are 4 variations in model specs for Viliv S5. Is 49K the baseprice? Base unit is the basic S5 with no 3G/HSDPA and only a 60GB HDD.

Viliv-S5/Premium-H
          (Intel® Atom™ processor Z520 1.33GHz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD, GPS, Windows XP Home)
          $597.99

Viliv S5 Premium-S [Viliv-S5-S/32ssd]
          (Intel® Atom™ processor Z520 1.33GHz, 1GB Ram, 32GB HD Solid State HD, GPS, English Windows XP Home)
          $647.99

Viliv S5 Premium 3G [Viliv-S5/32ssd/3G]
          (Intel® Atom™ processor Z520 1.33GHz, 1GB Ram, 32GB SSD, GPS, Windows XP Home, Built in HSPA modem)
          $797.99

Viliv S5 Premium 3G (128gb) [Viliv-S5/128ssd/3G/Vista]
          (Intel® Atom™ processor 1.33GHz, 1GB Ram, 128GB SSD, GPS, Vista Home Premium w/FREE upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium, Built in HSPA modem)
          $1259.99

Btw, do they also have Viliv S5 accessories? I need the VGA out cable.

Thanks!
          Yes, on the accessories, I saw like the holder/car mounting price was approx P3.4K i think, need to check if they have VGA out cable. You can call them at 659 2479 and cell 09238672444

Comment

GPS not working

I bought a Viliv S5 from a reseller last week. Even after following all the directions I read from your forum and downloading all the stuff recommended here and other similar sites I can't even have my GPS detected.

Can any of you Viliv S5 owners willing to help me out?

We can meet in Makati and have coffee as a sign of my thanks .

My cell is 0917-8146471.

Thanks and have a great weekend.

Comment

Garmin Mobile PC ver 5.00.10g for Viliv S5

Hello Everyone,
              My Viliv S5 just crashed and i was not able to recover it. I don't have backup installation file for GMPC ver 5.00.10g and there are no more available in the net. The latest version 5.00.70g can't be configured on my device. i would like to ask if anyone of you has the older file that i can install back in my UMPC. i am here in Norway and i just need to have a working GPS on my device. I hope i can get help from Viliv S5 owners out there. I will appreciate it so much. Thanks and God Bless

2-26-2013
              still looking and waiting....

3-3-2013
              still hoping....

3-10-2013
              still hopeful....
              Last edited by kopyo321; 03-11-2013, 02:13.
              ░░ N70º 14.821 E22º 20.847 ░░

Comment

Working...
              X