Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I briefly tried Base Camp and was not impressed. It has the US map installed and I don't see any way to install a better map. All additions like tracks and way points are about 100 meters off the one side.

Roadtrip is far better.

Comment

Hi! Sorry if I'm posting this again but I think this post is more appropriate in this thread. I'm using Roadtrip too. How do I mark waypoints 8-10m (25-30ft) perpendicular from the center of the road? I can move the waypoints but I don't know how to make sure that they're within that 8-10m perpendicular from the center of the road. I tried doing it in BaseCamp too but I couldn't load the demo map to it. I very seldom have access to a PC so Mapsource isn't an option right now. Thanks!

Comment

The way I did it was to get a peice of paper with a perpendicular edge. Over to the bottom left of the map screen there is a small scale. At full zoom in, that scale is 20m. I placed the paper on the screen and marked the 20m from the edge of my paper. I then folded that in half to get 10m. So, i just line up the edge of the paper with the center of the road and voila, I know where 10m is.

Very crude, but it worked

Comment

Haha! That's smart! Thanks swissknife! I thought about doin' something similar but I was kinda hoping that there's a simpler way to do it in Roadtrip. Now I know I can't do it with Roadtrip alone. Oh well... Now, where'd I put that good 'ol trusty Orion ruler?

Comment

Isn't there a way to extract the map from .exe file without going through Windows?

Comment

Originally posted by thisthick View Post
              Isn't there a way to extract the map from .exe file without going through Windows?
              no
              How to get the upgraded map.

It's a sick world and I'm a happy man...

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                no
                Is it possible for someone with the extracted file to post it here?

Comment

Is it possible for someone with the extracted file to post it here?
                  absolutely not.
                  tell you what, you teach us how to embed an eula in a zipped file for macintoa and well gladly post the macintosh version.

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                    absolutely not.
                    tell you what, you teach us how to embed an eula in a zipped file for macintoa and well gladly post the macintosh version.
                    1. Create a Philippine.zip with the following files inside

1.1 EULA.txt
                    1.2 Philippine Garmin.map

2. Zip it up

3. Distribute.

Microsoft/Adobe/Apple includes a .doc, .rtf or .txt of the EULA in the DVD/CD in which they distribute all their software with. I see no reason why this would not work with a user contributed map.

For added piece of mind they also include a EULA during the install.

Also Apple does not refer to their computers as Macintosh anymore. Mac will do. Medyo retro yung macintosh.

Comment

1. Create a Philippine.zip with the following files inside

1.1 EULA.txt
                      1.2 Philippine Garmin.map

2. Zip it up

3. Distribute.

Microsoft/Adobe/Apple includes a .doc, .rtf or .txt of the EULA in the DVD/CD in which they distribute all their software with. I see no reason why this would not work with a user contributed map.

For added piece of mind they also include a EULA during the install.

Also Apple does not refer to their computers as Macintosh anymore. Mac will do. Medyo retro yung macintosh.
                      doesn't work that way. that wont force you to click "i agree" and hence have no legal value.

Comment

Originally posted by asprec View Post
                        Hi hbt, Reiji0463,
                        I hope i'm on the correct thread now. Thanx for the advice earlier. Things are quite difficult with regard downloading of Mapsource because of a few items:

-I use a Mac, no software for the Mac so I have to use a pc laptop to get things going.
                        - Problems on DL of the Training Center and Mapsource on the pc, so I had to DL on Mac, then transfer it to pc to launch. So far, so good.
                        - Urgency and Excitement - I have 3 GPS that I want to get working for the Philippines and the intense need to do it right away (Leaving for Baguio on the weekend). So it just has to be ONE at a TIME.

Will try again and keep online.

Thanks
                        Any updates? Anyways, after you've successfully installed Mapsource in your PC, follow these steps so you'll have a MAC compatible Roadguide map:

1. Download and install MapConverter for Windows software version 2.1.1 on your Windows PC. Mapconvert will convert the Roadguide Mapsource map so that it will be compatible with MAC. Run Mapconvert to convert Roadguide Mapsource map.

2. Install RoadTrip for Mac software version 2.0.2 and MapInstall and MapManager for the Mac software version 2.1.5 in your MAC. Copy the converted Roadguide map to your MAC then install to Roadtrip using MapManager.

3. Check out Roadtrip and MapManager for the PDF help file so you'll learn the basics of using both software. You can also search the net for "How to's" in using Roadtrip.

... HTH
                        Last edited by Borgie; 04-30-2010, 10:18. Reason: copied this post from here http://roadguide.ph/forums/showpost.php?p=31709&postcount=44

Comment

Where to download...

Downloaded MAC softwares/converters here:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
                          MapConverter for Windows software version 2.1.1 http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=3897

as of February 18, 2010
                          Download (2.75 MB)

Notes:
                          * MapConverter converts maps and unlock codes on your Windows PC to the Macintosh format.
                          * View instructions on migrating Garmin map products from Windows to the Mac here. (PDF file- 245KB)
                          * Please send issues to Application.Support@garmin.com.
                          * Download and install the MapInstall/MapManager package to your Mac to complete the migration.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
                          RoadTrip for Mac software version 2.0.2 http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=4332

as of March 24, 2009
                          Download (52.72 MB)

Notes:

* RoadTrip allows you to transfer waypoints, tracks, and routes between your Mac and Garmin device and manage your data using your Garmin maps.
                          * RoadTrip provides the ability to search for points of interest from the convenience of your Mac and then send the locations to your Garmin GPS.
                          * The included utility MapManager copies maps and unlock codes into the right place to be accessible by RoadTrip and MapInstall. To migrate the maps from your Windows PC, download MapConverter onto your PC and follow the instructions.
                          * Download and install MapConverter for Windows to convert your unlocked PC maps for use on your Mac.
                          * System Requirements: Intel-based or PowerPC G4 or later Mac OS 10.4.11 or later, 512 MB RAM, USB port

Recommended: Intel-based Mac OS 10.5 or later, 1 GB RAM, USB port

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
                          MapInstall and MapManager for the Mac software version 2.1.5 http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=3825

as of February 24, 2010
                          Download (21.25 MB)

Notes:

* MapInstall installs maps onto your Garmin USB GPS devices and SD card readers. Note that there is currently no support for serial or Palm devices.
                          * MapManager copies maps and unlock codes into the right place to be accessible by MapInstall and Training Center. To migrate the maps from your Windows PC, download MapConverter onto your PC and follow the instructions.
                          * System Requirements: Intel-based or PowerPC G3 or later Mac OS 10.4 or later, 512 MB RAM, USB port
                          * Download and install MapConverter for Windows to convert your unlocked PC maps for use on your Mac.

Comment

For user without windows

Hi! This site is soo great!! Thanks for all the effort.

I'm super newbie here so please pardon for my silly question.. Here goes.

I'm also a mac user. I've been searching for the PH map to use for Garmin Road Trip. And i came across osmphil_garmin.gmapi. But its not detailed enough. specially the provincial area. Although I was able to use on roadtrip since it has .gmapi extension.

But my problem is I don't have windows for me to convert the "roadguide.ph demo map.exe". Is there any other solution for me to convert the file?

Thanks in advance for helping out a noob.

Comment

Originally posted by art2rugrace View Post
                              But my problem is I don't have windows for me to convert the "roadguide.ph demo map.exe". Is there any other solution for me to convert the file?
                              Methinks there's no workaround for that conversion, can't do without windows. But if you can attend an eb (check the forum from time to time for announcements) i'm sure there would be somebody willing to give you the converted gmapi file...

Comment

I use Garmin Roadtrip along with Garmin Mapinstall and Garmin MapManager. I don't do any conversions or use any Windows files.

I connect the GPS to the Mac then when the GPS disk image mounts I open the Garmin folder and copy (drag and drop) gmapsupp.img to the Garmin folder.

I then use Mapmanager or MapInstall to install the map.

Comment

Working...
                                X