X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garmin Roadtrip & Basecamp for Mac OS X

Hello Everyone,

I have been a mac user for years. I prefer not to get into a typical PC vs MAC discussion because there's just loads of other websites devoted to it.

What I would like this thread to be is focus on Garmin support for Mac OS X.

Mapsource isn't available for Mac OS X so I am currently running it via Boot Camp. What Garmin offers is two applications;

1. Garmin Roadtrip
    2. Garmin Basecamp beta

I've downloaded both programs and followed the Garmin website's instructions.

To save you guys a lot of trouble. Basically Roadtrip is for use for vehicle based Garmin devices (nuvi being one of them) while Basecamp is Garmin's ongoing effort to create a unified application both for vehicle and non-vehicle based GPS support.

Caveats....

Roadtrip will allow you to use roadguide.ph's Philippines Routable Map 5.17 as well as the Demo Map (1.06 as of this writing). I used Garmin's mapconverter for Windows on the maps and I was able to import them into roadtrip using Garmin Mapmanager (for OS X).

Waypoints work as well as Route but the Roadtrip app doesn't have great Track support.

Basecamp beta is much better however there is no way to import maps into it (I assume because it's still in Beta). However as a mac user, I found it very mac-like in terms of ease of use.

What takes me awhile to do in Mapsource in Windows, Basecamp and Roadtrip follow the mac convention of ease of use.

I am testing the waypoint import and export function and I think it's well enough for me to use Roadtrip for now to contribute POIs. It's much faster compared to using BootCamp/Mapsource

Very nice info...

I have a friend who has a Mac and he has downloaded the Roadtrip and Basecamp programs already. I'll be helping him next week install the roadguide demo map in his Mac and this info is very timely. Thanks a lot for sharing...

Comment

Can't seem to find the link for the 1.06 mac demo map...

Was looking here: http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=17

help please

Comment

The latest 1.07c version of our map works with Roadtrip too. Roadtrip is a bit slow though.

Comment

So is there actually any software for Mac OX?

Using Bootcamp means running Windoze on a Mac and I prefer to avoid anything Microsoft. The viruses can't hurt the Mac but I just don't want the hassle.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Skywoolf View Post
            So is there actually any software for Mac OX?

Using Bootcamp means running Windoze on a Mac and I prefer to avoid anything Microsoft. The viruses can't hurt the Mac but I just don't want the hassle.

Thanks
            There is... install Garmin roadtrip in your MAC. However, as mentioned by Dave_D, you need to first convert the roadguide map using Garmin Mapconvert for Windows that you install in a PC with windows OS. Afterwards, just copy the converted file to your MAC then import into Garmin roadtrip using Garmin Mapmanager. HTH

Comment

I just dowloaded mapinstall, mapmanager, POI Loader and Roadtrip for Mac.

I opened Roadtrip and was easily able to create points of interest on the Mac and send them to the GPS.

I haven't looked at creating roads yet or correcting errors. I have seen errors by just browsing around Davao and places in Manila where I lived before.

Click here to get them.

Comment

Originally posted by Skywoolf View Post
                I just dowloaded mapinstall, mapmanager, POI Loader and Roadtrip for Mac.

I opened Roadtrip and was easily able to create points of interest on the Mac and send them to the GPS.

I haven't looked at creating roads yet or correcting errors. I have seen errors by just browsing around Davao and places in Manila where I lived before.

Click here to get them.
                Great! Correcting errors is also a good way to contribute. Start first on those areas you are very familiar with and where you can also gather the correct waypoints using your GPS...

Comment

I will get the details on the procedure later. I am still getting used to it all.

An area of particular interest to me is Samal Island where I have four pieces of land in widely separated areas. There are no roads at all shown on your map so I can accurately plot them by driving around I guess.

Most of the errors I see are the same sort of errors as Google Earth where people guess the location of places but don't really know.

Comment

If you plan to map the roads of Samal Island, please familiarize first how to do 1 second tracking (assuming you haven't done so yet), how to extract said tracks from the Nuvi and into Mapsource. You can make these trials in your daily runs. Same goes for gathering waypoints too. It might become very frustrating if you go out to gather those tracks and waypoints, spending time and fuel, and end up missing something because you're not familiar how to do it. There's lots of info in the "How to's" btw... Hope to see your contributions soon...

Comment

Will do.

I will check and practice before doing anything to send you.

I never spent much time learning all the intricacies of my Lowrance but that is far more complex anyway.

I intend to spend time figuring out everything on the Garmin. Its a much simpler unit so it shouldn't be difficult.

Comment

I just installed Garmin Roadtrip and yes, it's very Mac-ish interface. Easy and simple to navigate. Good thing we now have an app for Mac coz restarting my Mac to bootcamp solely for Mapsource is a pain in the ass. LOL. So I guess we don't need to use MapInstall to transfer maps to our Garmin device coz Roadtrip can do exactly just that right?

Question, what exactly is the difference between Roadtrip and Basecamp besides not having a detailed Philippine map? Both can do waypoints, tracks, routes, send and receive from the device. Do they complement each other? TIA guys!

Comment

I guess you mean what is the difference between Roadtrip and Mapsource?

Basecamp is the Mac software that enables you to run Windoze software on a Mac.

Comment

Nope, I really mean Basecamp which is another similar app for Roadtrip. Well I googled my question and found out that Basecamp is more on outdoor mapping. That differentiates it I guess.

OT: Are Mac users here philmug members as well?

Comment

My apologies, I was thinking of Boot Camp. My memory is pretty bad these days.

I am downloading Base Camp now.

I joined the online Philippines MUG but have not been active.

I was the first Apple Dealer in Asia around 1981 with the Apple II and been using Apple ever since. I sold and used the original IBM but stopped using PCs many years ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X